2011 Cartoon compared to the Classic 1985 cartoon

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by xluckinekostylex, Jul 30, 2016.

1. xluckinekostylex

xluckinekostylex Glass Walker

MODERATOR NOTE: Posts have been moved to this new thread due to going off topic in the previous thread.

The fans of the original series should grow-up a bit, and start appreciate the reboot . If the 2011 series had more good reviews, positive ones. Some episodes are good, some not so good. As far as I concerned; the franchise should have celebrated once again!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2016
  2. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

why do fans of the original NEED to GROW up and APPRECIATE anything? Nobody has to do anything they don't want to. and FYI I was a grownup when I came across both of the series which I watched together. Do I need to grow up too? What you need to do is accept the fact that not everyone is going to like the reboot, it's their choice and they have every right to love it or hate it.

Mark M likes this.
  3. mr freeze

mr freeze Laser Beast

i agree the 2011 t cats were not the greatest of effort on bandai's behalf . the whole thing from cartoon to figures just isn't my cup of tea . i really liked the bandai classic line it was a shame it didn't last .

4. xluckinekostylex

I'm saying is that original fans should respect the reboot for what it is.

5. mumm_ra_n_rana

respect is earned, not given.

6. Serval

Serval Crabman

I'm not sure if I have the minority or majority opinion here, but I absolutely loved the reboot. I was sad that it was terminated prematurely. The animation quality was superb. Obviously, I like the original TC more, but I was quite impressed with the reboot.

adssse and xluckinekostylex like this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The animation was nice but the writing was awful. The episodes were very hit and miss. The people making it should have paid more attention to the MOTU 200X reboot. Now that is how it is done right.
    I grew watching and getting toys and comics of both the Filmation and New Adventures of He-Man cartoons and loved both of them. The 200X reboot was great and paid a lot of respect to the original series and comics. Something that cannot be said for the 2011 series.
    Everyone was sceptical when Nickelodeon bought TMNT in 2010 and just look at the new success it has gone on to have.

The 2011 series was what it was. The next company that gets Thundercats need to start from scratch with a new series/movie.

8. mumm_ra_n_rana

those silly rumors have started up again. Now they're saying the thundercats movie is going to be out in 2018. XD

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Some how I doubt it. There has bene talk of a new He-Man movie since 2003. But stranger things have happened. I recall when they said Ghostbusters 2016 wouldn't happen and it was just a rumour...

10. mumm_ra_n_rana

I kind of wish it WAS a rumor.

mr freeze likes this.
  11. gingaio

gingaio Active Member

It's not like the original TC was Shakespeare. It was a silly 80s cartoon, albeit better in terms of world-building. Were it not for the whiff of nostalgia that accompanies the original, it'd hardly be watchable; as it stands, it's fun to watch from time to time, but it's technically not "good" viewing. The re-do was not so great, but that's partly because it doesn't come flavored with pleasant childhood memories; on the other hand, an episode like "Song of the Petalars" contains genuine pathos, something that no original episode has.

xluckinekostylex likes this.
  12. mumm_ra_n_rana

Except I'm not blinded by nostalgia since I only watched the original a few months ago. It watched it WITH the reboot. Episodes that features beings like the drifter and the petalars just felt out of place as if they should have gotten their own tv shows or even a movie.
    As for the original. I enjoy it much more than the reboot and that's completely WITHOUT nostalgia and I found it VERY watchable.

ExelArts and Mark M like this.
  13. mr freeze

mr freeze Laser Beast

i'am with you on that .

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I never said it was Shakespeare. The original series is an odd one. While yes I enjoy a lot of the episodes I seen growing up. The half of season one that I did not see growing up until I got the DVDs I also enjoyed. But the episodes after Thundercats Ho that I seen on DVD I did not enjoy as much. I found them very hit and miss.
    I do find the designs, characters, mythos and world superior to the 2011 series.
    It's funny you should pick ''Song of the Petlars'' as that is a good example of the faults with the writing on the show. It did not feel like a Thundercats episode. The Petlars were the stars and most interesting thing in the episode. The presence of the Thundercats was irrelevant. It also did nothing for the ongoing story except having Panthro turn up at the end which could have been done at the end of the pilot or any other episode. The concept and story of the Petlars felt like a movie idea of the writer that was just shoe horned into a Thundercats episode.

mumm_ra_n_rana likes this.
  15. xluckinekostylex

Come on man, both series rule! I mean the Song of Petalars was influenced by Ghibli Movies.

Mark M likes this.
  16. mumm_ra_n_rana

which is why it felt severely out of place in the thundercats world!

17. xluckinekostylex

Who cares? Well if want to go for nostalgic cheesiness, instead of character development, that's fine.

18. mumm_ra_n_rana

you seem to forget I HAVE NO NOSTALGIA toward the original. I watched both series TOGETHER! so for no part that argument holds no weight.

19. xluckinekostylex

I had to agree with gingaio.

20. gingaio

gingaio Active Member

A lot of the original episodes were basically written in Mad Libs style...Lion-O and the Thundercats face _____ threat, then in combatting the threat face mortal peril in the form of _______, Lion-O uses the sword (cue animation sequence) and defeats the threat, everyone celebrates in the Cat's Lair by standing in a circle and iterating the life lesson learned in that episode, Snarf says something idiotically funny (or funnily idiotic?), and everyone laughs.

So the quality of a "typical" Thundercats episode doesn't strike me as a good thing, or as a reason for why the new series (which is more serial in nature) is lacking.

"Song of the Petalars" essentially takes the Lion-O-learns-a-life-lesson-via-an-alien-creature storyline (frequently used in the original series), but infuses it with some bittersweet moments that, again, none of the original series episodes offered, as hackneyed as they were. I would argue that while the Petalars were interesting characters, they were there to Help Lion-O Learn Something (like the "Berbils" episode in the original series)...in this case, a weary Lion-O questioning the purpose of his journey. Unlike the "Berbils" episode, this one actually involves the death of the Petalar character, leading to a genuine moment of grief for the Thundercats, who find in that death inspiration for their ongoing struggle, and who decide to go down fighting...and then Panthro shows up to rescue them. So saying the Thundercats are "irrelevant" to this episode is completely missing the point, IMO.

Again, I don't think of either series as great art, but at least the new show moved me in one instance, and that counts for something.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Serval and xluckinekostylex like this.