2011 Cartoon compared to the Classic 1985 cartoon

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by xluckinekostylex, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

A great point you make Mark! :thumbsup A lot of the big budget movies these days just don't care at all about creating a unique soundtrack for themselves. Gone are the days of John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith. Those guys gave each of their movies a unique sound that we still hum even today. I can't even tell the difference between the music used in most of the Marvel movies. :(

Alan Silvestri's older works are great, like "Predator" and "Back to the Future". :)

Mark M likes this.
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I really like Silvestri's Delta Force theme.

3. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Agreed! I have two of his Back to the Future CDs, Predator and Flight of the Navigator. All great fun. If you're interested, Intrada Records in the US have released his complete scores to the first two BTTF films.

4. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

Some of the music from the watchmen movie is pretty memorable. I downloaded the tracks I really enjoyed from that film.

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I need to watch that movie as I still have not seen it fully. Only seen bits of it on TV.

6. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

it's a pretty long movie. just to warn you.

7. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

The songs or Tyler Bates' score?

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Is the movie any good? I have heard mixed opinions on it.

litefoot likes this.
  9. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

It's not bad. Certainly interesting and it probably came ten years too early to be a success (before comic films had become a goldmine - the first Iron Man film was only a year old at that point).

The cast are unknowns and it does have some memorable stuff in it. It's quite dark in places and many of the characters aren't as likable as say, Captain America and Thor are.

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I see. I am not very familiar with Watchmen. Comic movies are still not guaranteed financial or critical successes...especially if they aren't Marvel. ;)

litefoot likes this.
  11. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Never a truer word spoken! Warners must be wondering what they have to do to make a popular DC film! :)

Having seen the trailer for Wonder Woman, I'm still not sold.

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Me and Wilycub have discussed this quite a bit. For DC to compete with Marvel they should stop using Snyder and trying to make all there films like Nolan's Batman movies and if they are going to have a cinematic universe they should introduce the characters better by having them in movies firt before grouping them together. Like if the villains from Suicide Squad had appeared in other films first. Same with Wonder Woman, her movie should have come out before introducing her in Dawn of Justice.

Wilycub and litefoot like this.
  13. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Agreed - Warners obviously saw the success of The Avengers and thought - 'scratch all these individual hero films, let's make Justice League straightaway and make a ton of cash' which is a serious mistake.

I saw there was a petition to get Snyder to direct the next Batman film. Why would you hire someone who has already made three DC films and not quite cracked it with any of them? I was baffled, frankly. You could argue that Watchmen was his best!

Ben Affleck wants out too...

http://www.darkhorizons.com/ben-affleck-wants-to-give-up-being-batman/

Wilycub and Mark M like this.
  14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I ddnt know Snyder directed Watchmen. I am not a fan of Nolan's Batman movies but in the last decade plus they have been DC only successful movies.
    Marvel worked hard to have successful movies and built up there cinematic universe even if some of the mvies were not great like Thor 2, Iron Man 3 and Hulk etc.

litefoot likes this.
  15. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Snyder also directed 300 and Sucker Punch, which were both based on comics I think. But Marvel just seemed to do everything a lot better. If Warner execs have any sense they'll dump Snyder and find someone else.

Now if Marvel could have better villains and create some memorable themes, they'll cement their position at the top of the tree.

Mark M likes this.
  16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I believe 300 was a Frank Miller comic. As well as replacing Snyder I think DC should look into changing the script writers.

I like most of Marvel's villains. Loki is the best. It's just a shame the other villains don't appear in more than one movie.

litefoot likes this.
  17. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

As Mark said, we have discussed the whole Snyder fiasco many times! :) He has a certain "style" of filmmaking, a style that might suit a movie like "300" but not a Superman movie.

The great thing about Marvel is that they give the directing job to different people based on their strengths. For example, for "Ant-Man", which had a more humorous tone, they picked Peyton Reed whose forte is comedy. The result is we get movies which feel different and suit their superheroes. DC on the other want Snyder to direct everything. And even when he is not directing a DC movie, he and his wife will be the executive producers, ensuring that he has a big hand in guiding the appointed director. So the movie ends up looking like it was directed by Snyder (Suicide Squad).

I really have no interest in DC movies until they stop making everything so dark and gloomy. And this coming from someone who is a bigger fan of DC comics than Marvel comics! :)

Mark M and litefoot like this.
  18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I agree. Marvel took a real risk with James Gunn directing Guardians of the Galaxy, yet it was one the most financially and critically successful Marvel movies.
    The biggest problem DC has is that the Nolan Batman movies and Man of Steel did nothing to really start a DC cinematic universe.
    DoJ when compared to the first Avengers movie is nowhere near as good.

litefoot and Wilycub like this.
  19. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Guardians is so damn fun. My favourite Marvel movie, I think. The first trailer for the second film makes it look even more fun than the first one. Looking forward to it more than the other Marvel films.

20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I have only seen Guardians of the Galaxy once at the cinema. I have the DVD but haven't watched it since seeing it in the cinema. Must watch it again sometime. I recently watch the animated series which was quite good.

litefoot likes this.