2011 & Marvel (Star) Snarf

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by adssse, Nov 2, 2016.

1. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I have recently been reading through some of the Marvel comics and it just dawned on me how the color scheme of the 2011 Snarf is much more similar to the Marvel version than it is the RB version. The style is obviously very different, but the darker maroon and more muted yellow are in common. I wonder how intentional this was and wonder if Dan Norton ever made mention of drawing inspiration from the old comics?

Marvel
    [​IMG]

RB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daremonger and Wilycub like this.
  2. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Interesting comparison, adssse. It certainly looks possible that Dan Norton and his team may have been inspired by the comic version of Snarf. Even the RB cartoon Snarf had slightly darker red fur, but not as dark as the comic or the 2011 Snarf. Snarfer on the other hand had bright red fur. I believe Snarf Eggbert had dark maroon fur, just like the 2011 Snarf. :)

My only gripe with the comic Snarf was the red around his eyes! ;)

Daremonger likes this.
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think this was more of an influence on the 2011 Snarf. ;)
    upload_2016-11-2_10-32-41.png

Daremonger, Wilycub and shortfuse like this.
  4. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

[​IMG]
    This concept certainly would have been interesting as well

Daremonger likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I like this look a lot more than the look they went for....the facial hair anyway. Overall this look gives Snarf more character. However this look screams him having a voice and personality hence why they probably went with the other look.

6. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

My biggest complaint of the new version is the didn't speak. I am probably in the minority but I think he could have provided much more.

Mark M likes this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I completely age with you. There are some episodes like 'The Duellist and the Drifter' that would have given Snarf some excellent dialogue with Lion-O. I rally liked Snarf as a character and his personality.
    Oddly enough in MOTU 200X I wasn't too bothered about Battlecat not being able to talk although it would have been better if he had still been able to talk like the Filmation cartoon.

8. Wilycub

Interesting that you make the comparison of Snarf with Battlecat. In both their original cartoons, the heroes' companions (Snarf/Battlecat) could talk while the villains' companions (Ma-Mutt/Panthor) could not. :)

Now that I think about, I don't think there really was any particular benefit/need for Battlecat to actually talk. I've only seen some episodes and he rarely has anything useful to say. As Cringer he is always scared a la Scooby Doo and as Battlecat he just can't wait to kick some butt a la Scrappy Doo. :biggrin

One could compare Battlecat to Snowmeow, as mainly a steed who didn't need to talk. But I guess in the original MOTU cartoons, he helped to add some humor and give Prince Adam/He-Man someone to talk to since he knew his double identity secret. :) Otherwise Orko might have ended up being in a lot more scenes to give Prince Adam someone to talk to, and I'm not particularly a fan of that idea! LOL! :laugh

I guess in the 2011 TCats and the 200X MOTU, the makers were going for the more "realistic" approach of not having the "animals" speak. Technically they were all animals, but some were more humanoid than others, and I'm guessing the general rule was that those who did not wear clothes shouldn't talk.

It's not that different in the original TCats with many creatures not being able to talk. The exceptions that I can remember are the Snarfs, Kudi, Spidera and Crownan.

Mark M likes this.
  9. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

There is some comparison between Snarf and Cringer but in my mind they are very different situations. Cringer was essentially an animal who could speak. I don't view the original Snarf as an animal at all but more of a different species ala Mermaids, Bolkins, etc. He had a number of responsibilities around the Lair and was a vital member of the team. I like the comparison with Snowmeow much better.

The design for the 2011 Snarf took a little getting used to but I am ok with it. The thing that still bothers me simply beyond not talking is that they made him more like a pet than a team member. If they felt the original was too corny they could have made him slightly more serious. By Dan Nortons description that Snarf was in fact impervious to damage, the result of ancient experimentation by Mumm-Ra to create a genetically-superior race that could have fit well.

Wilycub likes this.
  10. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I actually really like the left and right concepts in this
    [​IMG]

Mark M likes this.
  11. Wilycub

I agree. While Cringer was a real pet, Snarf was a member of the ThunderCats. No one thought of him as a pet.... except for some of the mocking villains. ;)

I like this unused design. :thumbsup Snarf looks older and more mature, which he actually is. In fact, according me, Snarf is just as wise, if not wiser than Jaga (who rarely was around when needed!). But a lot of people don't realize that and clump Snarf together with someone like Orko. Snarf was never as childish or mischievous or a troublemaker like Orko. If anything the ThunderKittens are more similar to Orko.

It would have been nice if the new series had made Snarf into a Yoda/Jimminy Cricket type mentor for Lion-O and the other ThunderCats.

adssse and Mark M like this.
  12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yes. I 100% agree. :snarf

13. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I agree with Wilycub as well. This would have been a nice change of pace if they wanted to go in a different direction. If I remember correctly Snarf was going to have a similar role in the abandoned "Rock Band Thundercats" concept.

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I am so glad the rock band concept was scrapped.

15. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I agree! I actually wouldn't mind if they targeted a slightly younger audience if they were going in a different direction but that seemed way off base. Interestingly enough Leseans Snarf design was probably the one that stayed the most true to the original in his concept art.

[​IMG]

Mark M likes this.
  16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think this was definitely going in the wrong direction. This seems like a concept originally for something else that then had Thundercats shoe horned into it.

adssse likes this.