2012 Thundercats toys first look!

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by balgus82, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Berserker

I cannot disagree, the original figures were badly designed too. But it was 1985, toy design standards were pretty low back then. Not only that, aesthetics in general are always progressive.

The comparison standard for me is the Masters of the Universe Classics line which is perfectly designed. Nothing to complain about, a perfect retake for the adult collectors (and our children).

As for the Lion-O statue, it's pretty sad because Bandai's designers probably just worked by seeing that instead of being actual fans of the show. And I don't blame them, it wasn't available in Japan...

But when something is wrong, somebody has to be blamed and this probably is Warner who selected Bandai instead of a company with designers familiar with the franchise.

2. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

Bandai

I am extremely thankful for thundercat toys, Ive been waiting 25 years for them, and ive supported this new take all the way, Ive watched every episode, spent close to $2000 and acquired multiples of everything. I think the reason why we fans are being so picky, at least in my part is that I see so many amazing toys now that these really feel below quality when compared.

I dont know if anyone here bought any of the new Saint Seiya action figures, but they were amazing, I collected a few and the sculpt of the faces was dead on, it looked in some instances identical to the cartoon drawing. not to mention that those are truly difficult toys because of all the accessories and armor parts (ironically they were made by BANDAI).

and of course the MOTU, those are also great toys

3. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

as much as I dislike Lion-O's face I love the new 6" Cheetara and Tygra. especially Tygra. the more I look at his figure the more I want it.

Merged Post:
    new pics! stormcharger and armor of omens. http://www.thundercatslair.org/2011/11/thundercats-bandai-storm-charger-and-armor-of-omens-revealed/

the stormcharger looks cool, but the Mumm-Ra figure is beyond lame.hope the normal Mumm-Ra fits in it. and idk about everyone else but I hope they release the armor of omens without that Lion-O somewhere down the line because i hate the limited articulation.

I also really hate how they said they worked with WB to get the stormcharger in the show more. I do NOT like the idea of the story being influenced by toy sales.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  4. mcss aerocoupe

mcss aerocoupe Moderator

I too dislike the limited articulation considering the rest of the line. But since the ThunderLynx works with all figures, you could use a non-exclusive Lion-O to activate the Armor.

But reading that article does give a couple spoiler hints

If Lion-O gets the Armor of Omens later like the article hints at, then he will need a second stone. And if he uses it to face the Armor of Plun-Darr, then Mumm-Ra has to have a stone for that too. And more than likely, Mumm-Ra will have a 2nd stone as well for the Sword of Plun-Darr. So Mumm-Ra will be getting his hands on 2 of the 3 stones that are known to exist.

5. balgus82

I actually meant the limited articulation on the armor rather than Lion-O. I've always hated figures whos legs don't bend.
    but you know how they release the zords on power rangers? one with limited articulation where they combine to form the megazord and then one that has better articulation but doesn't separate into the smaller zords? something like that.

also goldy Lion-O needs eyes..

6. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

new toys

the "mumm-ra" car looks cool, the mini mummra loos beyond lame, the armor looks ok ( depends on the articulation it has) why a gold lion-o?? where are they getting these ideas?? in the cartoon wasn't lion o WEARING the armor and not inside its torso area?? why couldn't they do an actual armor to put on and not a huge figure to stick a figure inside?? wonder how big the super mummra armor will be if its done to scale 14"

7. balgus82

they're actually sticking to how big the armor was in the show. i think it was a mistake not to make it more apparent, but if you rewatch Legacy look when Mumm-Ra first gets his armor. he attacks Leo before Leo gets his armor and you can see that Leo is only as tall as Mumm-Ra's knee. the armors are much bigger than their normal bodies. when Leo transforms he's as big as Mumm-Ra.

as for the golden Lion-O, the interview hints at it being in a future episode.

8. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

Updated the front page with these new additions :)

The Storm Charger looks cool from first impressions, I hope the head tilts up like in the cartoon!

9. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Berserker

I have to admit, the new series toys are amazing. If I was born 2 decades later, I would have been going nuts by now!! I will just have to live with the classics being badly designed... at least the 8" line will probably continue.

The best thing about Bandai (which can also be bad) is that they are using CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing) that lets them to easily resize their assembly parts. Therefore, making 8" and 6" figures will not require additional sculpts. Traditional sculpting is only used for highly detailed parts, like heads.

@MXTHUNDERCAT Yeah the new mummy Mumm-Ra is a bit random, if not awful.... but the vehicle and armour indeed look flawless.

10. mcss aerocoupe

mcss aerocoupe Moderator

Unless I am hallucinating the knees, elbows, head, and fingers are confirmed to bend. I assume bending knees means ankles too so that it can keep the bottom of the feet level. The only articulation I see that is missing is hips, wrists and waist.

11. cloudraker19

cloudraker19 Crabman

I like it all, next year is going to be awesome!

12. Kameinu

Kameinu Mutant

I have to say..Bandai is starting to impress me. I'm seeing a bit of Bandai Japan quality in that Tygra and Cheetara.

I actually don't mind the angry face on that Lion-O. Wouldn't be my top choice, but atleast it helps set it appart from the 8" one.

Also..I'm assuming nothing on the 8" line? =/

13. balgus82

all I see is for sure is neck, shoulder, and tail. ignore that second fullbody image. it's an earlier prototype (gauntlets and feet are different and it seems to have knee and elbow joints that the other images don't have.) the elbows could be jointed, but it's hard to see in the other images (if they're there they won't have clearance to bend far). you can tell the knees don't bend in the image from the backside where someone is pushing a button. the only other articulation is where the front opens to insert Lion-O.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  14. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

more classics

stepping away for a moment from the multiple complaints of all the new figures........werent we supposed to have a total of 4 classics figures by wave 2?? although im one of the ones who supports the size reduction....in return now we only get one new classics (mumm-ra) if they really want to be fair they should release the lion-o and tygra in 6" to make up for the 8" fiasco and also release 2 new of the classics (mummra and panthro perhaps???)

15. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

Bandai have said to stay tuned for more new product reveals. So we may see some new 8" Classics as well...?

16. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

I hope so because they were supposed to be releasing 2 at at time and with the size change were getting a repeat lion o and re releasing 6" tygra will take up prime real estate on some future wave

17. ASOE!

ASOE! Junior Member

I was severely disappointed when I discovered how the Armor of Omens was such a brick compared to the one prototype picture with the decent articulation.

I don't know why I bothered. The first round of figures were overpriced and lacking.

18. Chromeagle

Chromeagle Barbarian

Kinda retarded huh? Yes I have seen the originals, actually I see them every day because I have my large collection on display. The only thing the OG Mumm Ra is missing was a cape. Sure they are not all show acurate but In my opinion they are the greatest toy line ever made. Give me the old figures anyday over the new crap they are putting out.

19. Snarfer

Snarfer Junior Member

To be fair, most of the LJN figures were quite good, better than other toy lines that were released at the time, including TMNT and MOTU. Pumyra, Lynxo, and Bengali were very well done (It's a shame that they've never released the Lunatacs). However, Lion-O has jaundice, Mumm Ra has a ginormous head relative to his body, and Panthro is squatting, taking a ...?

The 8" Classic Lion-O of 2011 is by far the most cartoon accurate depiction ever created. Nothing even compares. Not the statues. Even Mezco's rendition does not quite capture the look or character of Lion-O. The new classic figures by Bandai are AMAZING, but most humans are too spoiled to notice. Is there room for improvement? Yes.:D

P.S: The Lion-O from the new series desperately needs a new head sculpt. I'm glad they improved upon Tygra's head sculpt for the 6 inch line. The Tygra from the 4 inch line was not toon accurate at all (it was the weakest figure).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  20. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

Given that the figures are probably already being produced and Bandai is not going to change the molds...ill compromise and only ask for two things on that mumm-ra

PLEASE ADD A CAPE, EVEN IF ITS SOME CHEAP READ PIECE OF CLOTH

PLEASE ADD THE SWORD OF PLUNDARR

ILL SETTLE FOR THAT AND I THINK A LOT OF THE DISAPPOINTED FANS WILL FEEL A LITTLE BETTER