2012 Thundercats toys first look!

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by balgus82, Nov 15, 2011.

1. spiderkat

spiderkat New Member

no cape

Yeah, there's definitely not going to be a cape. It would have made the figure more expensive to produce, so they opted not to include it.

2. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

weapons

thats a bummer...how do you know for sure??? its not like they are cheap....$20 at toys r us, what about weapons?? sword of plundarr??

3. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

I'll probably have a go at making my own cloth cape :) In a way I'm glad it's been left off, as we might have got a hardish plastic cape that hindered articulation :(

It seems fabric accessories are no longer produced for action figures these days :(

4. Tygra

Tygra Thunderian Legend

Wow, not sure how I missed this news.

The 6" Classic figures are disappointing. I really dislike the screaming Lion-O face and the Mumm-Ra alone isn't going to get me to collect the new 6" line.

The new 6" Tygra and Cheetara look amazing, though. It's great to see that Bandai corrected the black pegs. These two will be bought on sight.

Hopefully Snarf and the Kittens get released in the 6" line soon.

The Storm Charger and Armor of Omens look cool, but I'm not interested. I'd probably be tempted to get the Armor of Omens if they bothered to give it decent articulation, but that thing looks stiff as hell. :rolleyes:

5. Booyah!

Booyah! Moleman

That's what she said! :D

Really, tho I'm ready for the 4" fig pics.

6. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Berserker

Mezco does justice. Pictures speak for themselves. Mezco must also produce a highly articulated MOTUC-style 6" line and put an end to that misery.

Anyway, the spikes on Bandai's 6" Classic Mumm-Ra could be indicative for a cloth cape. It might give an illusion that his arms are not as tiny as they actually are.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  7. Ianm1225

Ianm1225 Glass Walker

8. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

Just saw the new 4"

basically besides claudus and slithe everything else is a repeat.....guess we will have to wait until next summer to get a real new set of figures

given that the last 4" deluxe were not that great and had limited articulation i would venture to say this will be the case with deluxe slithe and deluxe panthro....

claudus looks ok....i wish they had put him out in a 6" cause the 4"inch line i dont care for

the rest are all repeats with minor alterations..another mummra, another lion o, another panthro

i guess theres not much else they can put out since the series hasnt progressed too much and all the villain characters have been one timers

wheres jaga?? i really hope they bring him in on the next wave

9. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

hmmm... what's with the cybernetic arms on Panthro? reminds me of Jax from Mortal Kombat. and is Lion-O in mid transformation or will he be able to make the gauntlet grow without a full transformation?
    Merged Post:
    ya know on one hand I like that they will be getting more powerful as the show goes on and that they gradually change over time.

but on the other hand I worry that they'll change TOO much and the show won't feel like Thundercats anymore by the time it ends.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  10. Booyah!

Booyah! Moleman

Looks like Slithe is coming with the thing that Mumm-Ra kept Jaga's spirit in.

This was also interesting from the interview:

AMANDA: Lion-O and Panthro are part of the core ThunderCats team so they will always be included in the line. The changes in their look in the toy line correspond to the storyline and we've worked closely with WB on the timing of their release.

So, I guess that means Panthro will get metal arms on the show....? :eek:

11. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

yup. makes sense in a way. he's the tech head of the group. I can see him building them to be stronger. or maybe his arms could get badly hurt in a fight and he makes them out of necessity.

12. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Berserker

Maybe he'll get some arm protectors just like Cheetara got her new bow.

13. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

14. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

I dont mind them repeating panthro and lion o as many times as they want, but add more than just a couple new figures (slithe and claudus), the old LJN toys added both evil and good characters in the different waves, if I remember correctly wave 2 added tuska, snowman, hatchiman, grune, rataro, vultureman, 6 new figures with a constant size that made your collection really grow

15. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

Will we be getting a re-release new 6" inch lion-o?

16. Knightmare

Knightmare Junior Member

I am officially done with BOTH lines from Bandai. The switch to 6'' classics aggravated me, but after seeing that disaster of a head for the "new" classics Lion-O, I am done.

Bandai is clearly not focused, and we should be looking forward to 8'' Mumm-Ra and filling out the rest of the team for 2012, not restarting with a different scale.

Get you s**t together Bandai, cause I know I am not the only one from my generation with nostalgic disposable income who is backing out of this.

17. Tygra

Tygra Thunderian Legend

I have mixed feelings on the new 4" figures. While Claudus and Slithe look great, the Panthro and Lion-O make me nervous about the direction the show is heading in. The Armor of Omens arm isn't that bad, but I do not like Panthro's Jax arms at all. Panthro already kicks some serious ass, he doesn't really need metal arms.

I'd rather the Thundercats overcome obstacles without having to rely on power-ups or anything like that. After a certain point it might just start looking like Power Rangers. :(

18. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Berserker

They are focusing way too much into bringing anime elements into the series while moving away from all the original ideas and values of the classic show. The problem is that if a parent finds it lame, the child will naturally agree. It all starts looking like Saint Seiya fused with Digimon and the majority of parents are not fond of such styles.

Children alone are not enough decisive for supporting such a franchise, as even if one parent per area dislikes it, it will cause his child to spread at school that the show is lame. I hope that cliffhangers and plot twists will keep the interest alive, while a carefully directed parallel universe crossover would definitely save this otherwise well made retake.

As for a crossover, I am a little bit suspicious that the change of size for the classics is not completely due to competition with the MOTUC line. Telling also by 6" classic Mumm-Ra's little arms and giant hands as well as Lion-O's anime fangs, there is a slight possible evidence of a strategy to release the classics line in a size compatible to play with the modern figures supported by a crossover within the modern series.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  19. Tommyx13

Tommyx13 Junior Member

I've got mixed feelings about all the new figures they've shown...

I wont be buying the new classics 6" figures anytime soon. I'll wait and see if they really will continue to do some 8" figures and how well the 6" line fills out. I'd prefer to wait for a closed mouth Lion-O too, if possible.

The second series of 6" figures from the new show look GREAT!!! I passed on the first wave but might go back and pick them up if they continue to look this good. I'd prefer more than two new figures per series but they'd probably just give us new variants of Lion-O and we really dont need that.

The stylized figures look horrible. They couldve been so cute (see the 2010 Power Rangers set Bandai produced) but they didnt execute them as well as I had hoped. I'm sure many will like them but they're an easy pass for me.

The 4" figures get me mildly irritated. Claudus looks amazing...cant wait to get him. Variants of figures we've already got filling out the line is the irritating part. We've got a massive cast of characters on the show already with many more to come. Jaga is an obvious choice. Lynx-O would be nice too, but they might be waiting for him to have more of a presence on the show. We've also got the fish people, the various animal warriors from legacy, the elephant people, the berbils, etc. So many options to fill out third earth and I'm sure kids would love them. Repacking the main cats in the assortment is an easy way to keep them on the shelves. Or one variant in every wave would be ok.

The deluxe figures are even more frustrating. I skipped Lion-O and Tygra from the first wave and expected Panthro to be an easy pass...he is. Slythe looks great! But his articulation looks to be compromised by the action feature. And he doesnt have any weapons....I'm sure he will be released in the next wave as a regular figure (see Mumm-Ra) for half the price with more articulation so its not a huge deal but I think they could give us more for the money. Deluxe figures cost 2x as much as the regular figures. It would be nice if they included maybe a little berbil in with each deluxe figure. Sculpt a few variants and repaint them a million times...I'd buy every crappy, articulation-less panthro variant they threw at us if he came with a berbil. They could also include more mini figures like maybe a smaller Snarf on all fours, a Petlar, etc. It just doesnt seem like what they are giving us is worth the price.

Soo..I'm super excited to get Claudus and Slythe but will probably skip the variants. Might get into the 6" line but not sure yet. I hope the next wave gives us more new characters. By then we should (hopefully) have Monkians and Jackelmen and maybe even some new thundercats on the show so they can go crazy. I'd also like an Elephant man or two, Driller, and they need to get us some berbils ASAP.

20. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

I agree with you, earlier i basically posted the same u posted......they arent giving us much new stuff, besides claudus, 6: mummra, and slithe, everything has already been out in another sized or form.........