After Watching the Transformers Movie...

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by Mark / Grizzlor, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

...I REALLY want a ThunderCats movie to be made and seeing how much money Transformers raked in for Paramount and Dreamworks (160M in one week), I guarantee you MOTU and ThunderCats will get greenlit.

If WB can keep the spirit of these two franchises intact just as Michael Bay was able to do with TF, I have no doubt ThunderCats can satisfy both new and old fans alike.

I am very optimistic now.

2. Vintage

Vintage Glass Walker

I'm really looking forward to see this movie! Maybe this Thursday!

I've seen the trailers and TV Specials and the images I've seen are awesome.

I've also seen the trailers for The Simpsons and since it is 2D (with the help of some computer skills, of course) I believe Thundercats could have been done with this technique, because The Simpsons do look great!

3. catspat

catspat also known as...Leppardra

Then let's hope Larry Kenney can do Lion-O for the T-Cats film. And if Warner Brothers doesn't get the rest of the surviving original cast to reprise their old roles, I'll never forgive them. I mean, what would a T-Cats movie be without Lynne Lipton, Peter Newman, Earle Hyman, Doug Preis, and Gerianne Raphael? :D

4. MannysCollectibles

MannysCollectibles Legacy Team Member

160 Mill in one week? I knew it did good but not THAT good. Wow that is great news. Look out for more 80's properties to come out within the next 2-3 years. I'm almost sure that if we dont see a new Thundercats series we will see a movie. We will get one or the other Im almost sure or perhpas both. Let's hope if there's any toys that they do them justice as well

5. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

See, I don't think you'll ever enjoy any type of reincarnation of ThunderCats because everything has to be connected to the original series. If you watched Transformers with the expectation that it will be like the 80s cartoon, you will definitely be disappointed.

I'm glad they got Peter Cullen to voice Optimus Prime and there was a reason for that, but it didn't bother me that the other robots were not the original voices.

I hope Larry Kenney does Lion-O as well, but if he isn't the voice, does that already spell doom for the ThunderCats movie? Absolutely not.

For the hardcore 80s fans that cannot accept change, they will be disappointed no matter how close it is to the original because there will be changes no matter what...whether its appearance, voices, or story. I will guarantee you there will be changes to all three in the ThunderCats movie.

6. MannysCollectibles

MannysCollectibles Legacy Team Member

At the very least Larry Kenney should voice Lion-O. He may be able to voice other characters as well so essentially not all of the original cast is needed for the movie. Remember that Larry Kenney is known for his voice acting so he is able to replicate pretty close what the original voices for the rest of the Thundercats sounded like. He voiced Mumm-Ra in one of the DVD features so I think he would be able to duplicate almost every single character out there. Why pay 5 people to do voices when you have one person that could do just about every ThunderCats voice there is

7. catspat

I wouldn't expect a ThunderCats film to be exactly like the Eighties cartoon. Yes, the characters and their situation will be tweaked to help fulfill the needs of the movie, and doubtless some characters from the series will be dropped to meet those needs. That I can accept provided the storyline is good. But not having at least a few of the original surviving voice cast members back won't help to build the necessary bridge between the show and the film. And it won't do the characters justice, especially when it comes to Lion-O; Larry Kenney is the voice of Lion-O, plain and simple. Peter Cullen may have been the exception with respect to the "Transformers" film, but Tinsel Town always goes with their own, which is why I'm not particularly confident that Larry will get his old job back. If he does, I only hope the studio sees fit to have Lynne Lipton reprise Cheetara. If neither happens, I won't watch the movie no matter how exciting the action sequences are or how mind-blowing the visuals are; I'll stick with the DVDs and await a rebooted T-Cat series. If that makes me a stubborn, hardcore fan, so be it, but I can't go against how I feel on the matter, regardless of what others say.:bengali:

Larry is known for his voice acting, yes, but I wouldn't dream of having him do "almost every ThunderCat voice there is", and certainly not "every single character out there". Good lord, you want the man to ruin his vocal cords permanently? I wouldn't.:bengali:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  8. Lindacat

Lindacat Junior Member

Loved the Transformers movie, hope that the Thundercat movie can be just as great, though I think a Live action movie would be better. And to have Larry Kenney doing the voice of Lion-o would just be the icing on the cake.

9. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

I think its inevitable that a ThunderCats movie, or indeed a new ThunderCats cartoon series, will be different from the 1980s version. To be honest, it's part of the reason why I personally am kind-of easy as to whether they do another TCats series or not - because, unlike other franchises I've been into in my life like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or He-Man, which arguably had areas that could have been improved, I actually don't feel they can significantly top the 1980s TCats series, or at least the first season of same! :)

Take care... :)

10. catspat

Maybe they can, Chris, if they go about it the right way. For example, instead of having a 12-year-old Lion-O shut away in a suspension capsule for 10 years, they can have him as an young adult Lord of the ThunderCats whose already passed his anointment trials on Old Thundera instead of Third Earth. When Old Thundera goes Ka-BOOM! he can lead his "ragtag fleet" of Thunderian refugees to Third Earth or wherever they want to go. Now you can have somebody else -- say another child ThunderCat -- in a defective suspension capsule to emerge as an adult later on, but he/she would have to be a pretty major character in their own right, major enough to have a decisive influence on the destiny of Lion-O and his people. If they want a reboot of the series via a motion picture, I think that's the only way they can go about doing it. I wouldn't repeat the flawed suspension capsule, as that would only show laziness and a lack of imagination on the writer's part. :liono :cheetara::panthro: :tygra: :wilykat: :wilykit: :lynxo: :pumyraveryhappy: :bengali:

This is just one more suggestion among many I've made in the past x-number of postings I've put on this board, and I think I'm about out of them.:(

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  11. Tygra-wan

Tygra-wan Glass Walker

I just saw the Transformers movie a few days ago, and I was blown away with how great it was! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. It has been a while since a movie has made me want to go see it again immediately. I was quite impressed with how Mr. Bay was able to convey the Transformers in a live action movie... It gives me great hope for Thundercats, and I believe that WB will definitely greenlight the movie. And I also agree that it would be great to get as many of the original voices as possible. I know some things will be tweaked for the movie, but I think that if they stay true to the essence of Thundercats and still be able to do what Mr. Bay did, fans and non-fans alike would thoroughly enjoy the Thundercats movie.

12. I'd say it's hard to come up with a good new twist in the original story arc that wouldn't bother old fans but at the same time attract new fans. Bay pulled it off with by doing a live action of the Transformers but I don't think live action would work well with the Thundercats.

Also if they change the style too much a lot of old fans might not like it. Take for example the TMNTs, I personally didn't enjoy the new animation style that the turtles took especially with making all the human characters the tall slim anime style. It might also have something to do with the fact that I just don't like anime's tall/slender unreal look in general :D

13. FlameTygra

FlameTygra Crabman

I don't mind actual anime, but I hate it when you get anime-inspired "american" animation that tries desperately to look like anime.

ThunderCats is already anime - but not skinny little anime chicks.

Everything on Tcats was chunky. lol

In any case - unless Studio Ghibli or an actual Japanese company does it (and they don't do it 'american style') -- it's going to suck. That goes for a new cartoon series.

As for the movie - I see no problem w/ CGI - as long as they don't do the TMNT thing.

Storyline wise - they shouldn't change a thing in the storyline.

But isn't the story going to be before they left Thundera? =P So the suspension capsules wouldn't come into play anyhow.