AlexofThundera's Collection

Discussion in 'ThunderCats Collector's Showcase' started by AlexofThundera, Apr 24, 2008.

1. AlexofThundera

AlexofThundera Plun-Darr Legend

Hello all, welcome to my humble collection. :)

I was a huge Thundercats fan as a kid and some of my best memories are of my Dad taking me to the local Playworld in Miami to buy a Thundercats or two based on my progress reports from school. They never seemed to have the one I wanted, but that didn't matter because I wanted them all! My best Thundercats memory is when my Dad got me the Sword of Omens. I really wanted it but it seemed like he wouldn't get it for me even though I was keeping my grades up. The truth is we were pretty poor and he couldn't just out right get it for me but he finally did and one day said "whats that behind the table?" That was great.

Then when I was entering my teens my mom got on my case about "growing up" and getting rid of all my toys. After much debate and frustration, I finally gave in. I packed up all my Thundercats, Silverhawks, Voltron, etc... toys and my dad took them to the goodwill. In a very strange ironic way though, I am glad it happened because I have had a blast starting up my new collection. Hunting these figures down over the years has been a real pleasure.

I stated officially "collecting" back in 95-96, just before the cartoon re-aired on Toonami. Back in those days I would look through standard text classifieds on the net, strike a deal, and hope I wasn't just putting free money into someones pocket with no guarantee of getting the figures.

My greatest find is obviously the L/C Stinger with all 6 shimmering wings. I bought a lot of Thundercats from a guy off the net for $45.00. The add just said "Series 3 Thundercats for sale". I didn't even know what I was getting, but alas, in the lot, was the L/C Stinger, along with Jaga and others.

I am only a few figures/variations away from completing my L/C collection, and have now started my MOC collection. I tried to get a bit "artistic" with the pictures, hope you guys like them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I took these two for fun while I had my figures all out of the boxes. Lion-o, and "Ghost" form Jaga.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  2. Chromeagle

Chromeagle Barbarian

Cool pics and nice collection! I am amazed that your Stinger has all the wings. I looked for what seemed forever for a loose complete Stinger and finally found one mint on a open card. I like yours better though, mine has the plain clear wings.

3. Copperkid

Copperkid Vortex Explorer

awesome collection, i like the playful bengali the best! i want one of those ^^

4. Very cool collection man, and I loved your artistic pictures! It was funny to see somebody putting a creative side into showing their collection! My favorite was your Lion-O "cave" pic!

5. AlexofThundera

Thanks guys!

Yeah I rarely take all of the figures out of the boxes (takes forever to put back), but I thought since I had them all out, I'd have some fun with the pics. Amazing what some black screen mesh and a blue light can do. They would have come out better if I was actually good with a camera. :p The last two I obviously used a tool in paint shop pro to do the "shining" effect.

6. kylefromdirtnapp

kylefromdirtnapp Vortex Explorer

I love to see loose collections. The back story is also cool to hear!

7. AlexofThundera

New additions:

Series 3 GT Lion-o (Grand Toys):D I was amazed at how massive this card back seems. Even though some other MOC Tcats card backs are of a similar size, for some reason this one seems huge. Lion-o's "skin" is extremely orange, much more then any of my other Lion-o's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course, the centerpiece of any Thundercats collection...:p

[​IMG]

I'll get a pic of the 8 Back Jackalman soon. The bubble is in terrible shape but I am just happy to have an 8 Back in my collection.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  8. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

Thanks for the share man! You have some great stuff there.

9. Originalthundercatroar

Originalthundercatroar Vortex Explorer

That is a spectacular collection and a great backstory, Alex! I was drooling over the Lion-O and Snarf figure! I hope you add more soon!

Loved the Tuska Warrior centerpiece bit! :mischievous:

10. Chromeagle

Chromeagle Barbarian

I believe that is the first Grand Toys figure I have seen. Grand indeed!

11. AlexofThundera

The one thing about the GT Lion-o that I am not sure about, is that there is no red sticker on the bubble with "Lion-o, Good Thundercat", like you normally would find. The bubble is clean so I don't think the sticker was peeled off or fell off, as there would be some kind of a residue.

Maybe someone on here would know if the Grand Toys releases didn't come with the stickers showing the characters name.:?

12. Chromeagle

Chromeagle Barbarian

If I am not mistaken some of the figures had those stickers and some didnt, even the U.S. figures were like that.

13. Originalthundercatroar

Originalthundercatroar Vortex Explorer

The European (UK) Bengali didn't have a sticker on the front and my Rainbow Toys Lion-O certainly doesn't have one either. The UK Lion-O's are usually easy to spot because they're marked well but I've seen plenty of stickerless euro Bengalis sold as "American Carded" with the black and purple catalogue and "sunset" type catalogue.

Maybe a stickerless bubble was an allowance made for LJN toys that were licensed through other foreign toy manufacturers?

The line could have run out of the stickers on a given day maybe...or since the line was dying out the sticker making was pahsed out? I guess anything's possible.*shrugs*

Its interesting how many variants just do exist amongst the Thundercats toys.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  14. AlexofThundera

Yes, I believe that perhaps towards the end of the toy line, they started pushing through items without the front stickers. Either to save money, or to just get the last of the stock out there in a hurry.

While I do collect Silverhawks, and know about other toy lines, none (that I know of) seem to have so many variations as the Thundercats line. This just goes to show what a huge presence Thundercats was in the 80's.

15. AlexofThundera

Well, today is a pretty special day for me. I finally got the ONE item that means the most to me. It took me many years, but I finally got one. With the battery cap, and the eye still lights up.

Goo gonned the hell out of it and snapped some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

Its a beauty thats for sure! I'm glad you managed to track one of these down. So tell me...have you secretly done the Thundercats Battle cry when no one is around lol!

17. AlexofThundera

lol Yeah I have to admit I did swing it around a bit before packing it for storage. Watching the eye light up after so many years was very cool!

18. traeumer

traeumer Guest

@AlexofThundera
    That's a really great collection! :thumbsup:

Regarding to the pictures - I would pic up Slith if I would be allowed to choose one :p - In my opinion he's one of the best toy's of the whole THunderCats line :thumbsup:

19. catspat

catspat also known as...Leppardra

You have a wonderful collection, Alex. I especially like how you composed the blue-lighted Lion-O and Jaga photos and had the Eye of Thundera shine in each one. :D

It's interesting how the American-and European-made Bengalis look nearly identical, while the Playful version is slightly less bulky, has a somewhat different face, and is missing a little of its waistline. And the Playful figure is holding the silver axe, while the American one has its blue hammer. Did the European Bengali come without a hammer or was it lacking the hammer when you bought it? :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  20. AlexofThundera

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I enjoy sharing my collection as well as seeing everyone else's.

Catspat: As far as the Playful Bengali, what Playful did to save costs is they took a Tygra mold and painted it to look like Bengali, hence the differences. Also, since Playful did not create the figure from the original Bengali mold, they could not produce the blue weapon either, which is why they came with that silver axe/hammer.

Note: They also did the same thing for Lynxo. The playful version is a Jaga mold painted to look like Lynxo.

The difference between the Euro and American Bengali's is mainly the color tone. The American version is a darker blue, while the Euro is lighter, almost aqua. (At least all evidence points to this). I don't have the Hammer for the Euro version as I didn't purchase it complete.:)