Anointment trials

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by William Graves, Oct 22, 2016.

1. William Graves

William Graves Glass Walker

For a long time I've wondered why did they split up the anointment trials story arc. Personally I prefer them to be back-to-back. What is your opinion on this story?

2. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Yup. Back-to-back makes more sense and is more enjoyable to watch.

William Graves likes this.
  3. William Graves

I agree. I mean I'd understand if they introduced a character between the episodes and placed them in the following trial but as is there's just no reason for the split up of them.

4. Tygra_Rules

Also, the trial arc serves as a mid season, given that the first season has 65 eps, they might be set in the middle of it.

5. William Graves

I actually didnt think about it like that

6. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Definitely, watching them back-to-back is the right way to go. :) They do take place on consecutive days after all. I myself wonder why they were split up like that. I can understand if the networks airing had made a mistake as air date order often differ from production order, but these five episodes weren't even produced consecutively, which is rather strange. :confused: That is why their animation style and quality differs considerably.

7. William Graves

Odd thing is I can't find any background as to why this was done. Often I can do a search and get whatever I am looking for. But, with this, it seems like no one ever questioned it to where it can be answered. I mean it's nothing major. It never took anything away from the show but it is just that it has never really been explained officially that I can find.

Wilycub likes this.
  8. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I couldn't find anything about it even in the "Hear The Roar" book either, which pretty much contains everything a fan would want to know about the show. :) All the other 5 parters were made and aired consecutively, so why not the anointment trials? It is a mystery indeed.

9. Tygra_Rules

What makes the whole thing even stranger is that, in the first episode (the Trial of Strength), Lion-O already assumed he would have to be faster than Cheetara, cunnier than the kittens, and beat Tygra's "strange powers", so it seems all the episodes were already planned (even the "mind power" thing). Separating them so much gave the impression that the writers were thinkking what to do, but again, by how the first one was presented, it gives the impression it was all defined from the start.

10. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

There were a lot of things that indicate that it was planned from the start, ie. Tygra's remark that they'd be anointing a new Lord if all goes well "by the end of this week".

To add to this mystery, I happen to know that these episodes were originally aired back to back when they were first broadcast. Not only do I remember it happening that way, but I have the old videotape to confirm it lol. Since we we know that the first season was written well ahead of time (the voice actors have said that they did their recording in 1982), my guess is that Leonard Starr simply took his time in writing them, knowing that they could produce them in any order they wanted and just have them air all in a week as intended. The issue is that most if not all episode guides, etc. go by production order, and that is what they used when creating the official DVD sets. As such, we have them all out of order.

By the way, in my own head canon, I place the trials at the very end of the first season. Together they make a fitting season finale, and perfectly wrap up the arc of Lion-O gaining maturity (which was really not touched upon after season 1), and the crowd scene at the end makes it difficult to place the episodes much earlier (I know not impossible to place earlier, but still...).

Though this is pure conjecture on my part, but I always suspected that if the series had not been renewed for more episodes, the final scene of Mumm-Ra being resurrected would have been omitted, thus keeping Mumm-Ra defeated and allowing the episode to serve as a fitting series finale.

11. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

I still want to know WHY the thundercats involved Mumm-Ra in these trials. I mean if they had this on Thundera and there were no evil mummies on thundera WHO did the Lord of the Thundercats fight in a trial of evil there?!
    and YES I am still trying to make sense of this.

Let's not forget about the fact the animation for the 5 parter got worse as each episode went. Why was this? Were the animators drunk?

12. William Graves

I have thought that myself. Maybe on thundera they had to deal with some sort of mutant boss of plundarr since they did attack the convoy in exodus. Let's not forget sliyth was apparently a cook for ratar o. If I got my memory right from the first ratar o introduction episode... I might be wrong.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

13. mumm_ra_n_rana

I'm just glad it didn't permanently kill him since he's the most interesting villain in the series.
    and I don't really know. Maybe that was it and maybe the trial of evil was something completely different on Thundera...

14. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

According to "Hear the Roar", the dialogue for the first 2 episodes was recorded June 19th 1984.

adssse and William Graves like this.
  15. William Graves

Mumm-ra is said to be the most or one the most scariest cartoon villains of the 80s if not of all time

16. mumm_ra_n_rana

well his theme music is pretty fear inducing on it's own. XD

17. ButterflyBoy

Really? I stand corrected. I could've sworn the 1982-thing was something I'd heard repeated by various voice actors but I trust the Hear The Roar book more than just my lazy memory.

That is so impressive that PAC was able to turn out such high quality animation in such a relatively short period of time.

In any case, my statement that the trials were aired back to back is still correct, though I realize I may now look like I am talking out of my butt :-p

18. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

I thought you were right. I thought that I'd heard it was 83 that they were recorded. Possibly in the Larry Kenney interview from this sight.

19. ButterflyBoy

Oh good, I'm glad I have not completely lost my mind. I have a feeling I read it as coming from Larry also, because, especially when it comes to Thundercats info, my brain doesn't categorize it as being true unless I feel like its from a credible source. I've been apart of the online fandom for years (and a fan period for even longer) and there has been a great deal of erroneous information out there passed off as fact as I am sure we can all attest to.

20. thezaxfactor

thezaxfactor Staff Writer and Moderator TC.org Staff

Yeah, Larry Kenney has mentioned 1983 now and again, but I think there's enough evidence to the contrary to chalk it up to fallible human memory after thirty years. 1984 makes more sense.

As for the Anointment Trials, you can tell from their variations in animation style that they definitely weren't produced consecutively. If local affiliates chose to air them consecutively, that was entirely their decision. I don't think there's much evidence that episodes were aired in all markets in the same order on the same days during their first runs anyway, at least not in the first season (though perhaps in 2–4). They were probably delivered in batches and aired when the affiliates felt like airing them, usually with some respect for production order but sometimes not.