Anointment trials

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by William Graves, Oct 22, 2016.

1. William Graves

William Graves Glass Walker

From my knowledge and research production and episode numbers were the same. That said my research may be wrong. Now when cartoon network reaired them later, they put them in a different recommended order that put the trials together as well as rearranging other episodes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

All I can say is that I have the videotaped episodes from 1985 that show them airing back to back.

William Graves likes this.
  3. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

Time wise they weren't. When they actually aired there were episodes between them which is a little strange. I'm not even sure why they did that.

4. William Graves

I remember watching on an old satellite dish when first on. I mean one that was huge and the box in home was one that the channels were like a letter and numbers example C-5. everytime u would change the letter the dish would move to corresponding satellite. Since this show was originally done syndicated maybe some of the local stations that picked it up played reruns early like after the final trial they'd play all back to back before the season was over.

This is just my opinion.

5. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I would have to do some research again but it was my understanding Wolf came up with the concept in 1981 with his daughter. Initial development began in 1983 with the first air date in 1985.

6. William Graves

Found this..

http://thundercats.wikia.com/wiki/ThunderCats_(original_series)
    In early 1984, Tobin “Ted” Wolf pitched his idea about humanoid cat people to his friend Stan Weston, who was also President of Leisure Concepts Inc. (LCI). Weston took the pitch with him to a meeting he had with Arthur Rankin Jr. and Jules Bass and their team at the Rankin/Bass offices to discuss new project ideas. The producers liked the idea enough to decide to develop it into a full-scale animated television series.

7. ButterflyBoy

I was only, like, 4 years old when they actually aired so I can't swear that this was their first airing or reruns, honestly. I just know that at some point when the show was airing in '85 they aired the trials back to back. I can't imagine that a local affiliate would be familiar enough with the show or care enough to actually sift through the episodes to rearrange the airings.

I always imagined it was a planned thing from the showrunners. There is no real debating that the episodes were produced out of order. I don't really know if there is any way to get definitive evidence of how they were aired originally. I've never seen an air date schedule for Thundercats that cited a credible source or could withstand scrutiny. Has anyone here been around long enough to remember the one that showed each episode airing daily without a break, all the way from "Exodus" to "Book of Omens"? People actually put stock in that for awhile, even though it was clearly inaccurate. I recall pointing out on a message board somewhere that just looking at the copyright dates at the end of the closing credits disproved that particular air date schedule. I dunno if that is what did it, but it finally went away.

8. ButterflyBoy

I dunno where this information originated from, and I have no way to disprove it, but I am very skeptical. Going from a pitch to a full fledged (and very well animated) TV show with numerous tie-ins including a full toyline does not seem realistic. Maybe, maybe it would be possible today, but we have had such advancements with animating with computers as well as improved manufacturing capabilities. It just seems a little fast. Then again, its not like I ever worked in the industry.

9. William Graves

I cant prove one way or another. Just thought I'd share my findings as so much can be falsified plus that site does have a link back to us at bottom which I find entertaining.

10. ButterflyBoy

I know bud, I didn't think you were trying to say it was gospel.

11. William Graves

Good. It's hard to say how people may take what I say at times lol.

12. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

There's this:

"In 1981, Tobin Wolf sketched a cast of muscular, superpowered characters who combined both "superhuman" and "superanimal" powers. Telepictures Corp. of New York agreed to develop the series, and the program went into production in 1984. The series went on air the following year and played through 1987. In the process, the characters entered the consciousness of a generation."

https://web.archive.org/web/2006120...uadvertiser.com/2000/Jul/04/islandlife14.html

13. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.
  14. ButterflyBoy

This is already debunked since it aired until 1989.

15. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

True but it doesn't necessarily discredit the rest.

16. ButterflyBoy

That's true. Man, it is so hard to find definitive information on Thundercats' production.

17. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

We can all agree on that!

LiamABC and William Graves like this.
  18. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

Well I'm just glad we have a show about cat people. Cat's need more love in media. Most of the time it's ALWAYS about dogs.

19. thezaxfactor

thezaxfactor Staff Writer and Moderator TC.org Staff

Hahaha, what Internet are you using?!

LiamABC likes this.
  20. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Here's the timeline from Hear the Roar, probably the most reliable source:

[​IMG]