Any Comic Book Readers Here?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by Rath Montchar, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Rath Montchar

Rath Montchar Moleman

Just checking before I started posting questions about them here.

Before anyone asks, I read Green Lantern; JSA; Red Sonja and Supergirl.

2. voice_guy

voice_guy Berbill

Up to this year I had been a Marvel / Image comics person.
    So i haven't read too many DC Titles. I have read some of the Batman titles back in the late eighties through mid nineties.
    braking of the Bat being one of the best arcs.

For the most part I have been a Marvel person, I used
    to like X-men back when it was good. (Aside from Whedon/ cassidy's run, they haven't been good since the late nineties.)
    Though the Onslaught stuff was good, as was age of Apocalypse.

I once read Spawn monthly, but no longer.

3. salvatore

salvatore Junior Member

I've been reading comics for close to 15 years now. The newer stuff is nowhere near as enjoyable as the stuff from the 60s,70s, and 80s. I have an almost complete run of the original justice league of america.

Sal

4. Rath Montchar

Rath Montchar Moleman

Sal, it's funny you mentioned that. Lately, my comic book purchases have gravitated, mostly, to old stuff. I've been reading comics for 22 years.

In fact, I just got interested in Marvel's old Tomb of Dracula series. I just put The Essential Tomb of Dracula Volumes 1, 2, 3 on my Christmas list.

Not too long ago, I decided to replace a lot of the CRAP quality books that I had. They were crap because I DIDN'T take care of them like I should've. They were titles like Saga of the Swamp Thing; Batman & the Outsiders; and PRE-CRISIS Green Lantern #175 through #200. I eventually added the ORIGINAL Swamp Thing series and The Outisders(NOT this bunch that's out there today).

Here's a funny note when it comes to the Swamp Thing. I wasn't too happy when artists Stephen Bissette & John Totleben took over. Their artwork didn't sit very well with me. I dropped the book completely when Alan Moore came along because it was just too sick for me.

If you get a chance, head over to www.twomorrows.com. They publish a lot of good fandom stuff. They published biographies of some comic book artists. They've done one of my favorite, Dick Giordano; Jim Aparo and Gene Colan.

Usually, I don't care much for 60s comics. However, I find that 60s Spider-Man stories are still good, to me, even today.

[/i]

5. salvatore

salvatore Junior Member

It's true that the majority of comics from the 60s' were extremely campy. However, the artists rendition of characters from that decade are the way that i still see characters today. DC was far more "kid-friendly", while Marvel seemed to be going for the teenage audience. I'm only 28 myself so i never lived through the 60s' and early 70s', but that style of artwork and storytelling got my attention early on in my childhood. Anything from Iron Man to Batman, to j.l.a. and eventually the likes of g.i.joe. I wish todays books would have an artist and writer stay together for more than 4 or 5 issues.

Sal

6. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

I don't read many contemporary comic books, but I'm absolutely addicted to Marvel comic books from approximately 1977 - 1994, though I also really enjoy Marvel issues from earlier. :)

I've never been much of a DC man, but I love Batman comics from the early 1980s backwards - just always loved the character! :)

Take care... :)

7. voice_guy

voice_guy Berbill

My favs will always be Batman, Spider-Man, and the X-Men..
    from time to time, there may be a Superman run that sneaks in.
    G.I. joe is also another title I enjoy reading, though I like
    the classic Hamma versions over the current run.

8. tcatartist

tcatartist Crabman

I'm nothing but Alex Ross-illustrated only minis. The reason is really only the lack of success of finding a well-put together, thought out series any other time.

9. Rath Montchar

Rath Montchar Moleman

I love Alex Ross' artwork. I bought the four single issues of Kingdom Come. I even bought the novelization strictly because of the artwork in it. I also bought The Deluxe Kingdom Come Limited Edition Book Set. It had two books in it. The first was the story by Mark Waid and Alex Ross. This included pages NOT in the original four issues. The thing I really wanted was Kingdom Come Revelations. This thing contains over 100 character sketches by Alex Ross. They were beautiful work. It also promo works, etc. I bought it brand new for $89.95 and it was worth every cent.

I just recently picked up The World's Greatest Superheroes, which contain the tabloid sized books featuring Superman; Batman; Wonder Woman; the JLA and Shazam! The books were written by Paul Dini and illustrated by Alex Ross. It was $49.99, but worth every cent. I also have Ross' book Mythology and special published by Wizard Magazine.

What surprised me about Alex Ross is that he is a big fan of Shazam! I, myself, am a Shazam fan. I have the entire Power of Shazam series plus a few other items.

10. The Overlord

The Overlord New Member

My favourite character is Superman - I love most Supes stories from his origin in 1938 to around 1999, especially the Golden Age stuff.

Spider-Man - any comics from his debut to the mid-90s are great.

The Batman, anything besides the Silver Age :lol:

Also Green Lantern, Thor, Fantastic Four and Captain America.

11. OverlordMummra

OverlordMummra New Member

I love to read comics but I have been out of reach of a comic book store for a while so I haven't gotten to read much lately. The one thing I am reading right now is Infinite Crisis which I think is good. I used to be a big Marvel person especially X-Men but Grant Morrrison turned me off of them.

12. MannysCollectibles

MannysCollectibles Legacy Team Member

Im not a comic book reader but I totally dig Heavy Metal

13. StratosMacca

StratosMacca Guest

I've been reading comics for about 15 years now. The books I currently read are:

Green Lantern Corps: Recharge (DC)
    Infinite Crisis (DC)
    Robin (DC)
    Nightwing (DC)
    Superman (DC)
    Batman (DC)
    Fables (Vertigo/DC)
    Y: The Last Man (Vertigo/DC)
    The Walking Dead (Image)
    Invincible (Image)
    Exiles (Marvel)
    Powers (Icon/Marvel)

I'm sure there are a few others, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

--Leanne

14. Zodac101

Zodac101 New Member

I mainly read

Superman
    Batman
    Most Elsworlds books
    GiJoe

and there are some others that I just pick up if I like the artwork, but can't think of any right now.

15. Mitts

Mitts Active Member

I used to collect the 'Battle of the Planets' comics they had out a few years back - those were soem great reading, but I understand they cancelled them.

A great shame, too - beautifully illustrated and pretty damned close to the original anime (well, excpet for the names - I believe they stuck with their english names for the comics, right?. :)

16. Cheeta

Cheeta New Member

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - I have almost every issue of every volume including the first print original #1 issue (only 3,000 copies were printed, not sure how many still exist).

I used to work at a comic store but I got let go after 2 years. I was getting tons of comics while I worked there, but now I've narrowed it down to:
    The Goon (Darkhorse)
    Invincible (Image)
    Wolverine (Marvel)
    TMNT (Mirage)
    Tales of the TMNT (Mirage)
    Usagi Yojimbo (Darkhorse)
    and anything with Ultimate in front of it published by Marvel.

Sometimes I'll read the Hulk or Iron man, but I much prefer the 70's issues of those titles. I bought an eBay auction of over 100 Hulk comics from the 70's,80's and 90's including Hulk #181 (first wolverine) for $300. That was an awesome score. I was born in the 80's, so I dunno why I prefer 70's comics.

I was getting the Thundercats comics, but man they were awful. They completely ruined a lot of the characters and they just didn't have the Tcats charm. I'm actually glad they got canned, I wouldn't want some kid who never heard of thundercats get put off by them because of some terrible comics. I remember my old boss told me to sell Thundercats comics for $1 because we over ordered them and they ended up sucking.

17. wacky martin

wacky martin TCL Member

I've never really been a big comic fan, but these days I buy G.I Joe comics :)