Any Episode You Wished The Bad Guys Would Have Won In?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by mumm_ra_n_rana, Jul 8, 2016.

1. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

what that was doug's intent? XD Yeah Mumm-Ra lives does have some dull moments but me being a mumm-ra whore the moments with mumm-ra are the best parts and it was what caused me to start wanting him to actually win more.
    Other complaints I have is that the five parter actually started the whole "let's make the mutants a joke" trope. and the lunatak's came off as these annoying and rather snobby group of jerks. The only ones with any sort of decent designs are alluro and Chilla.
    My guess is with mumm-ra lives is that I think since there's like a year between Ho! and season 2 people probably were wondering if he'd actually been obliterated by thundera's star and they wanted to let everyone know that yes Mumm-Ra is still around. you know with all that as long as evil exists mumm-ra lives kind of thing. He IS immortal after all and the thundercats need to just get over it and stop trying to destroy him. XD Who knows? Mumm-Ra is the most popular character so kids probably would have been disappointed if it took forever to bring him back.

2. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

I like that last idea :thumbsup

Wilycub likes this.
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Chillla was okay, but as a fearsome group of new villains I thought the Lunatacks were very boring and awfully designed. Even most of their voices were irritating.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  4. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Agreed about the Lunataks. Luna herself was irritating and ineffectual, Tug-Mug and Red-Eye could have been decent one-time villains, but not regular baddies. Chilla, the ice-cold femme fatale, could have been a much more interesting character if she'd been there during season 1 (actually, correcting for the obvious, she sort of looks a bit like a girl I knew at university). Alluro was the only one who really had the potential to be a properly serious regular threat, but I don't think the voice really worked for the character. As for the look of all of them, yes, shoot the animators! What a stupid look! (Well, OK, maybe Chilla looked OK ;) )

About Doug Preis' James Mason voice for Alluro - I'm puzzled why they needed to add him to the cast. Fair enough in the case of Gerianne Raphael, who was Pumyra AND Chilla, and later on Jagara too, she had enough characters for it to be worthwhile. But as Preis only did Alluro as a main character, was it worth it? The only other contribution he made to the voice cast was as Crownan - and curiously, that voice too has a familiar ring to it. Groucho Marx anyone?

Wilycub and Mark M like this.
  5. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Doug Preis also voiced Charr for a couple of episodes of ThunderCats' final season.

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

If anything Thundercats needed more voice actors as with some characters it was very clear to hear who was voicing them as there was not great difference to them. It seems besides being tight on the budget for hiring good writers they were the same with casting voice actors. Imagine if Thundercats had Allan Oppenheimer, Peter Cullen, Jim Cummings, B.J. Ward, Pat Fraley, Susan Blu etc.
    Maybe different voices would have made the Lunatacks less annoying. Red Eye and Luna especially.

7. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Preis also did Lynx-O and the Guardian of the Book of Omens. :) But I see your point. I mean Bob McFadden and Earl Hammond could have easily split those four characters between them.

Daremonger likes this.
  8. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Bob McFadden was actually the Guardian of the Book of Omens.

9. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Daremonger likes this.
  10. mumm_ra_n_rana

poor earl hammond, having to voice so many people. Aside from Jaga most of the other voices he did sounded waaaaaaaaaay too much like mumm-ra, especially when said character laughed.
    I also feel bad for lindsay(?)Lipton having to voice ALL the female characters until Gerianne Raphael came along who voiced a few characters... even though soundera and Jagara sounded about the same.

11. LiamABC

Lynx-O is Bob McFadden. Listen to him.

Daremonger likes this.
  12. LiamABC

Good point. The voice cast were a little small, and varied in ability to sound different to their regular voices. I'll exclude Lynne Lipton from my dissection of them because in season 1 at least she was the only woman so it's not fair on her to be too critical.

Earl Hyman and Peter Newman were always easy to spot. I don't think there's one guest voice either of them did that isn't obvious as being them.

Earl Hammond is a bit less obvious. Yes, a lot of his voices sound the same, but not all. Vultureman is almost unrecognisable as Jaga and Mumm-Ra. You have to watch a LOT of episodes before you can hear a connection.

Larry Kenney and Bob McFadden on the other hand - wow. They could have handled all the male voices in the whole series between them and you'd have believed it was a much larger (male) cast. Even within the scope of their regular characters, it's hard to believe Lion-O and Jackalman were voiced by the same guy, likewise Slithe and Snarf. Wow. OK, so a few of McFadden's guest voices are basically reworkings of Slithe (especially Mongor), but still, he had a terrific range.

Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Wow I didn't even know Larry voiced Jackalman. Lynne did a good job but did she have to make Luna so annoying LOL.

14. thezaxfactor

thezaxfactor Staff Writer and Moderator TC.org Staff

Nope. They're definitely both McFadden. Give the Guardian a different accent, stick some cottonballs in his mouth, and he's Grune. As for Lynx-O, listen to Slithe say "embedded in the hilt of the Sword of Omens" in Exodus—it's Lynx-O with a sore throat.
    I think I've said this before and then not put in the subsequent effort, but a supercut of all the voices he (or any other actor) did, edited in order such that you could hear how one voice differs slightly from the next—that would be amazing to hear.

But yeah, many of McFadden's guest villains are just Slithe variations. Mongor? Slithe as a goat. The Living Ooze and the Mad Bubbler? Slithe underwater. Burnout? Slithe as a car. Two Time? Slithe as a computer.

Daremonger and LiamABC like this.
  15. mumm_ra_n_rana

I KNEW THE MAD BUBBLER SOUNDED LIKE SLITHE! :slithe ROFL
    I was rather surprised jackalman and lion-O had the same voice actor. I thought Jackalman was voiced by Paul Frees! (you know the guy who does a lot of rankin/bass voice acting?) Jackalman sounds like Paul when he does his jack frost voice.
    Yeah i feel bad that lynne made luna have such an annoying voice but if you hear her say certain words she sounds kind of like a hysterical WhileyKit.
    Earle Hyman had the biggest problem due to his baritone black man voice, You can easily tell he's doing other voices because his range isn't very good. Red Eye sounds like the ancient spirits of evil without the voice "ghost like" wailing. At least Panthro sounds a bit different except he sounds just like the spirits and red eye when he's ticked off.
    But my favorite voice in the series is Mumm-Ra's of course. Earl Hammond sounded like he had so much fun making him a huge ham.

Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  16. LiamABC

Watch the documentary on the last disc of season 1 (disc 12 in the bigger box sets, or disc 6 of the blue set depending on which you have). Larry Kenney switches between Lion-O and Jackalman in a continuous improvised scene. That man is truly a god among voice actors. The only other name I would mention in the same breath as him is Jim Cummings.

Mark M likes this.
  17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Frank Welker is also very good.

18. LiamABC

Very good, yes, but not quite in the same class. The shows I've seen with him in, I've always been able to recognise him.

19. mumm_ra_n_rana

Even when he only voices the animals?!

20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I will tell you an animals voice I recognised instantly, Gigi from Kiki's Delivery Service. ;)
    He has a pretty good range. Uni (D&D), Krulos (Dino Riders), Ray Stantz (Ghostbusters), Wild Bill (G.I. Joe) and of course Megatron (Transformers).