Any Episode You Wished The Bad Guys Would Have Won In?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by mumm_ra_n_rana, Jul 8, 2016.

1. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

You forgot Dr. Claw and Soundwave.

Mark M likes this.
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I forgot about Soundwave. His Dr Klaw is basically the same as Krulos and Darkseid. ;)

Mark Hamill could have gave a Thundercats character a really menacing voice.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  3. mumm_ra_n_rana

Okay, I need to say something about this before I forget again. I HATE it when Lion-O is fighting against Mumm-Ra and as soon as he knows he's losing he summons all the other cats. I now it's supposed to be all that "teamwork and cooperation" message but it just gives the impression that Lion-O is not strong enough to defeat a villain by himself. So when he's losing he has to summon his mind controlled possess to come and save his butt.
    Hey, Lion-O, Mumm-Ra might not have friends but he also doesn't pull sneaky moves either. He uses what he was on hand and nothing else. We KNOW you can beat Mumm-Ra by yourself so try doing it one in awhile, or do you know you can't because the one time you DID beat him by yourself you just came back?
    Then they all stand around laughing and patting themselves on the back and acting like they accomplished something big. Yeah, good going. You ganged up on some dude because your cowardly lion of a leader was too wimpy to defeat him himself.

4. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

I think that was more because the writers had to work the catchphrase into pretty much every single episode (honourable exception, the Anointment Trials).

Mark M and Wilycub like this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

One thing I really disliked about Thundercats was how all the episodes centred around Lion-O and him and the sword saving the day the vast majority of the time. Even He-Man had episodes in which others were given there moment to shine and save the day. In He-Man's case I can understand it as he was the main character but Thundercats were supposed to be a team. In TMNT all the Turtles are equal and all have episodes where they are the main hero but in most of them it is equal with all four saving the day etc.

Tygra_Rules and mumm_ra_n_rana like this.
  6. LiamABC

Same with Defenders Of The Earth, all the characters had their moments. No one character was the be-all and end-all of the show. And indeed no one character had a speaking part in every single episode.

Mark M likes this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Same with Visionaries.

8. LiamABC

Yes and no. The first part is certainly true of Visionaries, but not the second. Leoric had a speaking part in every episode, and I think Lexor and Cindarr qualify there too. Certainly Lexor, I think Cindarr's only line of dialogue in "Lion Hunt" is a laugh - but that's probably because Peter Cullen was too busy playing Gleering.

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I meant they were always a team as opposed to one character always being the centre of attention.

mumm_ra_n_rana likes this.
  10. LiamABC

That's what I meant when I said the first part was true. Each character has their chance to shine, and no one character is the central point of the whole show, not even Leoric.

Mark M likes this.
  11. mumm_ra_n_rana

I think the same can be said for transformers and gi joe. the 80s versions anyway. Though I think optimus prime always had a speaking role even if he wasn't the hero of the episode or even in it for more than a few seconds.
    I kind of wish there had been an episode without lion-o... though i think return to thundera part 4 might qualify... I cannot be sure because I skipped most of that episode because it was boring.

Mark M and LiamABC like this.
  12. LiamABC

It doesn't qualify. Lion-O is in it.

As for Optimus Prime, I think he's absent from the first season after the movie, as he was killed off there, and isn't returned to the show by the magic of kids' TV until the end of the penultimate season.

mumm_ra_n_rana likes this.
  13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

No. He does return at the end of season 3 but he makes an appearance half way through the season for one episode, One of the best season three episodes. :D

14. mumm_ra_n_rana

isn't that episode one of the few season 3 episodes that's actually animated well?

15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

If anything the unpredictability of the varying cast was one of the biggest problems of G.I. Joe.
    In Transformers I believe Prime is in all of season 1 and 2. I think there are some season 3 episodes where Rodimus doesn't make an appearance at all.

16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think it is. It's a case though of good stories and characters making up for it.

17. LiamABC

Like I said, I'm no expert on the show, but my basic point is still valid.

18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

You will be getting better acquainted with Transformers soon. ;)

19. mumm_ra_n_rana

lol i rewatched the last episode of the return to thundera arc. out of all the characters to appear in the episode mumm-ra was the only one who was drawn well! I guess the animators didn't feel the need to animate anybody else well. LOL

20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think I only seen those episodes once.