Any Episode You Wished The Bad Guys Would Have Won In?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by mumm_ra_n_rana, Jul 8, 2016.

1. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

the episode about mumm-rana comes close.

Wilycub likes this.
  2. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

I remember the Trials being broadcast a couple of times when I was a kid, and at least one of those times was on mondays. Mondays got a lot of action cartoons in that spot on CBBC, I remember Defenders Of The Earth and BraveStarr having that slot as well.

Mark M likes this.
  3. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Well I didn't want the good guys to be portrayed as evil, but maybe just Mumm-Ra sowing the seeds of discord among them. He did succeed in doing that in "Catfight" and got the TCats to squabble among themselves. By revealing that Jaga was responsible for Thundera's destruction, maybe Mumm-Ra could have stunned the TCats long enough to take them down. Of course later on the whole thing would be cleared out and the TCats would (obviously) forgive Jaga and not blame him, because they are the good guys after all! ;)

Agreed! Jagara was REALLY boring! And I particularly dislike the episodes where the "Mighty" Gyroscope is the center of attraction. They were just so repetitious. The Gyroscope is not working - earthquake - calm returns. Then rinse and repeat this sequence! :confused

So sorry! The five parters completely slipped my mind. And yes, they definitely deserved to be split over 5 parts. My least favorite was the "Mind Power" one. They should have gone with some other plot for that. Maybe used Tygra's invisibility and Lion-O would have to use his brains to be able to win against Tygra. Something like "Predator" the movie. :)

I think the first Anointment Trial, "Trial of Strength" was animated quite well. But the other ones, not so much, especially the last one. That was quite poorly animated.

True! "Mumm-Rana" was very poorly animated. The drawings were terrible. :00 But perhaps the funniest thing about that episode was that the "exile" that Mumm-Rana banishes Lion-O, Tygra and Snarf to, the place where they are supposed to "wander aimlessly for all eternity", is actually just next to Castle Plun-Darr! :D Talk about lazy writing!

mumm_ra_n_rana and Mark M like this.
  4. LiamABC

Absolutely. Even as a kid I thought that was iffy, exiled to the middle of nowhere but it turned out to be near to the Mutants' home. Maybe they should have made it a two-parter and exiled them somewhere really awkward, and had a big focus on finding a way home.

Tygra_Rules, Mark M and Wilycub like this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

LOL I will have to re-watch that episode. That is another one I have just seen once since getting the DVDs.

6. mumm_ra_n_rana

Maybe mumm-rana, along with the writers, were just lazy. Too bad she didn't exile them to the very middle of the desert of sinking sands. I know mumm-ra's pyramid is close to there but it would have been much more exciting if they had had to make their way out of the desert... while avoiding quicksand. That reminds me. why is it called the desert of sinking sands when the sand just acts like normal sand?

Yeah the animation is so disturbing to look at. Mumm-Ra looks all swollen like he's having a allergic reaction to something and everyone else... they have mushed up heads and bodies. Whoever animated that episode... they shouldn't be allowed to animate anything else EVER.

Wilycub likes this.
  7. LiamABC

In "Dimension Doom", Mumm-Ra throws the sword into the Desert Of Sinking Sands, and it does sink.

Wilycub likes this.
  8. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Great suggestion! Apart from the Desert of the Sinking Sands, there were also a ton of other dangerous places that Mumm-Rana could have exiled them to like Acid Lake, Cliffs of Vertigo, Forest of Giant Insects, etc. Anything to spice up the otherwise boring plot. :(

LOL! :biggrin That was hilarious.. and totally true!

I was just going to post that but you beat me to it. ;)

mumm_ra_n_rana likes this.
  9. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Yes, that "exile" always bothered me. Especially when there was now a Feliner that could easily pick the exiled ones up.

mumm_ra_n_rana and LiamABC like this.
  10. mumm_ra_n_rana

somebody was asleep at the wheel when making this episode.

11. LiamABC

Absolutely. The minute they sense something wrong, the other cats go back to investigate.

Actually, I must admit, this is one of the episodes I have stronger memories of from my youth, as it's one that I did record on tape at one point.

12. mumm_ra_n_rana

To be perfectly honest the very first time I ever saw anything thundercats related was in this 80s villians music video a few years ago. Most of the clips involved Mumm-Ra and back then from JUST seeing clips of him, changing form that is which back then I thought he only did on rare occasions once he had is hands on some sort of crystal or something (don't ask I am strange) I thought the series was this super dark completely egyptian themed tv series. Yes this is what I thought. I thought the show took place in egypt and the cats were like.. well XD servants of Bastet that fought evil and Mumm-Ra got his powers from the not so nice egyptian gods.
    That was the impression I got from the clips I saw in the video and I remember thinking "HOW in the WORLD did this show get past the censors? Is that REALLY a kid's show?!" Yeah... I thought Mumm-Ra was way too disturbing for children and the show surrounding him was even worse. :mummra

I wonder how well the show would have fared if my first impression of it had been ACCURATE?!

Mark M and LiamABC like this.
  13. mumm_ra_n_rana

On thta note....
    [​IMG]
    Can we all take a moment to appreciate the fact Mumm-ra saved the universe years of headaches by outright MURDERING this guy instead of letting Lion-O do it his way? :mummra Now, if you'll excuse me...

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Mumm-Ra the anti-hero...interesting. And this pre-dates the current IDW Transformers comics. I wonder if this inspired them to change Megatron to an Autobot. As I understand Megatron is now either Autobot leader or one of the top Autobot commanders.

15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

One thing that bothered me about Thundercats was the Eye of Thundera. The concept of the eye altering Lion-O to danger is good but I don't think it was used that good in the cartoon.

16. mumm_ra_n_rana

That's retarded.
    The page i posted is from the dogs of war comic. You know, the one you told me about. Yeah I found a website where I could download the TC omics. I however did NOT download "the return" because I hate rape. To be honest though I like mumm-ra in dogs of war. XD

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

No you should still read 'The Return' just to have a better opinion on it.

18. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Would you PM where you downloaded it from?

19. mumm_ra_n_rana

Yes, I will do this for you.

adssse likes this.
  20. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Watched "Chain of Loyalty" again, and there are even more things that not make sense and makes the whole episode one of the worst in the whole series.
    1. Lion-O is a TC too,isn't he? Then why didn't he turn "evil" when Mumm-Ra broke the Chain?
    2. He kept apologizing to the TCs and telling them he didn't want to do this (read: fight them and tying them up), so why didn't he use the SoO and fixed the Chain right from the start? By that episode he should have already known the SoO could do that (I mean, even us know that thing could do almost everything by that ep LOL). I think Lion-O has a little bondage-enjoying sadist in him LOL

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    LiamABC likes this.