Any Episode You Wished The Bad Guys Would Have Won In?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by mumm_ra_n_rana, Jul 8, 2016.

1. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Not a fan of Mumrana myself.

2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I liked Captain Cracker as well.

3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Sad thing is though that Mandora and all the other female characters aside from maybe Chilla really had no toy appeal in terms of design or action feature gimmick they could incorporate.

4. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

This is another thread I stopped getting notifications for! This keeps happening!

OK, so we're onto characters that should or shouldn't have had their own action figures . . . right:

First off - the Lunataks. Love them or hate them (and I really hate them), they were major villains during seasons 2-3, and deserved their own action figures.
    To a lesser extent, yes, the Berserkers - Topspinner especially was obviously designed with a toy in mind.

My biggest beef is the lack of a Turmagar figure. They did a generic Tuska warrior, why not the one named member of the species as well or instead?

Also, the neglected female characters. Yes, Mandora especially deserved her own figure. She appeared more than enough times. If she'd been a man, then she (he?!?) would have. Ditto Willa and Nayda. If anything, they were more regular in their presence, being on Third Earth rather than gallivanting off across the galaxy on the electrocharger. Which brings me back to Mandora - Quickpick would have been a good one to have a figure of too.

Mumm-Rana and Jagara both deserved figures too. Of course, Mumm-Rana's case is weakened by the fact that she only appeared in 2 episodes, and that Wiz-Ra was also set up as an ancient counterpart to Mumm-Ra. But there's no excuse not to do Jagara. Even if the character was a bit dodgy in concept and infrequent in appearance, she played a vital role as guardian of New Thundera.

As for one-time villains, yes, Ta-She would have been good to make as a figure, certainly. Not so sure about Queen Tartara. Character was completely one-dimensional. On the male side, Char-Nin might have been worth doing. Shadowmaster and Zaxx too, and of course Pyron! Even if he should never have been created (bloody Overgard again!), he certainly had toy potential.

As for the one-time villains that did get their own figures, I find Mongor hard to justify. Safari Joe was sort of a one-time villain, although he did have a sort of reprisal in "Fond Memories" - AND he had his own catchphrase! If you ever saw his episode as a kid, you never forgot "Safari Joe does it again!"

Captain Cracker . . . well, he did appear about three times in total, so his figure is more justifiable. Even if I thought the character was a bit cliched, he has a more valid claim to a figure than some.

5. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

Do you SERIOUSLY belief mandora didn't have a gimmick? She was an intergalactic police officer. She had her transport which would have been a cool toy and her boomerang and soap gun. Dude, some of the gi joes who had toys at the time were much more boring than she ever could be and as Liam said if she'd been a dude they would have given her a toy. The only thing preventing her from being toyed was her gender which is utterly silly.

adssse and LiamABC like this.
  6. LiamABC

Plus, there was something cool about her helmet, with its medieval plume. I always wondered what she looked like under the helmet (even her ID photo that she shows to Lion-O has her wearing it!). I've got this idea that there's some massive scar underneath an otherwise jaw-droppingly beautiful countenance, but I could just as easily be wrong.

7. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I always wondered as well but I believe the helmet and not knowing really adds to the mystique of her character. As was stated, she could have made a very nice figure.

As wonky as Overgard could be, he did give us some very nice characters.

8. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

That's true.

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I said she didn't have a gimmick they could incorporate into a toy. All they could do would be to give her a battle-matic feature like all the others. That and the fact she was female was the reason they didn't give her a figure. Sometimes even having a gimmick isn't enough. Look at Arcee from Transformers and the female Visionaries characters. hey had all the same features as their male counterparts but Hasbro didn't make them as they did not believe they would sell well which was stupid.

mr freeze likes this.
  10. mr freeze

mr freeze Laser Beast

it's a real shame virulina and galadria never made it to the visionaries toy line .

11. LiamABC

Absolutely. I'd have got them. In my Visionaries stories, they both have their parts to play - indeed, Galadria is sort of taking over from Feryl as main vehicle driver in my stories.

12. mumm_ra_n_rana

Would be nice if somebody made a toy for her now. Especially if it were made by that japanese company.

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

it would but it would be very pricey as she would have to come with her vehicle.
    It's a shame they didn't do Virulina and Galadria at least as mail away exclusives or included them with other vehicles.

14. mumm_ra_n_rana

and that's a problem?

15. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I would've loved for the Lunataks to be an actual threat on Third Earth instead of mostly being comic relief.

16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Depends how you look at it. If Figuarts were making Thundercats the standard figures would be around $60 so Mandora and her bike would probably bee around the $100 region. She isn't an exactly well known character...would any company put that much into a figure who appeared in two episodes?

17. LiamABC

She appeared in two episodes in the first season, then appeared in the later series a bit. Not a lot, but her appearances are more than can be counted on a single hand.

18. mumm_ra_n_rana

dude she appeared in let's see about 6 episodes. Twice in season 1 at least once in season 2 and 3 and quite a few times in season 4. I think that's more than two episodes.

19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I only remember the two episodes from season 1...shows how good/memorable the episodes in seasons 2-4 were.

Wilycub likes this.
  20. LiamABC

I know you and I both have a disadvantage when it comes to the later series, but surely the fact that she appeared in it at all isn't too much for you to remember!