Any fans of Batman The Animated Series?

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by KorbenDallas, Nov 9, 2011.

1. KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas Glass Walker

I am, big time since i was 10 when it had a sneek preview episode on FOX in August that year when Batman Returns came out and i watched it religiously every after school when it came out at 5:00 as i would tape every episode. I've been a Batman fan since i saw the 89 movie 6 times in theaters when i was 7, had a birthday cake with Batman icing on it, watched the 60's show on Family Channel, merchandise and read the comics including Frank Miller's Year One as i was converted into a Batman fan.

92 was a great year for the hero as i saw Batman Returns 4 times in theaters and the show did not disappoint me.

Such good writing, action, great voice acting like Mark Hamil as Joker to Kevin Conroy as Batman and many great things about it. I consider it the greatest cartoon ever! it was also surprisingly adult for a near prime time animated show that even my mom and older brother (he was also into DC and Marvel) watched it.

2. Lord Slithor

Lord Slithor Mutant

Oh yeah. I loved that show too as well as its spin-offs; what is now called either the Timm-verse or the DCAU (Superman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond and Justice League/Unlimited). They were all great shows, and really redefined what an animated action-adventure show could be. Can't say enough great things about it! :thumbsup:

3. Kameinu

Kameinu Mutant

I can't say I'm a fan because my knowledge of it isn't diverse, and I haven't watched it that constantly since I was a little kid in th late 90's.

BUT. I've been catching a few episodes on the HUB, and man, I love what I'm watching. Maybe the situations aren't that believeable, but the emotions the characters portray and their personalities are pretty and serious. It's like, this show doesn't take it's audience as ignoran little kids and wants to share the realism of life with them.

And that's also one thing I adored from the JLU series. Yes, they're superheroes, but they're still pretty human.

Plus, despite me only drawing anime, I personally preffer the look of the Timm-verse shows.

4. optimusprime

optimusprime Moderator

yes i like them and i will be watching my marathon bout them in feb and it should be lots of fun to :D

5. Lady Ocelli

Lady Ocelli Shadowspy

I love it because it's obvious that the people behind it had great respect for the source material.

6. mpsya

mpsya New Member

Mark Hamil was an inspired choice. He really did a great job!

7. Endorx

Endorx Rampager

Absolutely love Batman the Animated series. And every spin off.

We have nearly completed our animated figure collection :D And boy theres a lot, lol.

I highly recommend all of DCs newer animated films

8. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Barbarian

I am one of the "haters" of that show. While the stories and atmosphere were great, that minimalistic/subtractive design of characters started a new trend that ruined most franchises up to date.

He-Man 2002? Check! TMNT 2003? Check! Transformers whatever? Check!... and the list goes on.

For me it's kind of the opposite of what McFarlane toys did to the action figure industry. All action figures before Todd McFarlane did justice were badly designed, too simplistic and sloppy, no matter how fond my memories are. After that amazing Spawn toyline, a new standard was set for virtually every franchise.

9. Endorx

Endorx Rampager

Hmm, I dont know.. I really like Kenners 90s toys..

More so than say marvel legends etc..

Agree though that Mcfarlanes toys are outstanding, but i wouldn't blame everythings downfall on Batman?!!

10. KorbenDallas

I thought The New Adventures that came out on WB was good as the series from 92 to 95 had a couple of Batman Returns ties of having Penguin fused with his comic counterpart and Danny Devito's Penguin and of course Selina basically based off Pfefier's version. New Adventures went back to the comics source of making Selina back as a brunette and Penguin as a regular human being, but i didn't mind the revamp looks of the other characters like Joker.

He-Man 200x was awesome i thought.

11. Rizefall

Rizefall Swedish Meatball

As a matter of fact i am. Just started to rewatch it today along with Transformers :D

12. rlw1984

rlw1984 New Member

When we were kids my brother and I use to watch this everyday after school back in the early 90's. Man, how I miss those days...

13. stormbringer

stormbringer Berbill

Batman the animated series was the best Batman cartoon that was ever made. I hope the new cgi one coming next year is close to being that good, but I'm probably dreaming.

14. KorbenDallas

I hope it's as good as this show and as fun as Brave and the Bold.

15. KorbenDallas

What's everyones fave episodes?

My top 35:

1. The Forgotten.
    2. Almost Got Em.
    3. Trial.
    4. Joker's Favor.
    5. Two-Face.
    6. Feat of Clay.
    7. Mad Love.
    8. Appointment in Crime Alley.
    9. The Last Laugh.
    10. Beware The Grey Ghost.
    11. Old Wounds.
    12. Heart of Ice.
    13. Bane.
    14. If your So Smart Why aren't you Rich.
    15. Heart of Steel.
    16. On Leather Wings.
    17. Moon of the Wolf.
    18. Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne.
    19. Read My Lips.
    20. Catwalk.
    21. Ivy and Harley.
    22. Make Em Laugh.
    23. Joker's Wild.
    24. Perchance to Dream.
    25. Vendetta.
    26. Babydoll.
    27. Holiday Knights.
    28. Christmas with the Joker.
    29. Mudslide.
    30. Growing Pains.
    31. His Silcon Soul.
    32. Tyger Tyger.
    33. Cult of the Cat.
    34. Be a Clown.
    35. What is Reality.

16. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Heck yeah, I'm a fan of "Batman: The Animated Series." It was a really well written show with its unique art-deco backgrounds, top-notch voice acting, and very good animation. :)

17. DonPatch

DonPatch Junior Member

I love the animated series! The 90's series was my favorite though. Batman Beyond and the Newest animated series aren't bad either.

18. The Drifter

The Drifter Junior Member

Batman: TAS was excellent; when it first started airing in Fall '92, I became an immediate fan & enjoyed it far better than the Tim Burton films (the only BM films out at the time). It definitely has the dark, somewhat creepy vibe/tone that was prevalent in the original Batmancomics from the 1940's, but updated for the '90's.

I liked the art deco retro/modern look, square edges, and new looks for many of the old villains. Sure, it was obviously inspired by the Burton flicks (especially the more menacing/grotesque appearance of thePenguin), but it also had it's own feel.

Going along with this, the Batman: Mask of the Phantasm feature animated film is amazing, and one of the best films to come out of the '90's. Excellent story & the animation was a cut above theregular Batman animated series; you could tell they really pulled out all the stops for this.

19. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I remember Batman: The Animated Series. It was an exciting show.

20. PKELL

PKELL Laser Beast

Batman the Animated Series is one of those shows where I would have a hard time giving a Top 30 Favorite episode list. There are so many that are so good that its hard to narrow it down to even that.

I'll take a stab at a Top Ten though:

1) Almost Got 'Im: The Joker, Two Face, The Penguin, Poison Ivy, and Killer Croc sit around playing cards and trading stories about how each of them "Almost got Batman". Its a great concept that allows the bad guys to be the stars, and make them appear more human by just getting to see what they do when they aren't scheming or committing crimes. The individual stories are all great too. On paper, this concept could have easily been a clip show, using footage from past episodes to pad it out, but nope! We get all these nice gems with the villains being the fabric that holds it all together.

2) Heart of Ice = OK, I know everyone loves this episode, but when there's a reason for that. it is legitimately one of the best episodes. They took a one note gimmicky villain in Mr. Freeze and turned him into something worthy of Shakespeare. The backstory they give him provides emotional resonance and visuals that are now synonymous with the character.

3) I Am The Night: Batman doubts himself and whether or not he's doing any good, and his doubts grow even further when Jim Gordon is hurt in the line of duty. I think what I like about this one is how all the characters react to Jim's tragedy and how they almost feel like a family. Batman reacts like his father was the one that got hurt and its his fault, Robin has to be the voice of reason to talk some sense into him, Barbara has to be the rock that keeps everything together, and Bullock is the emotional one looking to point the finger as an outlet for his pain. Its all very good, and I think it works better because they didn't use one of the main rogues for the story. It allows the heroic side to stand out more.

4) Two Face Part 1 and 2 = Two Face, the criminal persona of Harvey Dent, ha always been one of my favorite Batman villains, and the series provides a superb origin story. I always looked at Harvey's fall from grace as being one of Batman's greatest failures, and they really capture that here. Also, it was a stroke of genius to introduce Harvey much earlier in the show, establish a bond between him and Bruce, and then do the origin. This only enhanced the tragedy. I also love that Harvey displayed a dual personality before the scarring. Its almost like his fate was predetermined.

5) The Man Who Killed Batman = The biggest strength of this episode is that Batman isn't in it for a majority of the episode. We get to see how people in Gotham (most noteably The Joker) reacts when Batman is no longer around. Making a nobody like Sid the Squid the focus of the episode was great too. He wants to be a big shot in the underworld, but when he appears to have accidentally bumped off Batman, he gets more than he bargained for.

6) Its Never Too Late = A more human driven story about a crime boss that is given a chance at redemption. This is a weird episode where I almost feel like it could have worked whether Batman was in it or not, but this one always felt real and human to me.

7) Mad Love = I'm not going to lie. The "New Adventures" episodes don't appeal to me quite as much as the older seasons, mainly because I wasn't a fan of the change in visual style. I get they were trying to get it to match with their Superman show, but the visuals looked much better suited for Superman. For Batman, I liked the black on black, goth-noir style. Oh well, now hat I'm off that soapbox, I think the strength of this episode is the exploration of the Joker/Harley relationship and trying to give us an understanding of why someone like Harley would be attached to someone like The Joker. There are moments in this episode that are uncomfortable to watch and one in particular that even brings a tear to my eye when I watch it.

8) Feat of Clay Part 1 and 2 = Another great origin story as we see Matt Hagen turn into Clayface. The shapeshifting blob monster was an instant favorite of mine as a kid, but going back and looking at it, Clayface really was a visual masterpiece. The fluidity of the animation for his tranformations were flawless and they amaze me every time I watch it. It also helps that the story surrounding it is great too as another one of Batman's rogues gets a tragic origin.

9) Read My Lips = Couple of things. 1) I love puppets and ventriloquism. I am a big Jim Henson fan, and when its done well, I think ventriloquism can make for a successfully funny and charming act (look at Chuck and Bob on Soap or more recently, Darci Lynn on America's Got Talent). Because of this, The Ventriloquist (and Scarface) has to be one of my favorite Batman rogues. And I love what the show did by making him a superb ventriloquist to the point that its easy to accept that they are two separate characters. And 2) I love 1940s noir type of stuff. Batman TAS was loaded with that old school noir type of look, and this episode in particular was drenched with it with its detective story set up, jazzy music, and other little touches here and there. Honestly, this feels like a Batman episode made for me. It also manages to convey a bunch of different emotions whenever I watch it. The ending where Batman gets The Dummy to turn on The Ventriloquist manages to be tense, dramatic, and hilarious all at once.

10) Beware the Grey Ghost = This is how you use a guest star. RIP Adam West. For most kids, myself included, Adam West was our first Batman. So imagine how cool it was for me to hear the voice of my first Batman working along side the (at the time) new Batman? It was a dream come true. They also told a very nice and poignant story with West's character, while also still celebrating him. They could have easily made fun of the old show, but instead, they tipped their cap to it and let both Batmen share the spotlight and its great.