Are Tygra and Bengali mutual brothers?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Blinded No More, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Blinded No More

Blinded No More Berbill

I just finished "Thundercats Ho! The Movie" and I was wondering about something: I noticed that near the end of the episode, Tygra puts his arm on Bengali's shoulder and says "Brother...", which got me to thinking.... are Tygra and Bengali mutual brothers, or did he mean they were both tigers? Also, if they introduce Bengali in the new series, that would make him Lion-O's brother too, since Tygra is Lion-O's brother in the new series! This is all so confusing!!!

2. CodeofThundera

CodeofThundera Moderator

What is a "mutual" brother? I don't know what that means.

Since they didn't ever go anywhere with that comment, I think it's safe to assume that he called Bengali "brother" because they were both tigers.

3. Blinded No More

Blinded No More Berbill

By "mutual" I meant from the same mother, as in actual brothers.

4. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

This topic has been way long discussed since that episode aired back in the 80s... it is speculated that Tygra called Bengali "brother" meaning that the Thundercats was kind of a brotherhood bond, rather than being blood brotherd.

It was highly umprobable, but the subject was never closed ;)

5. keaton

keaton Moleman

I seem to recall the UK comics were quite consistent in treating Tygra and Bengali as brothers. As was often the case, the show was less clear.

6. CodeofThundera

CodeofThundera Moderator

Oh...

I'm going to say they were not mutual brothers. I'm going to say they did not share any parent. I assumed when I was a kid and still assume today that the Tygra called Bengali "brother" because they were both tigers and they may share a common ancestry.

7. Lady Ocelli

Lady Ocelli Shadowspy

I agree with that because soldiers have been called "brothers in arms" if when they're not related by blood.

8. Blinded No More

Blinded No More Berbill

Interesting opinions, everyone. I've came to the conclusion that they weren't blood brothers in the old show, but possibly in the comics.

9. Lady Ocelli

Lady Ocelli Shadowspy

Unfortunately, I've never really read the comics and now part of me wishes I had.

10. Herald7

Herald7 Active Member

I honestly just took it as solidarity among tigers, lol. :thumbsup:

11. thunderwildcats

thunderwildcats Junior Member

In the 7th may 1988 Uk issue of the thundercats it has meet the new cats!It says bengali is the younger brother of tygra,an albino member of the same tribe of thunderians....

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  12. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

I'm glad, it's an interesting dynamic to have them as legitimate brothers. My only gripe is how short they made the Bengali toy compared to Tygra, he's like the short little brother lol

Can you post tygra's bio too? I'm curious as to his height compared to Bengali's

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  13. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I find Tygra and Bengali being legitimate brothers very fascinating.

14. Tygra_Rules

I find that info very doubtful.

First of all, it says Tygra became a TC before Bengali, as each every Thunderian would become a TC eventually. As far as the series show, only some Thunderians become the noble TCs.

Also, if Bengali had jealousy in him, it was highly improbable for him to become a noble TC.

Finally, if it was true that Tygra had usually beaten Bengali, thern Tygra wopuld be a proud Thunderian, and in "Crystal Canyon" he admitted to have been shy since he was a kid... that doesn't match a winner's personality.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  15. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Thanks for posting the fact file. It is very interesting!

I am not sure if I am on the right line of thinking or not, but I was always under the impression that the comic and cartoons canons were separate (although they of course share a large amount of content).

Merged Post:
    Also, here is the fact file for Tygra...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  16. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

I have to say, I really enjoy reading these especially since I never seen them before. Thanks fir the share, takes me back to childhood.

17. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

In my opinion, they are not brothers. The UK comics took a lot of liberties with story arcs and continuity established in the animated show.

18. thunderwildcats

thunderwildcats Junior Member

This is the UK issue of thundercats!I think they are brothers as brothers in arms!in the movie Tygra only refers to him as brother once Lion-o...knights them Thundercats! Up to that point they are just thunderians...I'm sure if they were real brothers Tygra would have said something earlier! The uk storys in the comic have different writers soo they'll have different ideas!maybe they think as there both types of tiger that makes them brothers... I love to see what people think...hence the post!also I'm making my way through the comics soo I may find other ones that don't follow the cartoon! Thanks for responding... Thundercats rule

19. Tygra_Rules

Adssse's link is not loading for me; it says the access is forbidden. Can someone bring it over, please? Thanks.

This is what I think as well (the bolds). Also, had they been really brothers, Tygra would have been way more interested and eager to rescue them in TC HO!

And, I think Bengali wouldn't have gone to New Thundera and leave his just found bother in Thrid Earth. I think they would have liked to stay together (not to say it would have been really mean from Lion-o to separate two almost-just reunited brothers).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  20. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Sorry Tygra_Rules, I am not sure what happened to the link (found it at thundercatsfans.org)... Anyway it should work now.