Are you prepared???

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by C.L.A.W., Jul 19, 2015.

1. C.L.A.W.

C.L.A.W. Junior Member

So while we write about what heros and villains we wish to do battle on our shelves, desks and other disputed pieces of furnishings. I began thinking of the inevitable "Holy Grail" that we all want, The Cats Lair. When Mattel first announced that there was a design, they also began an inhouse kickstarter. For a deposit and a promise to buy, they would give fans the largest playset ever conceived for He-Man and Skeletor to fight over. They had a meter showing how close they were to making the palace of plastic a reality. Essentialy...they paid for a Castle Greayskull, that literally took years to arrive.
    So....should Mattel offer us the same arrangement, how many of would sign up for a Cats Lair that dwarfs the original?
    Well....are you prepared?

2. eastlosfinest

eastlosfinest Junior Member

I would totally be in

3. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

A Kickstarter campaign for a Mattel-designed Cat's Lair would be totally cool!

4. C.L.A.W.

C.L.A.W. Junior Member

Heck.....I'd be happy with a Terrordrome or an HQ that doesn't involve wheels and a fold out.
    Although my joes have have been gone for 20 years or more, so that would require a completely new set to populate. Wait....hmmmmmm......

5. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

No. I'm happy to subscribe, the figures are gonna be awesome, but there is no way I'm gonna pledge $300-$400 (plus shipping to Holland) for a Cats' Lair. I'd rather spend my money on vintage items. If and when Matty deceides to offer items outside the sub, I'll cherry pick.

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I could be wrong but I believe the Castle Grayskull was a matter of $25-50 upfront while they tried to reach the goal. the rest didn't have to be paid until the release of the actual castle.

But I totally agree with you. I couldn't justify $300-400 plus shipping to Ireland on an item that size.

7. Glasslite4ever!

Glasslite4ever! Berbill

I have a MOTUC subscription since they made it avaiable for first time and I've been following up all MOTUC stages...

Castle Grayskull was a gift for all of us to celebrate 30th MOTU Anniversary after years of subscription success sales....

I know some things changed after Toy Guru left Mattel but I do not believe in Cats Lair in next few years...

Before Cats Lair, we must think about subscribe Club TC and support this new amazing collection....

On the other hand, Thundertank is light-years before Cats Lair ;)

8. C.L.A.W.

C.L.A.W. Junior Member

I totally agree with you.
    But my train of thought is this, start talking about it early. If we can show enough support for the mini-sub, they will be inclined to make it a full sub in 2017. Then the collective ideas of what the fans want will have more of an impact. If they could start the program as soon as they see this could be a profitable property, they have plenty of time to design and gather support for the Lair.

9. Glasslite4ever!

Glasslite4ever! Berbill

You are right, C.L.A.W.

I do believe in a full sub in 2017...every MOTU fan and non-MOTU fan I know is talking about TC line...
    As far as I know, most of he-man.org fans will subscribe it - because it's ThunderCats and because they will fit very well next to MOTUC figures...

For the first time we will have ThunderCats and MOTU figures in same scale...two of the most iconics characters of all time finally together !

Cats Lair is an ambition playset and I do believe it will be released eventually...as I said, some things changed in Matty after Toy Guru left but I don't believe in a playset in 3 years....now, we need to support the main characters and at least, Thundertank in my opinion...

10. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I would be willing to pledge money ahead of time and would be super phsyced for a Cats Lair! In the end it would probably depend on the final price though. As much as I would like to buy anything Thundercats, there are always the "first earth" needs. :rolleyes:

11. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

I won't mind paying for a proper Cats Lair. Yes, it will be massive and darn expensive to post, but worth it? YES! Put that $25 aside each month as if buying another figure and you'll end up paying for it in full by the time it is released. Somewhere down the line:liono

12. C.L.A.W.

C.L.A.W. Junior Member

Based on the previous MOTUC releases, I'd estimate it would be somewhere about $350.
    I suspect the Lair would be about the same cubic inches as Grayskull, but be one facing instead of the bifold design.
    And $25 a month should get you the cost of the lair and the tower. I plan on being a VERY VOCAL supporter of as many larger and unmade items as the Chinese can produce. And of couse the figures.

13. pixieking

pixieking Junior Member

I would love a HUGE Lair. (And also a Tower of Omens, which would be cheaper.) But, I would want the shoulders of the lair to be about as tall as grayskull, then the head would be on top of that.

14. Glasslite4ever!

Glasslite4ever! Berbill

I pre-ordered Castle Grayskull for $250.

Let's wait how much Mattel will ask for Snake Mountain...

15. C.L.A.W.

C.L.A.W. Junior Member

After watching the pixeldan sdcc video, and reading the post at mattycollector, I'm guessing somewhere in the $350-400 range. I'm hoping that the Lair would be about as wide as one half of Grayskull, but the large tower would only reach the cats shoulders. The head could be made a separate piece for packing and coincidently provide the rotation that I would want.:D

16. Synthalus

Synthalus Junior Member

I would love to see some vehicles first; The ThunderTank, The SkyCutter and Mandora's Electro-Charger would be my most wanted.

A 4H sculpted Cat's Lair would be amazing!!!
    As long as we got time to pay for it, I would be all over it :thumbsup:

I have the MOTUC Castle Grayskull and it's an awesome piece!
    There was no signup fee for Castle Grayskull.
    I put $25 aside every month for a year and by the time my Castle Grayskull pre-order went through, I didn't have to panic where to get the $300 (included S&H + Tax) for it :)

Maybe a Castle Plun-darr and a Mumm-Ra's Tomb with ALL 4 statues from the Black Pyramid down the road if the Cat's Lair is successful enough?

17. C.L.A.W.

C.L.A.W. Junior Member

I firmly believe that we will get them as long as the line makes it into a full sub, year one is a possibility, they have discovered that fans will buy vehicles......if they are the right ones. Thundertank....H###S YEAH!!!!!! A lunatacker...maybe not as big a seller. But we will likely get all of the LJN offerings if we can make the line a fiscal success.

18. cloudraker19

cloudraker19 Crabman

This really is a dream come true. I've never been this excited to spend all my money on something in my life. I feel like this is a long awaited prize for Thundercats fans.

I will buy any and everything they produce. Probably two of each, including vehicles.