Bandai Classic Line (Lion-O & others)

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by Vivek, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

http://www.thundercatslair.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/45307-hi-lion-o_8in.jpg
    Bandai's ThunderCats Classic Collectors Line 8" Lion-O Figure

"This figure is based on the characters appearance from the original 80's cartoon series. The figure will have 18 points of articulation and come with a with long Sword of Omens, short Sword of Omens, and ThunderClaw glove".

The skin tone seems off, looks like Lion-O has a tan. Maybe it is just because of the lighting.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. mcss aerocoupe

mcss aerocoupe Moderator

I don't know what to think. At first glance I am amazed, but then the oddities start jumping out.

If it comes with the clawshield (incorrectly named ThunderClaw) does that mean he will have interchangeable left hands? Or is the clawshield permanently attached?

And what the heck is on his left hip? Is that a sheath for the sword? Does that mean the dagger form Sword will go there instead of in the clawshield?

And the photoediting sucks, look how bad the Sword got ripped up when they were removing the background. Not only that, the image is blurry. How hard is it to get a crisp clean shot of a non-moving object? Did they get their hands on a blurry picture from the London Toy Fair and try to hide it by removing the background?

I must have gotten up on the wrong side of bed today... Otherwise the figure looks pretty good. I am not sure about the color choices, but considering the image issues I already have, I will cross my fingers it is due to bad lighting.

3. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

Wow! This figure looks way better than that other 4" Lion-O they put out!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
  4. Jaga86

Jaga86 Junior Member

This figure looks great (I'm guessing it is a prototype.) The hip piece has a nodule on the end so I guess it isn't a sheath but I hope it is a magnetic attachment for the clawsheild!

5. Jacpre

Jacpre New Member

It almost looks like Lion-O is wearing a wig with this figure.

6. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

I'm actually pretty impressed with this figure - I love the sculpt, however like others I am concerned about the sheath (?) on the right, and if this does come with the figure I hope it's removable. Still, a lot better than some have been predicting IMO, and I will definitely be getting one! :D

Take care... :)

7. Croaker

Croaker Junior Member

Looks good. Gives me a lot of hope for the collector series.
    Do we have any idea how these are going to be distibuted, if not through normal retail channels?

Are they going the mattycollector route? (that'd be hilarious if they showed up mattycollector by doing even a basic level of an online commerce website.)

8. Kameinu

Kameinu Mutant

This figure actually looks quite nice. I'm just a bit iffy about the hair, when you look at it closely it doesn't fit as it should..

And I'm hoping for general retail. If the new Power Rangers Samurai can have 7 different toy types at Toys R Us, why can't Thundercats?

9. Mike Bock

Mike Bock Active Member

Now that's what I'm talking about! This figure is awesome!
    I'm defintely going to buy this one. I can't wait to see Tygra.

10. Lilith

Lilith Active Member

That is awesome! I am so glad these will be in scale with the classic toys. This is the Lion-O figure I've always wanted. I thought the LJN Lion-O was one of the weakest sculpts in the original line.

11. Mike Bock

Mike Bock Active Member

I'm glad I preordered both classic figures the day they annouced them. I can't beleive preorders are sold out by now.

That's great news for the line and hopefuly they will continue making the classic versions of the characters along with the new ones.

12. ThunderCat78

ThunderCat78 Junior Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
  13. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

now HOLY JAGA!!

This is GOOD, really GOOD!!

It blew me away! Too bad i didn't pre-order him in the first place..

14. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Berserker

I told you the classics looked great ;D

It was the exact same image, actually I think that someone photographed the promo sheet and simply removed the background image/text.

15. Mike Bock

Mike Bock Active Member

Do you guys think we'll se Tygra at NYTF?

16. mcss aerocoupe

mcss aerocoupe Moderator

Yeah, makes sense. I was ranting a bit, but whoever did the background removal did a really bad job!! Jagged edges everywhere and they cut into the sword blade making it wavy instead of straight.

17. Kuzeh

Kuzeh New Member

Loving it!!
    This is the line I've been waiting for!
    I hope the production piece looks just as good...

18. Mint Condition

Mint Condition Junior Member

Interesting articulation breaks, especially in the upper thighs. Everything looks functional though.

I don't see a bicep rotator though, and yet his arms are able to come together to hold the sword with both hands? I wonder how...Unless the shoulders are on a nice ball joint that allows the shoulders to rotate inside the figure?

Hmm...

Also, I really want to know if these figures are going to have ab crunch articulation. I'm counting 17 visible ariticulation points as it is, and it's supposed to have 18 so I'm thinking they will.

Unless the legs also rotate where the leg meets the boots, but that would equal more than 18....

Alright enough over analyzing. I'm really excited about this figure and I can't wait to see Tygra and hopefully they'll make the rest of the initial Thundercats and Mumm-Ra in the Classics series!
    Merged Post:
    I think we'll see everything about the new Thundercats toys at Toy Fair.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  19. Mike Bock

Mike Bock Active Member

Here is a Lion-O with photoshopped eyebrows:

[​IMG]

20. pizza man z

pizza man z New Member

I really like this figure. I think the claw shield will sit on the side of this hip. If you look at the claw shield it has a notch for the hilt of the sword to slide into it so that it holds together.

Mike, I like the eyebrows. He definitely needs eyebrows.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011