Bandai > Matty

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by centurn, Feb 15, 2011.

1. centurn

centurn Active Member

OK, so will the Classics line and the Modern line both be released at retail or only via web order or both? And if so, will they be released around the world? Anybody know if it's going to be handeled anything like Mattel's (MattyCollector) MOTUC-line?

2. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

The toy line is being sold in retailers and online. You can find these toys just like you'd find Transformers, GI Joe, and Power Ranger toys :)

3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Awesome

That is awesom news, that is why I wanted Bandai or any company o make the new Thundercats instead of Mattel. :)
    HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

4. Kameinu

Kameinu Mutant

It was the best choice they could've made. When I told my co workers of all the new TCats stuff we should be seeing in our store around August, they where psyched. They may not be toy collectors like me, but seeing a toy on a shelve of their favorite childhood animated hero may prompt them to make an exception and buy. This applies to the general population. Parent takes kids to Toys R Us to buy Ben 10 or Beyblade, parent sees $20.00 Lion-O. Parent buys $20.00 Lion-O plus whatever Ben 10 or Beyblade.

I have no experience with Matty Collectible, and though the MOTU figures in question have been to my liking, I prefer the Bandai toys.

5. I wonder if MOTU will get a retail launch from Mattel now that Thundercats and Voltron will be hitting the toystores a full line of MOTU toys cant be far behind

6. If it happens this year they won't announce it until SDCC. They keep hinting at it.

The more I've actually sat and thought about it though, the more I agree with Manny and Chris on Mattel.

MOTUC isn't ready for retail. Its a great month if they go without something screwing up. We've had the following happen in the last 6 months

* Reverse Shoulders (Roboto)

* A figure (not a new sculpt for the buck or legs) that from video reviews has a hard time not falling over (Shadow Beast)

* A figure that's weapon will barely fit in its hand (Shadow Beast again)

* Having a split shipment because of distributor error (Vikor and will happen next month with King Hiss)

* A figure not having its bubble sticker applied because of distributor error (Preternia Disguised He-Man)

* I'm going to throw in the 2 Pack bungle at TRU because every single one of the 2 packs are under one item number, meaning if TRU orders them, they get a case with NO way to specify or tell if it is a particular set. This also means if the peg hooks are clogged with Skeletor/Luthors...you won't be seeing any new ones anytime soon because in their database they already have plenty of item 422333. I can't get Merman or Stratos 2 packs because my local TRUs haven't sold through the Skeletor ones yet.

I know I sometimes defend Mattel, but more so I just don't have a problem with their lack of distribution, although I guess with the TRU example above I really do. Its getting harder and harder to defend wishing they had gotten the Thundercats license. Even 2+ years into MOTUC, and it would be an absolute nightmare at retail. It would fail, miserably.

They have a long way to go before they can consider bringing that line back to the stores. It works now as a web only line because they're making slightly fewer than the core fan demand, to keep the line growing organically. But, that won't cut it for Mattel at retail.

I guess more so than anything I just wanted the Horseman to do the Classics line for Thundercats. Even though the Bandai ones look great, I think the Horseman could have taken it up another notch. If Bandai had been able to contract them for the line, that really would have been the best of both worlds. Great Horseman sculpts, no Mattel hassle.

If MOTU wasn't such an established property with as large of a core fan base as they have, MOTUC would have failed long ago.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  7. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

I wonder if Four Horseman works exclusively for Mattel? anyway I believe if fans start a petition, Bandai could contact Four Horseman to do future classic figures but that would require more $$ on Bandai's part!

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The Horsemen are good but considering wha we have seen from Bandai so far, they really don't need the 4 Horsemen.

9. voice_guy

voice_guy Berbill

I'd love to see the 4 Horsemen's take on the characters, or any of the former Todd McFarlane Toys sculptors.