Bandai Test Shots/Prototypes

Discussion in 'ThunderCats Marketplace' started by adssse, Oct 5, 2014.

1. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to check and see if anyone had any Thundercats Bandai Test Shot/Prototypes that they were looking to part with for a reasonable price? If so, please PM me. Thanks!

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

You want that Tygra prototype we talked about. ;)

3. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

PM sent Mark

4. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

5. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

6. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Are the Grune figure (and others like it) really figures that should be called prototypes? I always thought of protos as being things that would be made during the design process, before the molds are done. Either original sculpts, or parts cast from those sculpts. I see a lot of figures over here in China, and for sale on eBay, that just haven't gone through the full paint process, or molded in a different colour plastic. They get labeled and sold as prototypes, but I would consider them more just unfinished or odities.

7. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Ya I dont think they are really prototypes (just put that in the thread title to cover my bases). I actually prefer to refer to them as test shots, which I believe they tend to be as they are possibly from testing the molds.

Are these unfinished/oddities that you are referring to more prevalent over there? I dont tend to see many of them on ebay (unless I am just missing them). They sound pretty interesting to me!

8. Booshman

Yeah, test shots sounds more accurate. I've seen quite a lot of them at the toy market over here, there's odd stuff every time I go out. When there were new Thundercats around I saw a few of them. Lion-O (with the big claw) unpainted, and the glitter racers. That Grune does look pretty cool tho, I've not seen any test shots in that colour plastic before.

[​IMG]

9. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

These types of figures are pretty cool to me. Do they still consistently have these at the market that you frequent? How much do they usually cost?

If you ever decide you want to part with any of these, please keep me in mind haha

10. Booshman

They have a lot of stuff that's either unfinished or what's probably stuff rejected by QC, missing paint and pretty beat up. There's also a lot of figures bootlegged with lesser quality paint apps. They must have the molds from the official release and just keep making batches. I think you would be hard pressed to find an original Neca figure in China. Unfortunatley all the Thundercats stuff (what there was of it), has all dried up oher than a few carded 4 inch figs. I saw some Young Justice figures all boxed incorrecly recently, the names didn't match the figures in the box. If there are any particular properties you like let me know and can keep an eye out. the bag i got with the three figs pictured cost me about $8, and there was a Thunder Racer Lion-O and a complete Grune in there too.

11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I know this might sound snarky but in comparison to the toys they did release, could you imagine if Bandai actually had worse designed Thundercats toys that were so bad they didn't release them LOL. I would be interested in seeing those. :D

12. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

It sounds like a very fun and interesting place to look through. I dont have a particular property I am in search of, but all of the test shots/oddities are cool to me in addition to things like the glitter figures you found. The prices seem fairly reasonable based on what you have said. It is both interesting and scary if the molds are out there. That could end up in some very weird figures!

13. Booshman

Check out this clear Mumm-Ra my girlfriend got me for Xmas. Random Taobao find. I've never seen one like it before. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

14. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

2011 Mumm-Ra's mummy wraps are totally transparent.

15. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

That is awesome Booshman! I am insanely jealous right now :D I really enjoy all of these oddities that you find. Tell your girlfriend she did well!

Do you have any pictures of the back or feet? Are there any markings/numbers such as the normal production figures?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014