Berserker's Pre-production Collection

Discussion in 'ThunderCats Collector's Showcase' started by Berserker, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

Hi Everyone, it's time for me to start sharing my pre-production collection. I have been into toy collecting for a long time but never really gave the toy production process much thought. About a year and a half ago I was introduced to prototype toy collecting by coming across some very rare unproduced GI Joe's. That began my obsession with prototype toys.

This collection is a work in progress but I am very happy with where I am at so far. :liono

Hachiman resin handpainted hardcopy prototype ( production figure is on the right)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tygra unpainted Resin Hardcopy w/ Hardcopy whip handle (production figure on left)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheetara resin Handpainted Hardcopy w/ red staff (production figure is on the right

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tuska resin Hardcopy prototypes one w/ famous black gun (far left is production figure, middle and far right figures are prototypes)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unproduced Mumm-ra resin unpainted Hardcopy Alternate sculpt with jointed shoulders, open hands, shorter loin cloth, wider stance and more
    detailed calf and foot sculpt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking and stay tuned for more

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Awesome prototypes!

3. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

All are awesome, but that Mumm-Ra is absolutly stunning!! I think that is one of the rarest pieces of the LJN ThunDerCats line :thumbsup:

Is this the one sold by Jordan or are there more of these beautys out there?

4. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

That sure is a beautiful collection! Got to say that mummra is def a very rare and one of a kind piece! Hope to see more and it's so much fun seeing prototype collections! Thanks for the share and keep adding!

Oh, and I for one would love to see a group pic of your collection, if you can :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  5. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

Thanks Guys, Yeah the Mumm-ra is a Beauty and is the one that came through Jordan H. He spent a few years in the UK but is now back in the States :D. Amazing figure...I wish they would have went forward on production. I will post some more pictures and then a group shot.

6. Kitastrophe

Kitastrophe Junior Member

Those are really neat! I agree, the Mumm-Ra is especially great. I also love the flash glare on the last picture, it's like his eye is glowing and he is about to crack out of a stone shell it was trapped in. :)

7. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Awesome collection! That Mumm-ra is a real keeper. If produced it would have shown up later in the line of figures correct? As his hands do not seem designed to hold weapons I wonder what type of accessories he would have come with (perhaps a cape with this one)?

8. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

Yeah my crap camera skills actually made the eye look pretty awesome. Total accident though, its so hard to take a good picture of him with my phone because of that damn acrylic case.

Yeah he was supposed to be a later figure. I assume he was to have a black cape since he is similar to the Mumm-ra pictured with the growing sword Lion-O in the catalog. You're right about not being able to hold weapons and the open hands being scrapped. I think the open hands look way better than the closed hands.......Mumm-ra don't need no weapons!!

Here is a cool little piece of art. It's an early concept sketch of the Mad Bubbler by Kevin Mowrer. Looks more like a Star Wars character to me. I am really into the artwork from the line.

[​IMG]

Safari Joe resin unpainted Hardcopy w/ alternate gun. The gun looks like the LJN style gun but without the stock. Definitely different from the production rifle. Something about this figure I really love.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Although I have heard of it, I have never seen a picture of that alternative gun before. Thanks for sharing! I am glad they went with the version that they did but I really enjoy seeing all of the concepts that didnt quite make it.

10. eternian phoeni

eternian phoeni Moleman

Very Awesome Collection my friend! That Cheetara is awesome! Looking forward to more pics!
    -Greg

11. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

The Mad Bubbler's original design seems very Star Wars-appropriate.

12. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

Thanks again guys for all the comments. Finally going to add some new pictures.

Panthro painted hardcopy prototype. ( Production figure is on the left) I love this prototype. The paint is so vibrant and this is the only Panthro Hardcopy I've ever seen. Unfortunately no nunchuks but still awesome none the less.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jackalman Painted and unpainted hardcopies. (Production figure is all the way to the left) I love the differences from production, like the darker fur paint and lighter yellow accents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

Those are beautiful! You my friend have to post a group shot of your prototype/pre-production pieces. I love seeing a collection together! I also have a Panthro and he's def a favorite, especially due to his bulk and pop of color. One thing I noticed with Panthro is the lack of metal pins holding him together. I'm guessing this was an older design in the pre-production process? Again, great collection and looking forward to more, thanks for the share!

14. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

You certainly have a very impressive collection! I am so glad you found the time to share more pictures. I also like the Panthro very much. He has always been one of my favorite figures and the hardcopy is brilliant!

15. eternian phoeni

eternian phoeni Moleman

That Panthro is beautiful, one hell of a catch! Congrats!

16. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

Thank you LL! So you have a Panthro Hardcopy with molded in resin pins? I was always under the impression that resin pins were for 3rd series prototypes only but I have a few first series figures with the resin pins so maybe certain figures have them. It seems that the more bulky figures have the resin pins so that might have something to do with it. I will post a full collection shot very soon. There are a few more figures to take pictures of then I will have a full group shot for ya! Do you have a collection pic up of you prototype/pre-production stuff? I'd love to see it if so

Thanks Adssse, You and so many other people here have such an enthusiasm for Thundercats. It makes collecting and showing this stuff so much fun

T
    Thanks Greg, he's definitely a treasured piece

17. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

Yeah, I have a hardcopy Panthro and he has molded pins as well. I think you are right about the heavier figures having molded pins because my monkian is also like that. Funny enough, I just posted my proto collection. Have a look and I'm looking forward to seeing more or yours!

18. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

Time to post a few more pics of my Prototype collection.

Monkian handpainted hardcopy prototype. This prototype is huge compared to the production figure! All hardcopies are slightly bigger than their production counterparts but to me it seems like they shrunk the mold for the production figure. I always use this guy to give examples of how prototypes differ from the production toys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unproduced Berbil Bob hardcopy prototype. Another prototype that is significantly bigger then the production figure. There are some slight differences than the production figure. The pink cheeks on the prototype are actually molded circles. On the produced figures the circles are larger and on the side of the head. Also they are painted silver

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

The Monkian Comparison is very interesting! Before I had him, I noticed from an on-line picture that the toy version was slightly smaller than Panthro's toy. The Monkian prototype however is a half inch taller than Panthro's prototype, and that's without the helmet. Thanks for shedding some light on this and that Berbel Bear is adorable!

20. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

That Monkian comparison is fascinating! I had no idea that prototypes tend to run larger. I would be very interested in hearing why this one in particular seems to be on steroids.