Berserker's Pre-production Collection

Discussion in 'ThunderCats Collector's Showcase' started by Berserker, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Your prototype collection is pretty colorful.

2. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

Usually when a toy is made they create the hardcopies from the original wax or clay sculpts. They are usually around 104% to 109%. That's to allow for shrinkage when they create the final molds for the figure. They will also make a prototype bigger so they can add detail, the larger figure being easier to work with. My guess with Monkian is that the fur detail on the back and shoulders was the reason he is a bit larger. I know that figures that are 3 3/4 scale like GI Joes, had hardcopies that were 2x's larger than what the final figure was going to be. They were called 2ups and they were made specifically to get fine detail down that would otherwise be too hard to do with a 3.75" tall resin figure. I could be wrong in Monkian's case, but to me I can't see any other reason for the size, unless it was a mistake
    Merged Post:

Haha thanks! Yeah all the colors are really cool together.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Thanks for explaining the process! Do any of the sculpts ever pop up for sale?

4. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

The wax sculpts usually get pretty messed up during the process so it's extremely rare for them to survive. Usually only one is made. An intact wax sculpt would probably sell for crazy money. The only one I've ever seen, that was Thundercats related, was a Capt Cracker wax sculpt that was once owned by Wayne Thompson. I think there is a pic of it in his archive thread. You can see that it was used to make the mold because it looks pretty beat up. One possibilty is that there are wax sculpts of figures that never made it past approval. With all this new stuff popping up in the last few years, you never know!!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  5. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

That would be awesome! Its hard to believe that with so many great characters in the cartoon that there weren't more potential figures in the works.

6. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

It's cool that toy prototypes like the Feliner exist somewhere.

7. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

A very very very impressive collection, sir! :thumbsup:

It must have been really hard to track down all those prototypes. Thank you for sharing pics of your fantastic collection here on TCL.org. It really is a treat to see the prototypes which were used to make the toys that I grew up playing and still cherish. :D

8. Lamb Chop

Lamb Chop New Member

Amazing collection!

9. dan07

dan07 Glass Walker

Your pre-production collection is amazing. Totally in awe of the Mumm-ra and I love the paint job on the hard copy Cheetara. So much better than the production version.

10. Quickjaws

Quickjaws Berbill

Great collection! I recognize some of these from Wayne's collection (I believe?) Glad they went to a good home.

11. Cheetara76

Cheetara76 New Member

Wow, amazing run! Really love that Cheetara HC with red staff!

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.