Booshman's custom action figures.

Discussion in 'Fan Art & Customs' started by Booshman, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

:D Can't promise they'll be quick, but they should hopefully keep coming.
    As much as I have my issues with the 2011 series, I'm glad that it got these figures produced. Shame they switched out the scale after only two figures. I wish they did a Cheetara, I can envision most of the characters being built using Lion-O or Tygra as a base, but finding a female figure that fits the style and scale is a pain. Best option appears to be She-Hulk, but she's not ideal.

I used milliput years ago for something unrelated to figure customs, and I think that the Aves is much better. I've seen people get great results with both tho, so it's down to preference. A good tip if you want to save waiting for the clay to set is to put it in boiled water to sit, by the time the water is cool enough to take the piece out it should be rock hard.

Never tried wax. I know from videos I've seen that you can get extremely detailed and polished results. It's a very different discipline to clay tho, and requires a knowldege of the medium that will come from a lot of experience. Then there's all the extra kit you would need buy, and the fact that you have to mold and cast everything you sculpt. I'd love to have a go, but everything I mentioned previously has put me off so far.

Daremonger likes this.
  2. Booshman

Thought I'd post my Halloween costume from last year for those who haven't seen it. I work in China, so nobody but me had a clue who I was, but I had a great time. I sculpted and painted the mask on top of a plastic mask from the market. I used liquid latex and cotton wool and finished it with acrylic paints. The eyes were ping pong balls painted red, with clear red plastic centres. I dyed bandages from the pharmacy with tea and used hot glue to attach it to my under suit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daremonger likes this.
  3. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Your Mumm-Ra costume is very spot on. ;)

4. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I haven't dressed up in years but I definitely would if I had something that awesome! Great work!

Daremonger likes this.
  5. eternian phoeni

eternian phoeni Moleman

Omg dude ur costume is AMAZING!

I LOVE seeing your work!

Daremonger likes this.
  6. Booshman

Thanks everyone, glad you like it. :)

Daremonger likes this.
  7. Daremonger

You're quite welcome.

8. Wakko

Wakko Junior Member

Your work. Is. Amazing.

Daremonger likes this.
  9. Booshman

Nice one!

Here's a few pics of a couple of figures I have in the works.

First is Jaga. The sculpt is finished other than adding the 'cats logo to the chest. I'm working out how to do the cape and then he'll need painting. The piece on the back of the head is held in place with a magnet and will attach after the head is on the body to avoid cracking the sculpt. The face was completely resculpted over the top of Lion-O, the body is Tygra, with Lion-O forearms and boots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next is Cheetara. She is made from a Marvel Legends She-Hulk figure for the body, and a Jessica Alba Sin City figure for the head and hands. The main problem is that the figure was still too small compared to the classics figures, and had to be made taller. I added length to the torso, biceps, forearms and ankles. The outfit had been resculpted and the hair and face have been partly resculpted too. I'v added a couple of magnets to one arm to attach the short version of the staff weapon. The pen on the face is just as a guide to the finished look but will be completely repainted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daremonger likes this.
  10. eternian phoeni

eternian phoeni Moleman

Awesome! Thanks for sharing! Your face sculpt for Jaga is AMAZING!

Daremonger likes this.
  11. Daremonger

12. Booshman

It took ages to get it looking OK. I think I was going too detailed to begin with, so I dialed it back a bit and I think it looks much better for it. I'm gonna try taking an impression of the face with my Aves and see if I can duplicate the face with good detail. If it turns out well I should be able to make an alternate headsculpt without the helmet.

:)

Daremonger likes this.
  13. eternian phoeni

eternian phoeni Moleman

Awaiting paypal info! Give me jaga head! Lol!

Also, lunatacs have been offered to collectors at an obscene high price lately - although their not ur fav, care to give em a try? I'd love to follow
    Ur lead on these!

Daremonger likes this.
  14. Booshman

The thing with the Lunatacs is they would need to be made form various different figures due to their odd shape. I have a load of the classics that I'm using as a base for my customs, and I think there are a lot of possibilities just usiing the Lion-O and Tygra figures. The only one of the Lunatacs that could be done this way is probably Alluro, but as I mentoned there are other characters that I would much rather do.

Daremonger likes this.
  15. Booshman

Well, I tried my idea for taking an impression of the face with apoxie to create an alternate head for my Jaga custom. As you can see the result was not too great, there were many details lost and it came out overly smooth.

[​IMG]

I used this as a base to sculpt a helmetless version of the head. It was much better than starting from scratch as it gave me layout of the features a proportions. When I finished I drilled out a cavity so it sit onthe figure correctly.

[​IMG]

Here's a comparison shot of the two heads together.

[​IMG]

Daremonger likes this.
  16. Daremonger

Very nice.

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Great work Booshman.

Daremonger likes this.
  18. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Wow, as always amazing work Booshman!

Daremonger likes this.
  19. Booshman

Cheers everyone.

Daremonger likes this.
  20. eternian phoeni

eternian phoeni Moleman

Dang! Those are amazing! I love that you made two heads for Jaga!

Daremonger likes this.