Booshman's custom action figures.

Discussion in 'Fan Art & Customs' started by Booshman, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Here's Grune. He's just about finished sculpt wise. Just needs a few tweaks and a mace and I'll be ready to paint him, Jaga and Cheetara.

I used Tygra as the base and got the face blocked out.
    [​IMG]

Here he is with some hair added.
    [​IMG]

I changed the face a bit, moved the tooth, added details to the helmet, and added even more hair!
    [​IMG]

Daremonger likes this.
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

You're an excellent sculptor.

3. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

You never cease to amaze me! Grune is one of my all time favorites and I thoroughly enjoy what you have done with him thus far.

Daremonger likes this.
  4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Amazing work.

Daremonger likes this.
  5. Booshman

Thanks. I cheated a bit on this one. The shoulder pads are molded from an original LJN figure

Cheers, I really like Grune too.

:)

Here's a full length shot to show off the boots.

[​IMG]

I adjusted the ears and made the a biut smaller, I think he's done now and ready for painting.

[​IMG]

Daremonger likes this.
  6. Daremonger

You're doing great with Grune.

7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That is truly impressive. Seriously man you should disassemble these custom figures you make and make moulds of them. Then sell resin kits of the figures to other collectors. You would make quite a profit. :thumbsup:

Daremonger likes this.
  8. Daremonger

I couldn't agree more.

9. Booshman

It would be nice to be able to make copies of these figures, but it would be a massive undertaking. The Grune figure has 39 individual parts, not including the 8 pegs that attach the knees, ankles and elbows, or the 2 wrist joints. There would also be a large amount of resculpting to repair parts damaged through taking them apart, which I wouldn't imagine would be easy as the base figures are really solidly put together. I also have zero experience with molding, but I believe to get good results would require a pressure chamber to avoid bubbles. The figure also has 4 different plastic types, with different levels of flexibility. So to the amount of money that would be spent on supplies, as well as trial and error, plus the time to do it all, I couldn't see it being a money maker.

Daremonger likes this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The cost of the equipment definitely puts a damper on things and the various materials used in their construction.

Daremonger likes this.
  11. Booshman

That, and that I haven't sculpted with molding in mind, so there are some bits that wouldn't work without reworking them and removing undercuts and stuff like that. Grunes hair would make casting his head a nightmare.

Daremonger likes this.
  12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That's true, casting would be a problem with certain parts.

Daremonger likes this.
  13. Booshman

Didn't fancy painting my completed figures yet, so I made a Silky to go with Tygra.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daremonger likes this.
  14. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

Hey, thats pretty neat! Well done!:)

Daremonger likes this.
  15. Daremonger

Silky looks incredibly well done here.

16. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Very cool! I really enjoy seeing your work.

17. Booshman

I'm in the process of finishing off all of the figures/ sculpts I have in the works. I'll try to post a figure a day until they are all revealed.

First up is Lion-O. I've re-sculpted the nose and chin as well as some of the hair. I've also repainted the entire figure to better match the colours from the cartoon.

I adjusted the claw shield so the fingers are closed and made the top (where the sword goes in) a bit smaller. The claw now attaches to the leg with magnets, so no more clip on attachment.

The Sword of Omens was painted, and I chopped off the flimsy plastic blade and sculpted an new one from apoxie, so it stays straight. The dagger was painted to match the cartoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still to come:

Jaga, Silky and Tygra, Grune, Cheetara

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    Daremonger likes this.
  18. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Amazing! I really enjoy the hair modification and the authentic colors.

Daremonger likes this.
  19. Blackwing

Blackwing Junior Member

If the bandi reissues looked this great I think the line would have thrived!

Nice work!

Daremonger likes this.
  20. Daremonger

Gosh, Booshman. Your version of Bandai 1985 Lion-O is pretty stellar, including the Sword of Omens' dagger and longsword modes.