Can We Talk About Mutants?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by mumm_ra_n_rana, Oct 21, 2016.

1. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

Yeah I know this coming from me, the psycho Mumm-Ra fanwoman. But I feel Mumm-Ra is talked about enough and much as I adore talking about him and could tlak about him for hours if somebody let me, I figured I'd give the Mutants some attention. No, I don't hate the mutants. They annoyed me at first but after awhile they warmed up to me, my only complaint really is that the animators keep changing the amount of gingers on their hands for some odd reason, making them have four in one episode and then five on another, the biggest culprits of this being vultureman and Slithe. XD

That being said, why don't we discuss those moments when the mutants show more character than just the stereotypical "we are evil" thing because there ARE moments where they show more of their character than that. So, who wants to start?

Daremonger likes this.
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I'll go first. I like the tension between the Mutants, especially when Vultureman's around. It shows how much they hate each other as much as they hate the ThunderCats.

3. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

The first episode also has Tygra being surprised that they're working together. Though I believe the scene isn't on the DVD.

Daremonger likes this.
  4. mumm_ra_n_rana

I'm kind of surprised Monkian called Slithe sexist for telling him to go and find a woman to do all the housework at the castle. XD

Daremonger likes this.
  5. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I wasn't surprised. You could just feel the tension in the air between these guys.

6. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

I always liked the Mutants. In the beginning they were a real threat, kind of scary even (I must confess I found them evil when they actually KILLED Thunderians in "Exodus", and also Slithe gave me the creeps in "Fireballs of Plun-Darr"); as the first season advanced, they became merely Mumm-Ra's lacays, but they were still interesting. In the second season, when the Lunataks were supposed to overshadow them as a threat, I still found the Mutants more interesting and attractive in their desings, and even as dangerous as the Lunataks if not more; and even when they all were turned into a comic relief by the second half orf season 2, I liked the Mutants more and found them funnier; never really cared for the Lunataks, but the Mutants were a essential part of the show. Getting rid of them the way the writers did was a sham as big as the one they did with Tygra and Pumyra (just so you have an idea of how much I disliked that).

What I never understood is why they looked so primitive compared to the TCs (I understand they were evil, and evil is primitive, that and they were supposed to be more"animalistic" to hint their primitive and brutal nature, but still). Their weapons, vehicles, technology and clothes seemed primitive against the TCs ones (again, I understand the why at the background). Also, I never liked that they didn't get proper names (like the TCs? At least they weren't Lionman, Tigerman, Pantherman, Cheetahwoman, Wilyboy, Wilygirl and Jaguarman), if not for Slithe.

In another thread it was discussed what powers we consider they should have got, so I won't get into that now (just will say: Slithe: posionous tail or spit; Monkian: commanding ape-related beasts; Jackalman: speed and smell; Vultureman: flying), but along with that they could have had a unique weapon each that identified them. Usually Monkian used a shield, but other than that, there was an axe, a flail and a maze/morning star, but they used to use them as they grabbed them. Like "I call for the axe!" or "You had the maze yesterday, it's my turn".

Finally, they could have shown more of their personalities. Yes, Monkian calling Slithe a "sexist" was like Wow!, and stating he ahd a date with a Warrior Maiden was kind of funny (can you imagine such a couple? What about their offspring?). Maybe some perosnal traits that arise some conflicts between them.

I liked episodes that focus on one of them, like "Jackalman's Rebellion", "Monkian's Bargain" or "Superpower Potion", but I'd have liked to see more of them as individuals that have something more than a power thirst.

adssse likes this.
  7. mumm_ra_n_rana

Well Jackalman and Monkian for all their fighting and disagreements seemed to friends, in a very strange way. Maybe I'm just reaching here but those two seemed to have this best buddies kind of vibe to them or two brothers. Jackalman as the annoying and whiny one and Monkian being the long suffering one who thinks he's smarter than he really is. That would make Slithe their dad and Vultureman as their somewhat crazy uncle. XD

Speaking of vulteman, in the epuisode where that alien ship thing landed on earth and had a mental link with cheetara he was the only one who didn't want to destroy it because he wanted to learn about it. That episode could have ended with vultureman remarking about this to the thundercats when they came to retrieve it. I mean I was expecting him to tell them he wasn't going to let anyone destroy it and also wasn't willing to hand it over because he wanted it for himself and intended to hide it from everyone so he could learn all he could. (ending was somewhat disappointing to be honest)