Capcom's Disney Afternoon Collection Brings Back Six NES Classics

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by Wilycub, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

WOW! I would be really tempted to get a PS4 now just for these games. Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers is one of my all time favourite NES games.
    The Wii U/Switch is tempting just for Zelda Breath of the Wild and a few other Nintendo exclusive games but with these games and a lot of the other stuff on PS4 I think I would be more interested in getting a PS4. I hope these get released on the PS3.

adssse and Wilycub like this.
  3. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I agree with a PS3 release. I would be interested in buying it but don't have any of the consoles it is releasing for.

4. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I'm very excited about this. The Disney Afternoon was an excellent block from the '90s.

5. Serval

Serval Berbill

I just end up getting all the consoles in advance in order to save myself from these existential headaches later on.

The Switch is worth getting (either now, or in the future) as its fate is more or less guaranteed [it sold about 2 million units during the first week of sales (if they release a core Pokemon game, Nintendo could easily bring up their install base to 20 million)]. It is, in essence, everything that Wii U was supposed to be but was not. The product itself feels very well designed, sophisticated but minimalist. The controller feels like heaven and the HD rumble functionality could be extended to include VR (if Nintendo ever decides to go that route). It is the most powerful handheld ever made. Breath of the Wild received more 10's than any game before it. I would not get Wii U at this point in the game cycle. Many of the AAA Wii U titles are being ported over to Switch and turned into 'Deluxe' editions (e.g. Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon 2 etc.)

The PS4 (or PS4 Pro) is worth getting. Sony usually brings out their killer apps late into the console cycle. Now, we are seeing some triple AAA titles like Uncharted 4, Nioh, Nier Automata, Last Guardian, Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War.

Of course, as a multi platform owner, I would also recommend the Xbox One, mainly because of its massive library of exclusives, BC and superior gaming interface. The only reason I would not recommend the console is if you already own a gaming PC rig (which completely undermines the concept of an Xbox due to cross-compatibility features) or if you are keen enough to pick up the Xbox Scorpio. Xbox Scorpio is quadruple the power of Xbox One (and double the power of PS4 Pro) and should launch later this year at roughly $399-599.

I was kind of hoping that the Disney Afternoon Collection would receive a graphics makeover (like Ducktales) but the rewind feature makes these games well worth it (especially since I suck at retro games). Strangely enough, Capcom's Disney Afternoon Collection looks like it was made for the Switch. I am surprised that the Switch was excluded as that would have been my platform of choice for this collection of games.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017 at 4:20 PM
    Mark M likes this.
  6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I really hope they get released on the PS3. The re-mastered Duck Tales was great.

There is lots to take into consideration when purchasing a new console. As awesome as the Zelda game looks and all the BC games their is still the issue of if other really popular titles like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, WWE, FIFA etc. will be available on the console. Without those titles being available I think most people will still stick with PS3/4 and XBOX ONE/360.
    Most of my friends either have XBOX ONE or PS4 so I am really not sure which I would choose. There are excellent games for both consoles. I have always been more of a PlayStation fan but since I have the PS3 and a lot of the classics PS1 and 2 games downloaded, and since the PS4 isn't backwards compatible, I suppose it would make more logical sense to get the XBOX then I could expand the game library with the various XBOX One and 360 games.

Serval likes this.
  7. Serval

Serval Berbill

Alternatively, if you don't mind saving up, you could purchase the Xbox Scorpio by the end of the year. It should be BC with most of the Xbox family devices (Xbox One S, Xbox 360 and XBLA) with the possible exception of the original Xbox. However, by the time the Xbox Scorpio launches (I'm assuming it will sell for anywhere between $400 to $600), the Xbox One S will be slashed down to $199. As far as the Nintendo Switch is concerned, I don't foresee any major price cuts for the next 18 months or so.

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I don't play videos games that much to really need the Scorpio.

It's a shame Nintendo are keeping Zelda and Mario exclusives and the old NES , SNES, N64 etc. I think they would make lots more money porting their games to XBOX and PlayStation a bit like what Sega did with Sonic etc.
    Are some XBOX and 360 titles available to download on XBOX One? I believe I read that the XBOX One plays the 360 discs, is that true?

Serval likes this.
  9. Serval

Serval Berbill

There are a ton of Xbox 360 games that can be downloaded on Xbox One. I am an avid gamer and it seems that more than 70% of my Xbox 360 games can be played on my Xbox One. I was waiting on Assassin's Creed Rogue (since, I disconnected my 360 and never got around to purchasing it) and MS made it playable on Xbox One a few weeks ago. I am still waiting for SF3 to be made BC (they made SF4 BC so there is hope!). You can either download them directly or pop in the disc. Xbox One is BC with 360 but not Xbox. A few Xbox classics (e.g. Oddworld) have been remade and can be found on Xbox Live (or PSN), but for the most part the service includes the 360 library. MS is also very active with regards to BC and they are adding more titles as we speak (as of now, there are 250 BC games). Personally, I love titles like Killer Instinct, Forza, Gears and Halo and am quite pleased with the XB1 overall.

Nintendo feels that if they were to lend their properties it will lead to brand dilution. Their mobile attempts have been mixed at best. Nintendo views themselves as a toy company first and foremost. It plans to extend its brands (and mascots) to include Universal Theme Park. They seem to be invested in Disney, as well.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017 at 5:49 PM
    Mark M likes this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

After I got rid of my old consoles (Spectrum, Commodore, NES, PS1, PS2) in 2008 I got a XBOX 360 but it crashed then I switched to the PS3. It's a shame PS3 dropped BC. I should have got one of the first PS3's that was BC then I could have kept my PS1 and 2 games. I had some really good ones like Star Wars Battlefront 1 + 2, Robotech, MOTU, Transformers Armada etc.
    I wonder would my XBOX account still be active if I had a 360 or XBOX One. I used to have the TMNT Arcade game downloaded on it. :)
    Halo and Gears of War were quite fun to play. I heard the Fable games I really good but have never played them.
    The most recent games I got are WWE 2K17 and the Mass Effect Trilogy.

Serval likes this.
  11. Serval

Serval Berbill

You have the coveted TMNT arcade game! I hope you can still retrieve that game. Some of the games that have been taken down can not be repurchased but redownloaded...however, other games are not even accessible (redownloadable). I remember that there were issues with UMvsC3 and Skullgirls (e.g. PSN), but most issues get resolved, eventually (e.g. DKC trilogy on virtual console).

I think it is best to call the MS representative and clarify your situation. I'm not sure how many years MS allows for the system account to lapse before it becomes invalid. You can play all the Fables, Gears and Halo titles on Xbox One. It's nice to have everything on one platform. Nowadays, I tend to make a lot more digital purchases as it is convenient.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 4:50 PM
    Mark M likes this.
  12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I sold the 360 and got the PS3 about six years ago. I think they will have probably shut the account down lol. I would love to play the TMNT Arcade game again. I used to have it for the Commodore. It was better than the NES TMNT game. The NES game was extremely difficult.
    There is definitely pro and cons to getting a PS4 or a Xbox One. I would be tempted to stick with PlayStation as if they made the PS4 able to download and play all the PSN content I have already downloaded that would be awesome. But getting an Xbox would mean new games and getting to play some Xbox classics. :)
    I might give MS a call just out of curiosity and see if the account still works.

13. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

It's great that they are doing this but you can easily get these on the nes classic hack. I have them all minus tail spin. Since these are the same games that were available on the original nintendo, wouldnt it be more fun to get an nes classic and play these like you did as a kid? What am I missing here lol!

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

You should get Tail Spin.
    The NES mini isn't very easy to get anymore and costs way too much for all it is. If they were still able to be bought for about £50 I would be interested but not at the current prices. It would just be as cheap to buy an old computer with emulators.