CG ThunderCats?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by T-Cat, Jan 5, 2015.

1. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

If CN decides to do a new series, I think they may look to go CG just like the new shows on CN:

Sonic Boom, Transformers and the new Power Puff girls!

I prefer this style of animation though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR3tI9AP7Fk

2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I prefer my "ThunderCats" to be 2D. ;)

3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I prefer 2D, but if they did a CG series I would be okay with it as long as the had the right creative team working on it, especially a competent writing and design team.

4. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

I prefer 2D as well! But I think CG is way more appealing to kids! I was thinking Rankin Bass styled CG with Joaquim Dos Santos fighting scenes w/ great story telling! #Epic

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I am not sure of the later, but a BIG YES to Rankin Bass style designs. :D
    I was recently watching some Rankin Bass cartoons, Flight of Dragons, The Last Unicorn and their Lord of the Rings cartoons and you can really see the style in Thundercats.

6. Rizefall

Rizefall Swedish Meatball

I really hate CG shows. It just looks ugly because it's made cheap. They lose so much detail, at least at the first episodes of the new Turtles show and the newest batman one (what ever it was called). When Batman drove around in the city or when the turtles was looking for pizza, there was almost never anything in the background or around them like people, other cars or what not.

I'd take what i get, but just let it be "2D".

7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Beware the Batman. Haven't seen it.

My problem with the Ninja Turtles is that the stylized design they have in the CG show doesn't really translate 100% well to action figures. April being a great example, her action figure is hideous. In the cartoon April, Casey and Kari have rather large heads and very scrawny bodies. Even the 4x Turtles were too detailed and didn't really match what was on screen so they had to make them less detailed and more smooth to match the cartoon.

8. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

I agree! The humans look kinda silly but thankfully ThunderCats don't have too many humans in their universe!

I must say the best part of the TMNT show is when the turtles go into stealth mode (having no pupils) it has that dark comic book feel! I love it

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It's not just humans though. All characters can fall victim to bad proportions. Like NS Mumm-Ra with his huge body and small head.
    Over exaggerated proportions may look good in comics and in some animation but sometimes it really doesn't translate well to action figure form.

As Rizefall mentioned the Beware the Batman cartoon. I wasn't a fan of that artistic design but even those people who thought it looked good on screen can see that the style did not work for screen accurate toys.

10. NuudoruNoMasho

NuudoruNoMasho Berbill

I hate 3d.... But I'd forgive it if the other elements compensated (I love the crap out of ReBoot... but It ain't for the visuals). That 2.5D I don't mind so much, cell shaded CGI. If they did something unconventional, I'd say go ahead (the OS was an odd duck stylistically)... but I suppose the virtue networks see in CGI is it's "safeness" and thus, unconventional is a little out of the question.

11. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

I understand! There is good CG out their it really depends on the production company.

I just saw the trailer to the "Peanuts" movie by Blue Sky Studios and WOW!

So the potential is there if done right....

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Beast Wars and Beast machines were also very good.