Cheetara Statue Up on Hard Hero!!!

Discussion in 'Modern Collectables' started by Lord LionO, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

Check it out... if you dare

http://www.hardhero.com/thundercats-cheetara-statue.html

"Are they kidding me!" was my first response. It completely fails to capture the character. This isn't cheetara, its a blond dressed as her. Maybe its from the angle but, clearly the pose lacks her spirit, looks more like a typical pin up girl pose with her butt in the air. Her hair also needs some wind through it so it doesn't just look like wad of gum. They should have looked at the eye proportions and made it more feminine and accurate, very dull and bla! Sadly I think the eyes, just don't "have it" Bttm line, I'm very discouraged and disappointed about this piece, Lion-O I could swallow but this is just a fan custom at best. I'm seriously reconsidering collecting this statue line.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

I totally agree. It doesn't look like Cheetara AT ALL. I'm very disappointed. :(

I really liked Lion-O too.

3. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Not digging the face, but the body sculpt turned out great. I am not sure about buying this though.

4. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Berbill

Hmm.. wow. Well, it's certainly not what I was really expecting, given the quality of the Lion-o figure. (wasn't a big fan of the "fur" texture, but still dug the overall look).

Can't lie, and say I won't buy her.. but I'll most likely shop for the best price.
    But, yeah.. the face. The expression just doesn't do the pose justice.

5. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

I've got to be honest, I actually quite like it! I much prefer it to the Lion-O statue. But, I agree with some of the other reviews I've read online, there's no way I'd pay $200 for one even if I could, for that sort of money it just lacks a certain "wow factor". :(

Take care... :)

6. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

Hey Guys, Rob Potts answered some of the feedback over at statueforum.com

"Hey, Guys
    I thought I'd address some of your comments on Cheetara, pose, etc.
    As for the pose, we did start with the screen grab from the intro.
    However, working in 3D we found that the legs in the screen grab pose were way too far apart and wouldn't translate in 3D at all. The screen grab shows her feet placed extremely wide. The distance approx. 2/3 of her total height. Something that looks OK in a 1/10 second frame, but this is one of those aspects that doesn't work in 3D.

To prevent possible breakage issues, we chose to change her front hand into a fist, protecting the fingers. Her claws are visible on exposed fingertips.

I do think the light color of her skin flattens the overall look in the photography.
    I suppose we could go in with PS and shade areas that would better represent the real statue.
    Thanks"

As much as I'd like to throw it up to bad photography, I still can't get over at what a lousy Cheetara hard hero cranked out. From the face, which is completely unrecognizable as Cheetara to the awkward and stiff posture. Hard Hero dropped the ball on this line. I think I 'd rather loose the $40 deposit on Lion-O and not bother with this line. I think Hard Hero will make more money on canceled deposits than with selling the actual statues. Thanks Hard Hero for squashing any Thundercats dreams one fan might have...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  7. JimmyP$Hayes

JimmyP$Hayes Active Member

Well, I'm on Team He-Fan. I actually like it. The pose, IMO, is classic & instantly recognizable as Cheetara. I do wish the face looked a little more like her, but I have a feeling when these statues are put together they're all going to look REALLY bad-ass!

8. brollicon

brollicon Junior Member

i have to say it looks better then lion-os version. i think i am getting this one does anyone know if the whole line of good characters is getting a statue

9. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

Here is a comparison of the statue close up before and after I gave it a quick modification.
    This is what I believe Cheetara's face should looks like! Softer and more feminine with character The eyes should be more oval with a raise in the top eye lid, not a sharp downward angular look. That works with the guys but not the ladies. Let me know what you guys think? Can someone also post this over at the statue forum, I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  10. Mark / Grizzlor

nice modification there. What about if you gave her more of a grin, in the vein of this image?

[​IMG]

11. Shanytc

Shanytc New Member

12. Mark / Grizzlor

Actually the artist for the T-Cat line is Paul Bennett http://pbsculpt.blogspot.com/
    Merged Post:
    Hard Hero will be looking at making modifications to the Cheetara sculpt based on some of the comments posted here and elsewhere.

Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2009
  13. catspat

catspat also known as...Leppardra

The body of the Cheetara figure isn't at all bad, even though the sculptor made it like that of a Radio City Rockette or a Las Vegas showgirl. The legginess is appropriate since Cheetara is the fastest runner among the Cats. But I do agree about the face; they gave her a cold expression. It should have more emotion, like the self-confident grin that Grizzlor mentioned or a look of determination. And, yes, the hair needs more work done on it to make it look natural. :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  14. Mark / Grizzlor

Someone on a statue collecting forum posted this image where they photoshopped a suggested facial change to the Cheetara statue. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

15. catspat

Yes, the suggested head and face are much better! But her eyelids should be lavender, not blue. :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  16. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Berbill

I'll go with door number 2... larger eyes, softer expression. Not quite sure about the chin, maybe a little too rounded; but still better overall.

17. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

I prefer the changes made by Lord LionO, which was a much gentler Cheetra.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. willeya

willeya Guest

Sorry Irish. According to the Thundercat animation cels on my wall, her lids are blue.

19. catspat

Oh? Funny, they look lavender on the DVDs and on the cells that TCL has posted here. Hmm. Perhaps your cells were done by different animators? :)

20. Copperkid

Copperkid Vortex Explorer

i actually like the suggested version so kudos to whomever did that. my next request is for a life size replica Snarf just like those life sized Golem's from LOTR and Yoda's lol