Cheetara's poster by Watson Portela

Discussion in 'Vintage Collectables' started by Glasslite4ever!, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Glasslite4ever!

Glasslite4ever! Berbill

Hello all !

I remember in the 80's here in Brazil we had some local artists working in huge franchises like He-Man, She-Ra, Marvel heroes, etc...

One of the rarests publications at time was a magazine-poster illustrated by Watson Portela...it's very rare because the publisher was not famous...only two issues were released - I have the first one but I'm missing the Cheetara's pôster...

Watson illustrated some He-Man and She-Ra comics and created wonderful characters. like Górgone and Shezar, for example...

[​IMG]

2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Beautiful artwork. A great piece to have in your collection!

3. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Cheetara looks brilliant here.

4. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

He captured her likeness spot on! Great poster and a beautiful piece

5. Glasslite4ever!

Glasslite4ever! Berbill

Thanks, guys !

As I said, there were two issues of these magazine-posters here...I purchased the first one (Lion-O poster) about a year ago but the Cheetara poster made by Watson Portela is very hard to find.

That's the first issue:

[​IMG]

6. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

That Lion-O one is pretty cool too. It has a very clean look to it as it is not cluttered allowing one to appreciate the art.

7. Glasslite4ever!

Glasslite4ever! Berbill

Yeah, I love this art too...it's a promotional art probably done by Rankin/Bass studios...

The Cheetara one is an original brazilian art...as far as I know, that's the only TC art Watson Portela did...on the other hand, he created and illustrated some of the best He-Man and She-Ra brazilian adventures...

8. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

The Lion-O art is a hand drawn copy of the Rankin & Bass official promotional poster. It was quite common for that art to be copied and modified to suit the product it was being used on. There's no chance that any of the R&B or PAC (Japanese animation art studio) artists did the magazine art you posted, I would bet a local artist submitted the piece.

Here's the official piece of art:

[​IMG]

Here's a modified copy version of the same art used for a board game

[​IMG]

9. Glasslite4ever!

Glasslite4ever! Berbill

Oh, no, no...I tried to say the first issue used a prior promotional art done by Rankin/Bass and the editor just took over the original Lion-O art...
    For example, that's the same art used on the sticker album cover here in Brazil.

On the other hand, the second issue brought an original art of Cheetara by Watson Portela on the cover...

10. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

What I'm saying is that the Lion-O piece you posted is a hand drawn copy, likely by someone in Brazil. There's no way that it was done by a R&B or PAC artist.

11. Glasslite4ever!

Glasslite4ever! Berbill

OK, I understand...