Chima is a ripoff of Thundercats

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by mmartino, Aug 18, 2013.

1. mmartino

mmartino Junior Member

I noticed at Walmart this toylline called Chima. It looks like a ripoff of Thundercats. The leader has a lion head with red hair like lion-o and the villian is some kind of crocidile. I saw the toys in the lego asle and they have a dvd out too. WTF? Any thoughts fellow fans?

2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I haven't really been paying attention to that show.

3. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff

Actually it's not. Its closer compared to battle beasts.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I agree 100%.

5. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Berserker

It's a Lego franchise ripping off ThunderCats in order to compete with Battle Beasts.

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I doubt competing with Battle Beasts was top of Lego's list since the current Battle Beast line is a Diamond Select exclusive and not exactly making them millions.

7. mmartino

mmartino Junior Member

The Chima motorized lego set has something that is similar to a thundertank vehicle but its not grey and a bit taller. I was considering buying ti to go along with my minimates Thundercats.

8. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

Dan Norton mentioned on Facebook once that stuff from Chima looked a LOT like stuff from a packet they sent Lego for a ThunderCats pitch that Lego didn't accept. Check out the similarities between the Armor of Omens and the "CHI" version of Laval.

9. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I hadn't heard that before. I would be very interested to see what they sent. It would have been awesome to have official Thundercats Legos.

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Their pitch to Lego would have allowed those people at Lego to watch some of the NS and that is probably why they were not interested.
    Besides from not being very kid friendly there really wasn't a lot of vehicles or play sets they could make to relate to certain episodes of the NS.....now if it had been the OS there would have been a lot of vehicles and play sets they could have made, but without a TV show or comic etc to promote it Lego still would not be interested.

I still recall Dan Norton saying that Chima sealed the NS fate, which was nonsense as the NS was in trouble before anyone even heard of Chima.

11. hammy0924

hammy0924 Ultimate No-Life

Chima isn't a ripoff. In order to be a ripoff, it would also have to take at least some of the quality from the NS. If any of you have seen the show, you know what I mean. At least it's getting abysmal ratings.

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yep, the Chima show is terrible....well I only watched one episode but that was more than enough.

13. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

ThunderCats wasn't any less kid friendly than Star Wars or Batman or other franchises they use.

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It depends on what you class as being kid friendly.

15. mmartino

mmartino Junior Member

Walmart has a giant lego Chima clock in the lego aisle for $24. It looks like a statue of an ancient thundercat leader. I will buy it next time and add a thundercats symbol where the clock is. I will post a pic in the customs section. It will look sweet.

16. WaffenKatzen

WaffenKatzen New Member

I did in fact notice this in ze toy store. Very similar, but it could simply be coincidence.

17. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I never watch "Chima."

18. techietaichi

techietaichi Junior Member

I've observed "Chima" and though there's some similarities between Laval and Lion-O, I wouldn't consider Chima to be a ripoff. There's too many aspects that make it way different than TC. I don't even have to cite these differences and people would know what I'm talking about.