Classic poster art in 2011 design by Wilycub

Discussion in 'Fan Art & Customs' started by Mark / Grizzlor, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

Imagine if the best piece of art ever was updated for the 2011ThunderCats designs. Then imagine that acclaimed ThunderCats.orgStaff Writer and Artist, Wilycub was helming the piece... well... you're welcome!
    More to come.

[​IMG]

Daremonger, Sebastiaan and Wilycub like this.
  2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I'm pretty excited for this! If it is done by Wilycub I have full confidence it will be epic!

Daremonger and Wilycub like this.
  3. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

2011 Panthro looks just so awesome thanks to Wilycub. ;)

Wilycub likes this.
  4. SnarfofOmens

SnarfofOmens Berbill

WOW! can't wait to see the rest, this is a fantastic piece. Thankyou Wilycub!

Wilycub and Daremonger like this.
  5. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

Love this, super excited about this poster. Would Wilycub be so kind to add Wilykit and Pumyra, Bengali and Lynx-O to the old poster and pretty pretty please release it in highres for me to print and frame it? Hope Wilycub includes Pumyra too in the new poster.

Daremonger and shortfuse like this.
  6. Daremonger

If he can design a 2011 Ben-Gali, then Wilycub will do no wrong. And don't forget 2011 WilyKat! :)

Sebastiaan likes this.
  7. Sebastiaan

Yes of course, seeing as the original poster already had Wilykat in, I hope the 2011 poster will not just include him, but Kit too :)

Daremonger likes this.
  8. Daremonger

That's so true.

9. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

This project will extend as far as recreating the original poster and the characters pictured in it. So Wilykit and the Season 2 T-Cats won't be included.

Daremonger likes this.
  10. Sebastiaan

Oh no, really sad :( Would've been awesome to at least have Wilykit included. Either way, can't wait to see the end result!

Daremonger likes this.
  11. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Be cool to see Wilykit added to the original poster. I think she could be tucked in between Wilykat and Jaga, and it would work without throwing off the composition too much. Perhaps another project for Wilycub on another day.

Daremonger and Sebastiaan like this.
  12. Sebastiaan

Yes yes yes Booshman, I totally agree! And I would really love to have that in HighRes to print and frame. I will also pay for it! :monkian

Daremonger likes this.
  13. Sebastiaan

What could also work is perhaps to move Snarf down just a tad and put Wilykit in there in front of Cheetara.

Daremonger likes this.
  14. thezaxfactor

thezaxfactor Staff Writer and Moderator TC.org Staff

A version of the original piece with WilyKit included does exist, but it's an outline-only version in one of the Random House coloring books. Courtesy of Purrsia...

[​IMG]

If the point is just to 2011-ify the iconic poster as we all know it, then I can understand not wanting to add characters. But, personally, I'd love to see a Wilycub interpretation of Kit in the original piece.

15. Daremonger

Seeing Kit in this custom Random House piece supplied by Purrsia (props to her for sending it) is more than enough for me. ;)

Sebastiaan likes this.
  16. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Thank you all for the wonderful compliments! I'm flattered that you all liked the artwork so much. :)

To create a 2011 version of the Classic poster was Mark's (Grizzlor) brilliant idea. Essentially it would be a mirror image of the Classic Poster (hence the 2011 Panthro is inverted). I've had a great time working on this project with Mark and his input and suggestions have always been a great help to me.

As far as adding more characters to the poster, well as much as I like the suggestion, at the moment we just want to focus on creating a 2011 version of the Classic Poster just as it is (sans WilyKit). Maybe (and that's a big maybe), in the future, after the entire 2011 poster is completed, we could think about it. But that would mean creating two characters for each addition (one Classic and one 2011) and since characters like Bengali never had a 2011 counterpart, it would pretty much have to be an original creation.

For now, enjoy this "cartoony" version of the Classic poster that I had done some years back. I included WilyKit in it as well! :biggrin
    [​IMG]

shortfuse and Daremonger like this.
  17. Daremonger

It's still a great custom poster. And I absolutely love your version of the classic ThunderCats logo. :)

Wilycub likes this.
  18. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Really digging the cartoony version as well Wilycub. You always do amazing work!

Sebastiaan, Wilycub and Daremonger like this.
  19. Daremonger

Yes, he does. If fate deemed it, there'd be brand-new ThunderCats (1985 or 2011) novelizations, and Wilycub would be one of the best cover-art illustrators.

Wilycub and Sebastiaan like this.
  20. Sebastiaan

Whatever Wilycub does, I'll be thrilled. Loving the mirror image idea. Loving the possibility of having Wilykit added one day (when you do that, would you mind updating Kat's hair as I know Kit ended up with his stripe and he got different ones lol). I won't mind if the new TC's aren't included (although I'd love it!) but that poster has always been incomplete for me because my favourite is absent :(

Daremonger likes this.