Clear Bandai ThunderCats Photos

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by Mark / Grizzlor, Feb 1, 2011.

1. egoing

egoing Junior Member

I am going to give Bandai a pass on the sculps of the 3 3/4 scale figures. Yes, the sculpts proportions are off especially the hands, the face is more westernized than Japanese anime. This is only the first wave. I'm hopeful they will improve with time. It's a wait and see how true to the anime and the 1980s Thundercats the larger figures will be.

2. Snake-Eyes

Snake-Eyes Junior Member

Looks interesting so far. And there will be NEW fully articulated figures based on the ORIGINAL series also?

3. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Honestly, i can't say i am blown away by these pictures.

Cheetara looks like a nice elf.

Lion-o in a nutshell, is much more better in LJN's old Toy version.At least, strictly talking in Action Figures terms, i prefer the 25 year old Lion-o. He was imposing, excellent proportions, vibrant colors, conferred a statue quality, dynamic presentation.

Snarf is a hotchpotch of Gremlin and Pokemon.:thumbsdown:.

On the other hand, Thunder tank and especially the sword of omens look very good.

I should STRESS here: my opinion aims only to the Toys not to the New Series designs. There is a big difference

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  4. Endorx

Endorx Rampager

That sword of omens looks crap and cheap.. But going from this they must be doing 2 types? I love the other one on show

[​IMG]

Cant decide whether or not i like the figures...

I hate the bolt in joints, they look like they will break easily!

and looking at Lionos suit it already has paint peel.. great look :rolleyes:

[​IMG][​IMG]

:confused:

Ill wait till i can get my hands on one and have a proper look...

5. lostdwarf

lostdwarf Vortex Explorer

Just noticed that Cheetara has no spots on her like the original did.

6. mcss aerocoupe

mcss aerocoupe Moderator

The cartoon stills show a few spots on her shoulders and hair, but the figures don't appear to have them (yet). Maybe the non-deluxe figures don't get them?

7. Saint Doyle

Saint Doyle Crabman

Cheetarah looks like she's had some rough nights working down on at the docks lately. Are vampires that big right now that we have to have a goth Thundercat?

I like the new Snarf design. I never liked that character, and I remember reading somewhere on this forum that this new Snarf isn't going to speak in a language that the other Thundercats can understand. I'm excited to not have to hear his annoying prattle, or at least not having to process it.

8. RedRamage

RedRamage Berbill

I think (hope??) that the hands are a perspective issue. The hands are stretched out and closer to the camera, and therefore appear bigger when flattened into a 2D picture. This would also explain why the sword is so big that it looks like Lion-o is trying to compensate for a lack somewhere else... :eek:

On the plus side, I do like the hair better on the figure than we've seen in the pictures. There's more spikeiness on the sides to match what's on the top, which makes it look more Mane-like.

Here's an interesting thought though... the symbol is missing from Lion-o's belt. I know it was missing in all the pictures which led to the thinking that the cats would be questing for something that would allow it to be added in. But if that was the fact then I would expect to see the symbol on the figure. Perhaps the thundercat symbol only shows up when Lion-o calls them? Like when it used to "light up" in the RBTC series?

BTW... Cheetara's eyes in that figure make her look like a drugged out ex-rocker star. Sort like Courtney Love. Yuk.

9. Endorx

Endorx Rampager

im sure those figures are just protos. Well hopefully... Lol..

Bandai.... TBH I only like the sword that was out the packet..

Love the Thundertank, but obviously cant comment on the quality

Sort it out!!

10. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Berserker

I am almost certain that Lion-O is the 4" figure I saw in the exhibition.

Cheetara looks a bit different, so I assume that she really is the 8" deluxe version, but definitely not the classic.

Edit: Did anyone notice Thunder Tank's box art? What the hell is wrong with its proportions?! LOL

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  11. I really hope we don't get that noobish colored tank on display in the case and its colored like the box art. I hope that's just a prototype color and the real one is silver.

12. Joa-O

Joa-O Active Member

These figures look horrible, Cheetara is all kinds of wrong. No spots on a Cheetah? What is with those big discs on her wrists/ankles? Not very aerodynamic. It's not a photo proportion issue, the hands are all just huge.

They are all way too busy. Lion-O looks like every other anime "samurai inspired" type character (complete with over-sized asymmetrical shoulder guard). Hachiman is not going to be very unique. Snarf does look like a Pokemon.

I have been waiting for Thundercats toys for a long time, so I think I can be critical. I am hoping the collector's classic figures are decent.

13. Wouldn't be surprised if its the exact same buck w/ possible slight sculpting update depending on what he looks like in the new show.

14. Bengali

Bengali Rampager

The problem is not the figures, its Bandai. Thier figures have always looked so cheap to me. I mean these protos look like toys that come with Burger King kids meals.

15. TheFallen

TheFallen Berbill

I don't know if I personally like these figures but I am sure kids will love them. The play value certainly seems to be there

16. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Distributions wise? Probably better that its in Bandai's hands. But figure quality wise, it absolutely would have made more sense to grant it to Mattel*

(* - caveat is not having seen the TC Classics line yet).

17. TheFallen

TheFallen Berbill

I was a staunch supporter of Mattel Thundercats but I am now open to seeing the Bandai Classics and the 6inch versions of the new designs.

Yes, these 4inch versions are questionable but so were Hasbro's Marvel Universe when they were first released. As I said in my above post, these 4inch versions have so much play value with being compatible with the playsets and vehicles.

To be very honest, if Bandai release the classic 'cats in this 4inch scale with the same articulation I will be all over them. I think it is the shock of seeing the new designs and the new figures. When people get used to the new look I think they will be more accepting of these figures, myself included

18. Its not even the size that matters anymore. Yeah I think people cried foul originally, but I think its more so that, to paraphrase Bengali (using a different FF chain), these look like they came out of a Happy Meal!!

I think the Marvel Universe figs are great looking. These, look, like they were produced in someone's garage.

If the RBTCs were produced in the same scale with the level of detail and quality you find on the Marvel Universe figures, then I would be all over them as well. But these Bandai ones just look wretched.

19. Chromeagle

Chromeagle Barbarian

Looks like the hate for Snarf will carry over to the new line. I for one am digging the new Snarf which is more than I can say for the rest of the figures. Maybe seeing them in action on the new cartoon will sell me on them, but for now I think I will pass.

20. Mint Condition

Mint Condition Junior Member

Um...you realize these are prototypes right? They're hand painted prototypes, meaning the "paint peel" is because they're, as I said, prototypes.

The product sold in stores won't have that, and it could also explain the lack of spots on Cheetara. That I'm not sure of, but it does explain the paint peel on Lion-O.
    Merged Post:
    These look nothing like kid's meal toys. Kid's meal toys are nowhere near this complex and detailed.
    Merged Post:

I am really liking these figures. I can't wait to see what the 6 inch and 8 inch figures look like.

Also can't wait to see the rest of the 4 inch figures and see what Mumm-Ra looks like.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011