Collected Comics?

Discussion in 'Comics (1985-2018)' started by litefoot, Feb 13, 2017.

1. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Hi,

I'm in the UK and in the late 1980s I used to get the Thundercats comics delivered to me at home. I vaguely remember one of the stories involved Lion-O investigating a Dark Tower with Wilykit. Can anyone remember if these comics were UK comics only (I seem to remember that Transformers had a UK only comic) and if they were ever published at a later date into a collection? I would quite like to read these again!

2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

3. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

As adssse suggested, I think the book you are referring to is probably the comic adaptation of the cartoon episode "The Tower of Traps"

It was first printed in the U.S.A. in the U.S Star Comics Issue # 17, also titled "Tower of Traps.

It was then re-printed, with minor modifications, as two parts in the U.K. Star Comics Issues # 42 and 43.

As far as I know, these ThunderCats comics were never released again in a collected format.

Here is the cover of the U.S. version:
    [​IMG]

And these are the two (part 1 and 2) U.K. versions
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Yes gents, well done! Thank you. It was indeed 'Tower of Traps'. I remember the UK 'All Fall Down!' cover very clearly. Sadly they were all binned at the time (I was 10 years old at the time and too interested in Lego to worry about keeping comics).

Unfortunate that they haven't released a collection. I'd certainly buy them. Strange really, given how strong the nostalgia factor is these days. Marvel have released so much other stuff in collections. Perhaps it's a licensing issue?

5. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Thanks Wilycub! I'm not sure how I managed to include the wrong link

litefoot likes this.
  6. Wilycub

I'm glad we could help you identify the issue in question. :) As a kid I was crazy about LEGO myself. Still have a few of the sets in storage. Do you still have any of your old LEGO?
    Yes it is a shame that they didn't release a collected edition. I think licensing is probably the issue. Back then Marvel had the ThunderCats license but now it is is DC, which is part of Warner Brothers. Despite the considerable fan following, ThunderCats has often been ignored by its license holders, so it is unlikely we well ever get an official release. That is why most fans buy the original books from sites like EBay.
    Actually you are not wrong. The U.K. issues that I mentioned (#42 and #43) were reprinted along with other stories in issues #124 and #125, the link to which you posted. So technically, you are right! :)

adssse, litefoot and Mark M like this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Just to let you know in case you are interested all the US and UK Transformers comics have been collected and reprinted. Transformers did have a UK only comic but it was part of the US storyline with standalone and interlinking stories. The UK stories are definitely superior to the US stories. :D Simon Furman wrote the best Transformers stories and eventually took over writing the main US stories.
    I wish they would reprint Thundercats.

litefoot likes this.
  8. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

No, I sold it all about 15 years ago. It was mostly late 80s stuff - Castle, Fire Station, Airport, lots of Space and a few Technic. It was gathering dust in the attic until my mid 20s, when I noticed its popularity on ebay and decided to sell it off. Before I could do that, I rebuilt everything to make sure all the pieces were there, which was fun :) It sold quite well and I don't regret getting rid of it. It was just taking up too much room!

I might consider buying them if there weren't 127 issues! I'd be here forever. Much easier to wait and hope for one or two collections. Maybe one day Warners will wake up and start licencing stuff from their catalog.

I have the Furman collections Fallen Angel and Legacy of Unicron. This is because I'm a Doctor Who fan, and used to get Doctor Who magazine, which featured Death's Head in one issue. I loved the character, so it persuaded me to seek out more of his material, which lead me to those two books, and then on to Death's Head Vols. 1 and 2 many years later. I don't have any other Transformers stuff, though. How many UK Transformers collections are there, all told?

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Wilycub I know how much you like Lego so I thought I should mention I got 'Great Lego Sets: Visual History'' in The Works yesterday for £5. Very cool book. Seen a couple sets in it I have like The Black Monarch's Castle.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Lego...id=1487102695&sr=8-2&keywords=great+lego+sets
    I also seen a book that would interest you. It was a book all about the concept designs/sketches etc. for the different James Bond movies for £10.
    Well I cant put an exact number on that. Titan reprinted a lot of the US and UK stories and IDW have also reprinted a lot of them.
    Here is a link to all the Titan US and UK reprints. http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/titan/reprints/
    IDW have reprinted all of the US issues in 9 Classics Collections and have done 5 UK collections. Volume 6 is scheduled to be released month.
    Coincidently enough Fallen Angel was the first Transformers reprint I bout in 2004. If you get chance you should seek out some other Transformers UK stories like Target 2006.
    Did you see the Death's Head 3.75" Marvel Legends figure that was released in 2016. There is going to be a 6" scale Marvel Legends Death's Head II released this year.
    I would like to get some reprints of the 8th Doctor/Sylvester McCoy comics. Not a fan of Doctor Who as such but I did read one issue that was included in a comic with Action Force, Indiana Jones and The Incredible Hulk. I still have that comic. Those Doctor Who Classics figures are very cool. Do you collect them?

litefoot likes this.
  10. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Thanks. Just looking at the link now. Is there some sort of cohesive timeline between both? Did the US comics appear in the UK editions in those strange gaps listed for each UK collection?

I don't collect figures anymore, not since I was a child! Give me some new Death's Head comics though, and I'm there. The original that is, not Death's Head II. I was never taken with him. I was a bit crushed when Death's Head 1 bit the dust.

I have all the Panini collections. I can thoroughly recommend the McGann stuff, especially Oblivion.

Is the comic you're referring to, Party Animals? It's in the McCoy collection 'The Good Soldier' in B & W and also Death's Head Vol. 2 in colour.

Mark M likes this.
  11. Wilycub

Thanks, Mark! :thumbsup You always manage to discover some great books! I would love both of those books, no doubt. I still sometimes browse through the online gallery of old LEGO catalogs. :biggrin

I used to have a James Bond "Moonraker" book which showed the behind the scene photos, the sets and talked a little bit about the making of the movie as well as the actors. :)

Mark M likes this.
  12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I am not really a Bond fan but the book looks really interesting. Might get it eventually. I could pick up a copy of the Lego and Bond books for you if you want them.

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That's correct. The US comic appeared in the UK comic in the gaps.

The Dr Who comic was black and white but it was about an intergalactic space library and some monster on the loose. I will have to go through my collection and find it to find out the title this weekend.

litefoot likes this.
  14. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Yes, I know the one - 'Hunger From The Ends Of Time'. It's in the McCoy collection 'Nemesis of the Daleks'.

Mark M likes this.
  15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Awesome. Thank you. :biggrin I will keep a look out for that collection.

litefoot likes this.
  16. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Mark M likes this.
  17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

litefoot likes this.