Collecting & Merchandise Information

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by Lion-O-hearted, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Lion-O-hearted

Lion-O-hearted Junior Member

I wanted to start a thread for anyone who has questions about collecting or merchandise in general. Admittedly, I am kind of new to this area and I want to know if anybody can provide information about it.

2. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff

What questions do you have?
    Also you can click the tab above for collecting and drill down. Lots of info there about the toys and stuff.

3. Lion-O-hearted

Here are some of the questions I have:
    -If you wanted to begin a collection, how do you start?
    -What do you look for when considering purchasing an item?
    -How well is the return on investment?
    -Is it difficult to tell what is real and what is counterfeit?

4. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Are your questions about starting a ThunderCats collection or any toy collection in general?

5. ninja cat

-If you wanted to begin a collection, how do you start?
    My personal philosophy is try and get the most rare/expensive figures in the line first. They will only become more rare and more expensive. Look at a lot of ebay sold listings to get a good idea of actual sold prices, that gives you a good idea of actual value. I would also recommend joining a lot of toy groups on facebook. lots of good stuff usually on there.
    -What do you look for when considering purchasing an item?
    I generally only buy complete figures. sometimes trying to track down accessories after the fact can be difficult and make the the entire figure more expensive after the fact if you had just bought a complete one to begin with. Also, if you really have a few figures or none at all, buying a large collection up front can be very cost effective. But you have a large sum to spend rather then over time. Dont jump at the first hing you see. have patience and eventually what you want will come around.
    -How well is the return on investment?
    I dont ever think about return on invest. I am one that i never have plans to sell what I buy. but if thats important to you, you need to find the best deals, so in the future you have the most return on investment. And at that point, I might spend a bit more to get MIB figures versus loose.
    -Is it difficult to tell what is real and what is counterfeit?
    Not really, for Thundercats there really isnt counterfeit. Knock off do exist, but they usually come from different countries and the quality is extremely poor. I enjoy collecting knock offs. for best reference check the collecting tab above to understand what the official lines consist of.

Good luck!

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I agree with most of what Ninjacat said except for going after the rare/expensive figures first. When you are just starting I think you should just get the ones you really like the most and can afford.

7. ninja cat

yeah, thats just my personal preference. I remember when Driller sold for around $50-$75 on eBay. I waited figuring I could find a good deal later on....nope. :(

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I know what you mean. I never owned Driller. I only ever seen one in person on holiday in England but didn't get it, got a robot and a jigsaw instead. Figured I could get one again back home but I never seen one in the shops here in Ireland. I kept meaning to get a Driller when he was around £70 on eBay but I kept adding to the other toylines I was collecting instead.
    When I think about collecting any toyline I like to check the prices to make sure the must have characters I like the most are affordable and none are overly expensive compared tot he others. I keep thinking of trying to build my G1 transformers collection back but the prices on a lot of the ones I had, especially the European exclusives, are extremely expensive.

9. Roybot

Roybot New Member

Personally, I like to buy a lot of complete figures to jump start my collections. It's normally cheaper to buy a bunch at once than individually. But if you can't throw down a lot of cash up front, I would start with the ones I like the most. I never collect for investment. One of the reasons I have gravitated to Thundercats collecting lately (besides the fact that I loved the show) is that there's no counterfeits. Transformers have tons of knock-offs now. Gijoe has a lot of reproduction cards, etc.

10. Lion-O-hearted

It would not be just a ThunderCats collection, but ThunderCats items would be part of the collection.
    You said that knock-offs exist. Can you name a few examples? Also, who is specifically responsible for producing the knock-offs?

For all of the collectors that are out there: How did you get into collecting? And, what other franchises do you like?

11. ninja cat

Dont know who produces the knockoffs. most of the time they come from greece, argentina, mexico..and were produced in the 80's. There isnt any (or rather VERY few) 1:1 reproductions of the actual figures. the few that I have seen, its pretty easy to tell its a knock off. the paint is sloppy and and the mold has issues or its cast in a translucent plastic or something off the wall. There isn't anything that exists that tries to "trick" a collector. so not really any need to worry about buying a fake. Here are a few examples of some ko's that I have.
    [​IMG]

I kind of got into it by accident. a long time ago I never collected anythin, but when I was in the stores I always liked Mighty Muggs but never bought any. My wife got me one for my birthday and literally, i decided I needed to have them all....it was all down hill from there. The more I walked the toy isles the more I decided I needed. :)

My parents saved most of my childhood toys like GI Joe, Star Wars, Micro Machines, legos.....needless to say, for some reason I dont look at those like collectibles, just old toys. lol. I dont collect anything from those lines. I collect Thundercats, MOTUC, Voltron, Real Ghostbusters, Minimates, Mighty Muggs, Predator....to name a few. I need more space.

shortfuse, Mark M and Wilycub like this.
  12. Lion-O-hearted

Those look terrible. I cannot believe somebody thought they could pull those off as the real thing.

13. ninja cat

I dont think they ever thought they would be mistaken for "the real thing". Back in the day foreign toy companies were trying to make unlicensed toys. Not likely did they sell at a storefront, but probably a street vendor or small mom pop shop in high poverty areas. Even poor kids want to play with the popular stuff. I find them very interesting, thats why I like to collect them.

Wilycub likes this.
  14. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Like ninja cat said, the makers of these knock offs were not trying to pass them off as the real toys. These were mostly made in places where the original toys maybe weren't widely available, or maybe were more expensive than the average family could afford.

Don't be so quick to knock out the knock-offs! ;) I know a lot of them do look pretty bad, but some are quite decent, have a certain appeal, and are highly sought after by collectors. Some knock-offs, like the Jumbo Slithe or the Korean Lion-O are more expensive and harder to come by than the original LJN stuff. You will often find some knock-offs in the collections of almost all avid collectors. :)

15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Those are some cool knocks offs. I have never seen them before. :D
    I kept all my toys and looked after them. I never really gave up liking them or having an interest in them, the comics and cartoons etc. But I had to concentrate on school and college etc. During College I got a book about toys, Tomart's Action Figure Encyclopaedia of 1001 Collectible Action Figures, and it just really got me interested in getting a couple figures I always wanted for various toylines I loved. I started with Transformers, MOTU, Thundercats, Bravestarr, TMNT etc. Then I expanded into other toylines I liked like Ghostbusters, Gobots, G.I. Joe, Marvel, DC, D&D and various others. Before long I had a huge collection of well over 1000 figures. Due to other interests over the last several years I have sold off the vast majority. All I have now is my collections of Bravestarr, TMNT and just a handful of favourite childhood toys from different toylines.

Wilycub likes this.
  16. Lion-O-hearted

I believe both of you just taught me a few lessons here.

17. Lion-O-hearted

I have another question: What are some ways that collecting and merchandise can be improved upon?

18. ninja cat

Not sure exactly what you mean? from a collectors point of view or a manufacturers or toy makers point of view?

19. Lion-O-hearted

I'll rephrase the question: What are some of the biggest problems in collecting and merchandise and how do you believe those problems can be fixed? It can be from the viewpoint of the collector or of the manufacturer/toymaker.

20. ninja cat

These are very peculiar questions you're asking....however,

From my perspective (a collector), sometimes the problem is to much at once. For example Matty Collectors line of MOTUC was pretty hard (monetarily) to keep up with, then add Thundercats on top of other toys lines I collect. Spacing out releases is perfectly fine by me. If we only got like 6 Thundercats per year, but were basically guaranteed to get 3-4 years worth that would be perfectly fine by me, rather then trying to release 20 figures per year. There is just way to much stuff out there to collect now a days, from modern to vintage, its getting harder to pick and choose what to collect. It seems that no matter what stuff or crap companies produce, there is a market for it. Like Dorbz, Pops, ReAction....it seems any little vinyl version of a character will sell....good for a company, but it causes the consumer to make decisions on what to get.

I think that good communication between the consumer and the maker is always amazing. DST is excellent at listening to and interacting with its fan base. early on Matty did it, but then that guy left the company and basically any outside communication stopped. I think a company could do great things with community input, sure youre not going to make everyone happy, but I think its better then no communication. Especially for people who join message boards and who are vested in a product. I know a lot of people were update that had spent thousands on MOTUC and Thundercats, only to be (initially) shut out of getting SDCC exclusives. its like, give the people who are loyal the bonuses. not just to everyone.

One last thought, Blind bags. While I dont love them or dont hate them. The Loyal Subjects make a great product. but I think they are going to crazy with the variants. especially for a $14 blind box. I think the idea of bb's are fun, but personally, I'm not going to shell out tons of money to find a club 28 (only 28 of a character were made). and as a completist, its infuriating to know that I probably wont ever have to chase figures which I dont want to spend a lot for on ebay either. Just doesnt seem right to me.

Wilycub likes this.