Collection Intervention on SyFy

Discussion in 'Modern Collectables' started by mcss aerocoupe, Sep 5, 2012.

1. mcss aerocoupe

mcss aerocoupe Moderator

Watching the show Collection Intervention on SyFy. One of the two people on tonight's show (original or rerun, not sure which) has original and new ThunderCats.

Never expected to see someone with a ThunderCats collections on the show.

2. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

That's Seanxlong from youtube. He's a figure reviewer. Makes you know some of that stuff is fake cause Sean definately knows how much his stuff as work and his GF doesn't dislike his collection. lol

I tell you that woman who's hosting kinda made me sick though. She's supposed to be like "I know about collecting I'm one of you" but the look of derision when she explained ThunderCats was insulting to me.

3. mcss aerocoupe

mcss aerocoupe Moderator

Yeah, she was explaining ThunderCats with a "once upon a time" kind of attitude, while the collection in front of her has a Cat's Lair, Tower of Omens, HH Cheetara statue, Bandai Classics, Mezco giant Lion-O, and both ThunderTanks (LJN and Bandai).

This is only the second episode I have seen. But I am seeing a pattern in the four people/collections she has gotten into, 'if it is worth anything, sell it now!'

I also noticed the "expert" said the Cat's Lair was worth at least $500, then turned around and offered him $300 for it. Seriously? Who in their right mind, in the era of the Internet, voluntarily takes an offer that is about half of the value of something? But maybe the TV viewers were not supposed to notice that...

4. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

Well you offer low if you plan on selling it. Like a Pawn shop does. So I can see that.

What got me was that there were clearly figures from the new series on there (saw a good shot of the Thundertank) and NO mention of the new cartoon. No it's all just "nostalgia."

5. mcss aerocoupe

mcss aerocoupe Moderator

I fully understand the logic in offering a lower amount. But as a TV viewer, I get the impression that "this dude" is nuts for not taking $300 for that one item. Then I analyze the situation I see no fault on this guy even though the host is making him out to be a hardheaded person.

I noticed the new Turtle series figures in the background along with Wave 1 Classics Lion-O. So my gut tells me this episode was filmed well after the New Series started airing. I'm rather annoyed at the presentation of this show. I am no expert at collecting, but if I can call BS to the "expert's" knowledge of something she seems to be stating as fact, then what else about this show is not as it seems?

6. Mumm-Ra

Mumm-Ra Glass Walker

Spotted ThunderCats Minimates from this years SDCC. Probably shot late July early August!

7. Lord Slithor

Lord Slithor Mutant

Welcome to the world or Reality TV, in which everything is staged in spite of what they tell you.

Hell, it wouldn't even surprise me now if all of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo was written beforehand.