Competition comic advert thing. Question.

Discussion in 'Vintage Collectables' started by Minty, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Minty

Minty New Member

...and this is now the third attempt at posting this! Third and final. If it doesn't work this time I'm going to give up. I'm going to post it without the image links just in case that was the problem. It renders the question rather useless but... let's call it a test!

"I found this comic/advert (scans linked below with a bit of luck) between the pages of an old issue of the Eagle (a British comic) and I wondered if it actually came from there or it just managed to work its way in over the course of the last 20 years. The issue is dated 14th March 1987; issue number 260.

I think it probably did come from there - it was common for advertising rubbish to get included in comics and I usually kept that sort of thing (cos I'm a bit weird, I suppose). Also, the pages it's between features an advert for Thundercats crisps, so the two might be connected.

Any other folk from the UK who knows its origin for sure one way or the other? Or if there are any other episodes in the series of Thundercats advert comics (this one is 'number two').

Cheers,
    M
    "

Edit:
    Right, so that worked, now an attempt to add images:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about the technical problems you're experiencing posting on our forums - we've had to install some anti-spam software and so I'm wondering if there's a glitch in that that's causing your posts to become caught up in it? :confused:

My suggestion to you would be to PM either Manny or MannysCollectibles, who are in direct charge of the forum software and should hopefully be able to advise you further - if it's happening to you then it could be happening to other people, and I think it's something that needs to be looked into seriously and urgently. Again, my apologies on behalf of the ThunderCats Lair team that you're experiencing these problems. :(

Re: that comic, was it loose inside the issue of The Eagle or stapled inside? I wouldn't have said it belonged with any comic but rather was part of the Woolworths' Kids Club magazine (note that the competition on the last page is connected to Woolworths) - I've had scans of that comic strip for ages and ages that I've been meaning to get watermarked and put online at this site (the images were provided by my friend and fellow TCL team member Neil a.k.a. Blackiecats), but I've just never got round to it. :(

And yes, there is at least one more of those comic strips - I know, because I have it in my own collection! ;) The Woolworths Kids Club magazine later also featured a number of text-based ThunderCat stories. All of the ones I have are featured here: http://www.thundercatslair.org/comics/features/woolworths_feature.html , and that includes part one of the comic story you've scanned there! :)

Take care... :)

3. pedro

pedro Active Member

I agree with He-Fan i saw that comic on ebay a while ago, They are woolworths kids club magazines, i managed to get no.1 but was out bid for no.2.
    if your interested in selling it can you let me know?

Woolworths mag No.1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  4. Minty

Minty New Member

Hey, it worked. I thought it'd failed!
    Thanks for the info chaps. It was certainly a possibility that it came with the comic since it was very common for that sort of promotional material to be chucked into comics - and still is. But I'll assume that it didn't unless someone can say for sure to the contrary.

pedro, I don't think I'd want to get rid of it; at least not right now. You'd only have to get another one anyway if you're a collector cos the colour is a bit off on it. You can probably tell from the scans that the colour elements didn't print exactly on top of each other so it looks a bit blurry.