Complete Series DVD Set Announced

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Mercury Cougar, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Mercury Cougar

Mercury Cougar Junior Member

2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I'm happy to own the show on DVD as it was originally released, so I'm all good.

3. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

Unless they actually took the time to remaster anything as they should have done in the first place, this is pointless.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It would be nice if they put the un-edited original version of Exodus on it and had the episodes in better order. The Anointment Trials should not have been spread out and kept together like the other 5 parters. The Anointment Trial episodes were broadcast together here in the UK.

5. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

I hadn't realised that they hadn't released them as a full set in in NTSC land. It's been out for over 10 years in PAL format. The cover is better for that release too.

[​IMG]

Less than half the price of the new US set, you would think they would try to justify it with some new content. I bet not though.

6. Daremonger

The cover packaging for the upcoming complete NTSC set definitely consists of existing ThunderCats artwork by Pyramid International.

7. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

As does most new stuff, which is a shame. The old logo is much better, and though the art is good, it's not a true representation of the show. Had they done a reboot in this style though I wouldn't have complained.

Daremonger likes this.
  8. Wolf873

Wolf873 Glass Walker

If anyone is curious, here's my succinct review. It comes on 12 discs as opposed to the earlier sets, which likely means higher compression here. There are no enhancements or changes, pilot episode is same as always. This release repeats the error of Unholy Alliance missing music, which is a shocker. Menus is pathetically basic, earlier DVDs at least had an animated/music background, this one has a small image of previous DVD box-art for respective seasons. All extras from previous release are here, which makes me wonder why didn't they reproduce the old DVDs with the same old menu and missing music intact. Guess WB doesn't really care about Thundercats much at all other than to milk it for whatever it's worth. All in all it's worth it if you don't already own a set, plus it's much cheaper than going the route of original release.

*Edit: I mistakenly said it had same number of discs as previous release but it does not, in which case I would add if compression level worries you, you're better off hunting down the original set.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  9. Daremonger

WB milks other franchises they own besides ThunderCats, but I understand what you mean about them not caring about the show's overall legacy.

Wolf873 likes this.
  10. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

Sounds like more disappointment from WB.