Completing the Mattel line ourselves

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

Just yesterday I chatted to one of my TC friends about customizing some figures to complete the line up. And yes, those would be:
    1. Cheetara
    2. Tygra
    3. Jaga
    4. Lynx-O
    5. Bengali
    6. Grune
    7. Mumm-Ra
    8. Slithe
    9. Monkian
    10. Vultureman
    11. Snarf
    12. Mamutt
    I know some might think that Bengali and Lynx-O aren't needed, but heck, we got Pumyra and I really badly want those two too. Then I read someone said that instead of just campaigning, why not also try our hands at it ourselves. I've seen some superb customs out there (yes Booshman, I'm talking to you!) and I think that for those of us who would like to have figures in the same style as the Mattel line (obviously as that is what we want to complete), why not get a kickstarter started and jump through all the loopholes when it comes to copyright etc as we don't want to upset the powers that be. I personally wouldn't mind not having them come in packaging, but then again, I can very quickly design packaging for the new figures in the same style as what we currently have. I just wouldn't use that dreadful image of Cheetara that's used on the Mezco packaging. I'm almost sure that they would've used it had S7 continued.
    There really are endless possibilities of creating these figures from current MOTUC figures. Cheetara can be made up of Adora's buck. Rip off those dreadful granny panties and red top, replace that with the space suit of captain Glenn (albeit with the shoulders sanded off and the belt sanded down), replace her right arm with Pumyra's right arm, and sand away some of Adora's hair and restyling it to look like Cheetara's. Her boots just need some slits in them, her arms would need those sleeves added to them and whallah, you almost have a Cheetara. And that's all before you paint her!
    I will gladly give my time to get this up and running with folk who may be interested. For those of you who want to complete the line and will not sit back and wait, make your voice heard here. Heck, we could even get in touch with the 4H and discuss a possible way forward. I think the only character that would be very difficult would be Slithe, but then again, I just last night saw one of the Mythic Legion Trolls - that green one looks JUST like Slithe body and paint wise. It's just that cloth dress and the head that needs replacing. Oh and he is a tad big.... Such a shame as he would've been perfect had he been smaller.
    Come what may, I'm going to complete my line up. For those who want to get on the bandwagon, join forces.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

This is a nice thought @Sebastiaan but it's not going to happen. I am saying this not out of my dislike for the MOTUC buck body but from a legal stand point.
    Customizing for a collectors private collection is one thing. But in terms of reproducing the figures for other collectors to complete their collections Mattel would have a problem with that since they own the MOTUC buck body design etc. For people to be selling their design would probably result in them taking legal action.

Selling parts that are compatible with the body is one thing as legally there is nothing wrong with making compatible parts for toys.
    Sadly due to the Thundercats designs making add on parts isn't an available option.

Their are loads of Transformers 3rd Party toys and add on parts but, regardless of names and faction symbols etc, they aren't doing anything legally wrong. All their designs are 100% original and are not based off/replicating any designs owned by Hasbro/Takara Tomy.

IF someone was going to start producing 3rd Party Thundercats figures they would need to design and make their own buck body to avoid any legal trouble.

3. Serval

Serval Crabman

The Fwoosh has pictures of Cheetara based on the Adora's buck. The lower body is too wide and high-waisted for Cheetara.

Are there any 3D Printer Pros on this forum? Tygra and Cheetara can be 3D printed, and then commissioned off for painting. Once a Tygra buck has been produced, some custom modifications (and commission paint work) would allow for Bengali. Lynx-O could be based on custom modding the existing Mattel Panthro.

Snarf and Ma-Mutt are relatively easier to 3D print because of limited moving parts.

Vulture man can be custom modded from 4H Mythic Legion action line of figures.

4. Sebastiaan

I hear what you're saying Mark. There's clearly much more that I don't know about. And it sounds right that one can't use their buck and resell it. I guess we'd all perhaps then have to get together and build a recipe on what to use. I hear that the Adora buck is too wide @Serval, I've seen that custom and she looked a bit odd too to me. Perhaps somebody like Frosta or even Scorpia has a better build to suit Cheetara. Who knows, I've got quite a lot of POP figures so I can compare and see what would work. The more people discuss this, I think the better it would be for those who want to customize.
    But yes, perhaps the 3d printing option may be a better bet. I really would still love to have Bengali and Lynx-O created too as opposed to customizing from Tygra and Panthro.

Mark M likes this.
  5. The All American

The All American Junior Member

Selling characters you don't have a license to make outside a one of a kind custom is a dangerous territory. Just this past month Hasbro sent a cease and desist on a Cobra Sentinel Kickstarter campaign that was to make a robotic monster snake from one of the early specials: http://news.hisstank.com/2017/05/09...o-62518?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter and https://www.kickstarter.com/dmca/cobra-sentinel-automaton-submitted-by-hasbro-inc

3D printing may be an option but I think we're a few years from that being efficient and of good quality.

Another idea is making everyone a customizer's online guide on how to make their own Cheetara, Tygra, etc.... off existing MOTUC parts. But that won't work for all of us because we may not be talented or patient enough to pull it off.

I don't know much about 3rd party Transformers, but they might be able to be made easier without legal ramifications because Japanese companies like Takara are the original creators. Hasbro originally got the license to re-use the molds and made their own mythos. American properties like G.I.JOE, Star Wars, Masters of the Universe, and ThunderCats are probably easier to control the license.

For me personally, I don't want a knockoff. I think we just need to keep at WB for the time being about granting the license to Super7 or the Four Horsemen.

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The thing with third party Transformers is they have a close enough resemblance that you can guess who the character is supposed to be/based on without calling them by name but most importantly the designs are created and based on those of the people making them not replicating an exact look owned by Hasbro or Takara.

The All American likes this.
  7. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Would you care to send the link for the Adora buck-based Cheetara?

8. Serval

Serval Crabman

If you type in Adora MOTUC into Google images and then you scroll down...you should find it. Once you click on the image, also click on the prompt for related images. I can post the link (found on the Fwoosh website), but it does't really load up...at least, not on my Safari browser:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...183258550386_567270385_12238294_7817154_n.jpg

9. Sebastiaan

Here is the photo of that Adora that I shared a while back in another thread. The more I look at it today, the more I see where it can be improved to look more like Cheetara. The first thing I would do is change the hair (take away those bits falling into her face as her hair is more flowing backwards than in her face), change the costume with my proposal above to remove the granny panties effect) and then most importantly - paint her eyes they way that Pumyra's and the rest of the gang's are. That will immediately bring out her features more I think.
    [​IMG]

Daremonger and TCatsfan like this.
  10. Sebastiaan

Another awesome custom already out there is this of Vultureman and Monkian. I think with all the new bits out there one can easily improve on this too, but these are really superb.
    [​IMG]

shortfuse, Daremonger and TCatsfan like this.
  11. TCatsfan

TCatsfan Glass Walker

That Cheetara looks really good. The waist is a bit wide. I agree with you Sebastiaan about the hair. But ill still take something like that.

That monkian and vultureman looks amazing.

Wish i was gifted with making customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sebastiaan likes this.
  12. Sebastiaan

Here's just a mock up of how to improve on that Cheetara. The eyes and mouth I actually copied directly from the cartoon. The crotch piece was just moved up a tad to look better and the hair and neck adjusted slightly. Looks much more like her right? So its purely cosmetics that will get her over the finish line.
    [​IMG]

Daremonger likes this.
  13. Sebastiaan

Mark M likes this.
  14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I dislike that method of the crotch pieces. I understand them doing it for the loin cloth wearing MOTU figures but for characters wearing normal cants why can't the crotch piece just be sculpted like other figures like Marvel Legends, WWE etc..

15. Daremonger

Cool!

16. Daremonger

Indeed it does. :)

17. Serval

Serval Crabman

shortfuse and Sebastiaan like this.
  18. Sebastiaan

Yea that's really a great example of the perfect Cheetara. If they could have done that in the MOTUC scale that would've been fantastic! That really is the best Cheetara on the market today.

For those who haven't seen it yet, there already is a Mumm-Ra "custom" from someone who worked with the 4H on MOTUC and other projects. Check out this fantastic Mumm-Ra the ever living and then also view the video to see his own creations aka "new ThunderCats". Man its so sad that this Mumm-Ra never came out.

[​IMG]
    He also made custom Tigersharks which are fantastic.

Daremonger and shortfuse like this.
  19. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Nice use of the Icon Heroes Mumm-Ra there. Looks like he used the head, hands, tunic, boots and feet. Any idea of the donor body?

Daremonger likes this.
  20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Looks to just be the MOTUC body but the ab section has been re-sculpted and made longer and wider.

Daremonger and Wilycub like this.