Completing the Mattel line ourselves

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

We sure do. :)

Sebastiaan likes this.
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I am not really sure where to post this. I read a rumour that Mezco's SDCC display will be very ''catty themed''. Again this is only a rumour but it would be cool if they were doing some 6" scale figures.

Sebastiaan and adssse like this.
  3. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

Man that would be awesome news. I really hope that they do the 6" scale figures and NOT the 1:12 - although they are awesome, they are hellishly expensive and I doubt it would sell well if they wanted to do the entire team. It might take ages for them to come out. But the 6" lot is reasonably priced and they just released/ announced a different line's 3pack the other day and that was superb. Here's hoping this is our chance to complete the line. Or start again lol. At least with Cheetara and Tygra and Mumm-Ra.

Mark M likes this.
  4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Remember t is just a rumour but yeah it would be awesome for regular 6" figures.
    I do like their 1:12 figures but they are a bit expensive...but considering the packaging, clothes and numerous accessories I guess the price can be justified.
    The regular 6" Mortal Kombat figures were really cool.
    If they do regular 6" figures at least they can make better versions of characters like Lion-O, Pumyra and Jackalman.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  5. Sebastiaan

I understand why they cost so much. They really are unique. But I doubt we'd get beyond Lion-O and Mumm-Ra in the 1:12 range. I really won't mind if those two are made in that style, but as long as they also do the 6" line like their Mortal Kombat figures. Since it sounds like their theme would be "catty", I think that they might offer a variety of TC in different scales. Since they already do the mega scale, and rumour a few years ago were that they're looking into 1:12 as well, you never know if they'd do the 6" too. Their sculpts are fab, just not that horrible Lion-O head. That's not near cartoon correct. Mattel's Lion-O was superb, and although Pumyra and Jackalman were on the tall side, they're still awesome to me and correct representations look wise (perhaps not scale wise 100%). Well it's preview night tomorrow night, so who knows? We might be very surprised by what comes. That may also be why S7 never got the license.

Mark M likes this.
  6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Jackalman was far too bulky. I will have to disagree with you about Lion-O. The only things I liked about Mattel's Lion-O was the head sculpt and the colours used on the figure...that's about it lol. The articulation wasn't very good, the look of the body was awful and the accessories were very bland and the furry clawshield design was terrible. As an artist that speialises in portraits and life/figure drawing the most important lesson I learned is that when one part a drawing/design is off it destroys the overall look of the entire piece. If the design is wrong no amount of detail will improve it. To me it's like putting a Spider-Man head on the MOTUC body. It just would't look right for him to be bulkier and towering over other chacters like Captain America etc. That is why I have always said that the MOTUC body would not work correctly for Thundercats. If Mezco or any other company makes new Thundercats the need to be cartoon accurate and in scale.

7. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

So did the license simply to go someone else? It didn't seem like that was likely based on S7's phrasing in the announcement, but it would be a great surprise. Does 4H have any history of working with MEZCO?

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

S7/Brian also said that perhaps WB had something else lined up for Thundercats.
    If you listen to how he phrased it in the video.
    He mentions getting messages from WB then jump cuts to saying WB said ''We can no longer give you the licence''.
    That's not exactly giving the full run down of their negotiations.
    Perhaps after the MOTUC Ultimate sales made S7 change their mind about how much they wanted to invest in the licence.
    Maybe Mezco or another company made a bigger bid for the licence to make 6/7" scale figures.

I don't believe 4H have had any involvement with Mezco. I know a while back in 2008 4H did some sculpting for NECA.
    Mezco have their own team of sculptors so I doubt 4H would have any involvement.
    Thankfully even if they were involved on a 6" line they would not be like the Mattel figures as Mattel own that design.
    It would be interesting to see them do accurate sculpts not confined to the MOTUC buck bodies.

Remember this is a big IF as it's only a rumour I read on The Fwoosh forum.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Mezco showcased a Catwoman in their One:12 line. Tht's probably what the catty theme/reveal was.
    There is still a few days of SDCC so maybe they will announce something later regarding Thundercats. If they don't have any new Mega Scale figures on show it would be safe to assume that line is also finished.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  10. Sebastiaan

Yea I also saw their blog yesterday about Cat Woman being released. It may be that. Who knows? We'll have to give it until SDCC ends to really know if they have anything else planned.

11. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

Another letdown. Let's hope someone in China is wanting to take advantage of this vacuum.

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Well at least there is loads of other cool stuff on show at SDCC. :D

13. Brutikong

Brutikong Active Member

I'll do it for free

ThunDerianRoyalGuard and adssse like this.
  14. DJScorpio

DJScorpio New Member

It is a pity that Mattel did not bring out more Thundercats. Cheetara is sorely missed in my display. At least the Bandai Tygra makes up for the lack of Mattel Tigra. Vultureman, Slithe, Monkian and Mumm-Ra the Everliving are also missed. Guess Snarf and Ma-Mutt should also have been made.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  15. Sebastiaan

I'm staying positive that Super7 will announce something this year. With so many other brands releasing (or planning to release) TC related products, 2018 seems to be the year of the cat!!!

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.
  16. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

I hope something 3rd party comes along out of China. What are we waiting for, more disappointment? We have been waiting forever. It's not that complicated. I have zero faith in WB. I'll be happy to be proven wrong about that, but their record speaks for itself.

17. Marcos Jose Viana

Marcos Jose Viana New Member

A few months ago there was information that Warner would have contacted Super7 about a possible deal. Even Brian Flynn said he did not want to generate much expectation by claiming only 1% chance of getting the license. Any news on this? Has the meeting taken place or has it been announced?

18. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Nice one man!

19. Serval

Serval Crabman

I think Joe Amaro is working on a Snarf or Snarfer.

20. Sebastiaan

That would be so cool! Where did you hear / see that? I can't find anything on his Instagram or FB page.