Continuity Errors within episodes

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Wilycub, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

My feelings are the same as you guys. If we look at the timeline:
    • Jaga banished Grune
    • Grune ended up on Third Earth after travelling many years in space
    • Grune wreaked havoc on Third Earth
    • Grune was killed/imprisoned
    • Many centuries later, Grune's ghost was released
    X years after banishing Grune, the ThunderCats fled the destruction of Thundera. It took Y years for them to reach Third Earth. Soon after arriving, they encounter Grune's ghost.

As Booshman said, Jaga piloted the ship almost the entire journey. If we assume that Jaga was maybe 70 years old when they started the trip, we could say that the trip was about 20 or 30 years long. So it doesn't coincide with Grune being dead for centuries as X + Y is unlikely to be equal to many centuries.

The only way that Grune being dead for centuries would not be a continuity error is if the ThunderCats' have very long lifespans. Maybe they live for thousands of our years. Which reminds me of a line of dialogue that Loki says to Odin in "Thor The Dark World". :)

Tygra_Rules and Mark M like this.
  2. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

There is one way I could see it working. If you go with Superman the Movie logic, where different galaxies have their own rules for space and time. "Each of the six galaxies which you will pass though, contain their own individual law, space and time". When Clark meets Jor-El in the fortress and he says "By now you will have reached your 18th year, as it is measured on Earth. By that reckoning I will have been dead for many thousands of your years". Similar sort of situation if the Thundercats stand in for Superman, and Grune for Jor-El.

3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Ten Galacto Years could just refer to the quantity of ageing that took place. Jaga says Lion-O was only 12 when Thundera exploded, and 22 is a fair estimate of the adult Lion-O's age.

It's still vague though.

4. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Thats a good point, though if they were to only age 10 years (or less if you believe Lion-O's capsule malfunctioned), there should have been no reason Jaga couldn't have survived the trip in suspension.

5. Wilycub

A very good point! I suppose perhaps it would have been better if the plot said that only 7 Suspension Capsules remained (the others destroyed in the Mutant raid).

6. LiamABC

However you look at it, there's still going to be a hole in the plot. You could fill it in, but that will just leave another hole elsewhere. Filling that in will empty a third hole and so on.

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Speaking of capsules. The Thundercats left Thundera in a starship with rockets etc. to travel a vast distance. Grune was just cast a drift in space in a capsule with no flight capabilities. Surely it would have taken Grune even longer to reach third earth just drifting in space.

Wilycub likes this.
  8. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

Just watched "Dimension Doom". When Wizz-Ra releases the Thundercats from the helmet's spell, there is a lot of indistinct chatter from them. HOWEVER, you can clearly hear Snarf say, "I must have been asleep!" but Snarf was never under the spell. My guess is that they must have had a stock vocal track for "Thundercats coming out of spell" or something and used it, despite the error it creates.

9. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

BUT (and this is my perception only) when Jaga told Lion-O Grune's story, that they were friends years ago and all that, and the images were shown, Jage looked much yoounger than the Exodus version, but Grune looked exactly as his ghost in Third Earth. It'd mean that Grune was friends with Jaga a long time ago and then was banned and died shortly after, but Jaga had a long life after that. So I guess TCs did have a long lifespan.

LiamABC likes this.
  10. Wilycub

He actually looked kind of same to me in both those episodes. Maybe you are referring to "ThunderCubs Part I" where we see a young and beard-less Jaga. :)

11. Tygra_Rules

Might be :)

12. LiamABC

I think Wilycub is right here about the Jaga flashbacks. Remember too that we don't actually have any knowledge about a typical Thundercat lifespan - and whether some branches/clans/whatever age differently. We make guesses based on how old we think they'd be if they were earthlings, but that's all we can do.

Wilycub likes this.
  13. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

Thundercats Ho!

Snarf remembering being abducted by Ratar-O when it was in fact Snarfer

Slithe allowing his subordinate Jackalman to tell him to ride on his back on the Nosediver when Slithe usually rides on Nosediver

The Fist Pounder continuing to pound In Hook Mountain after already causing one avalanche

The Thundranium only affected the Thunderians when air vents were opened on the Vertas, therefore the Feliner could have been used to easily navigate to Fire Rock Mountain

How would the Berzerkers know the Thunderians were being taken to FRM, nobody told them. Unless Mumm-Ra mentioned it when he paid them off screen

Why does Mumm-Ra send Ma-Mutt to breathe his image to talk to the Berzerkers, why not go himself.

Why doesn’t Mumm-Ra deduct from Hammerhands share the cost of the cloning machine he smashed

Why is Snarf relieved to see Kit and Kat turn up to face the Berzerkers, they have got zero chance against them

Why did the Tuska’s open fire on the Ratstar first? They’re a peaceful people and Ratar-O was just passing through

Why show Lion-o to be aware of Thundera’s doom pre explosion, a direct contradiction to scenes in Exodus where he is awakened clueless

The Berbils have to find other planets to live on because theirs is a small planet? Give over

The berbils with a small amount of fuel make it to third earth when it took the Thundercat Flagship 10 galacto years and suspension to get there

Why didn’t Mumm-Ra send Hachiman back to his own dimension when he was about to save Lion-o

Can Mumm-Ra see Jaga? Can Jaga talk to Mumm-Ra?

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Tygra_Rules and LiamABC like this.
  14. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

There's the "Time Capsule" episode also where it was implied that Lion-O didn't know about Thundera when the ThunderCats arrived on Third Earth. That certainly seems strange to me, as even before his suspension capsule malfunction, Lion-O had to have been completely schooled about Thundera's way of life.

Tygra_Rules and ButterflyBoy like this.
  15. ButterflyBoy

Cool points. I don't have something to say about all of them, but I respond to some of them below :)

Snarf and Rataro's exchange about him being his prisoner again always bugged me. Either everyone (writers, voice actors, directors) forgot it was actually Snarfer or figured kids wouldn't notice. But really, if you're going to try and give a nod to continuity...ya gotta do it accurately.

To be fair, at the moment of the avalanche Monkian did stop pounding. Sure, he goes about it again later, but dumb brute force over common sense is sorta Monkian's gig.

With the character of Ma-Mutt, I notice he does a lot of superfluous stuff that Mumm-Ra would have done easily in the first season. I feel like in the first season, Mumm-Ra would have just done a little begging to the ASOE to show him the location of the Thunderians on Third Earth and BAM it woulda shown up in his cauldron. But they had to find a way to make his character necessary to sell the toy, I guess.

Regarding Kit and Kat versus the Berserkers...they DID end up victorious didn't they? I guess they had a little help from the wayward Fist Pounder. They were giving them a good run for their money, though.

Haha, I never thought about how the Tuskas fired on the Ratstar first! Makes me rethink that whole episode with the Technopede. Maybe the Technopede was just there to sell them time-shares or something until they started firing on it?

I know it is flimsy and thin logic, but maybe Lion-O somehow didn't totally understand just how bad the situation on Thundera was? I mean, massively destructive earthquakes and such are one thing, but you're whole planet just totally blowing up is another. Still, you're right, in "Exodus" Lion-O does behave as though he has no clue Thundera was in any jeopardy.

The Berbil ship's journey to Third Earth isn't shown in great detail. It is possible they had either something like the suspension capsules, or that their ship is simply much faster than the Thundercat Flagship in "Exodus". Keep in mind that the only reason the Thundercats had to use the suspension capsules was because of damage done to the ship's navigation system. Granted, this would mean that they were all stuck on that island for quite awhile. It is such an odd conceit that a ship has enough fuel to span galaxies but runs out just as they get to Third Earth and they land in the middle of an ocean because of it. Oh well.

I think based on "Thundercats Ho!" as well as the later episode "Malcar" that Mumm-Ra can indeed see Jaga. In "Catfight" he's able to even impersonate him, blue glow and all.

Tygra_Rules and Wilycub like this.
  16. ButterflyBoy

While on the subject of continuity errors within episodes, has it been mentioned yet that the Thundercats never achieve their goal of rescuing the slaves in "Mumm-Ra Lives!" Part V? I know technically it is not an error, because its not like they later claim that they DID free them. But I think we're still led to believe that it "all worked out well." Its definitely an error from a basic story-structure standpoint.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  17. LiamABC

It's probably a detail the writers forgot to mention. It happens a lot.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  18. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

That bit from part 5 of "Mumm-Ra Lives!" about rescuing the Lunataks' slaves did make my skin crawl a little. While the Lunataks were busy fighting each other, the ThunderCats should've used that moment to free the prisoners.

19. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

Personally I thought that kit and Kat were dead in the water so to speak until the fistpounder saved them

20. Tygra_Rules

Also, if that was true, how could Lion-O be so homesick about Thundera like he was by the third and fourth seasons? That was so wrong... Lion-O left Thundera when he was like 8; let's say he had memories of it when he turned 3, so he had what, 6 years of memories? The other TCs were full grow-ups when they left, leaving a whole life behind, maybe even familiy and friends, and didn't seem so deseprate to get back. And yet they decided to leave two of them in Third Earth.