Continuity Order for Season 2 (Episodes 66-90)

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Ocean Doot, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Ocean Doot

Ocean Doot Active Member

Right on. The Lunataks devolved far too quickly, but when first introduced, they were a refreshing change from the Mutants (who had also devolved).

In addition to the design and characterizations (both of which I agree with you about), I really loved the voice acting on them. TugMug was maybe a bit too ... un-PC, perhaps? ... but Lypton's Luna and Hyman's Red Eye were both pretty radical and different from anything they'd done on Season One. Raphael's Chilla was excellent, and Doug Preis as Alluro still floors me (Pattenred after James Mason a little bit, apparently? Lynne Lypton implies as much in her interview on this site).

Mark M likes this.
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

And the Lunataks could've had more vehicles other than the Ice Runner and the Lunatakker.

3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

The voice of Tug-Mug was the exact same voice as Ratar-O.

Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

A lot of the voices sounded similar. ;)

Daremonger likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I found Luna's voice quite irritating.

Daremonger likes this.
  6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Like Liam said here in the UK we just didn't get anything after Thundercats Ho The Movie. Me and Liam have discussed the Lunataks quite a bit.
    Maybe if we had seen them at a younger age maybe our feelings would be a little different and maybe have some fondness for them. With the exception of Chilla who I thought was a pretty cool (pun kind of intended) character and well designed I thought all of the other were really boring and annoying.

Daremonger likes this.
  7. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

I sincerely think you guys (Mark and Liam) didn't miss that much. The series went downhill after season 1, IMO.

Daremonger likes this.
  8. LiamABC

That was my feeling too, when I saw my best friend's DVDs of the later series. I didn't like the Lunataks right from the start, so that messed up season 2. Season 3, the way New Thundera suddenly re-formed, very dodgy, and then all those refugees in season 4, who had been killed way back in the very first episode! There's just too much in the later series for me to shake my head and point the finger at. Still, I shall give it my best shot when it comes to continuity. I plan to refamiliarise myself with the later series soon.

And I'll bet we finish seasons 2-4 continuity orders before we finish season 1!

Daremonger likes this.
  9. Daremonger

Go for it, you guys! :wilykit

10. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Sadly, I agree. It just lost its charm. Most of the stories were either too rushed, repetitive, or just plain ridiculous! I think (and this is my personal opinion) if Leonard Starr had continued to pen stories in the 2nd,3rd and 4th season, that might have made a difference, perhaps. His season 1 episodes are among, if not, the best episodes in the series.

adssse, Mcaseres, Daremonger and 2 others like this.
  11. LiamABC

Agreed on Leonard Starr - his contribution to the show was by far the most important of anybody's.

But we are straying from the topic here - we are trying to establish a continuity order for the later series!

Daremonger likes this.
  12. Ocean Doot

Ocean Doot Active Member

Yes, same vocal quality ... but unlike Rataro, Tug Mug had a caricature-ish Mexican accent which feels a little ... tactless, when I watch the show now.

Daremonger likes this.
  13. Ocean Doot

Ocean Doot Active Member

I agree. Of course, Leonard Starr wrote the five-parter which introduced the Lunatacs, so ...

... ergo, the Lunatacs are awesome. Quod erat demonstratum. :)

Mark M and Daremonger like this.
  14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I will get my DVDs out and see if I can help with the continuity order.
    Starr's episodes were some of my absolute favourites.
    It's hard to explain but as Liam said I think the reforming of Thundera was really pushing it and a bad idea. Then the addition of the Treasure of Thundera. If it was so precious why did they not have it with them on the Flagship when they left Thundera. Wilycub you are completely right in that it seemed to lose a lot of its charm. There are still a few episodes from season two I loved but nowhere near as much as the first season. It is such a shame as the Thundercats Ho movie/episodes were a terrific start for the new season. It kind of reminds me of how the quality on Transformers went downhill following the movie...not so much the writing but the animation.

LiamABC and Daremonger like this.
  15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I have really fond memories of seeing the Thundercats Ho movie on VHS when I rented it from the shop and my Dad copied it onto a VHS for me. It was great finally seeing the characters that were on the back of the cards that hadn't been in the show.
    What you said reminds me though. Over here they aired the first five parts of The New Adventures of He-Man as a movie on ITV that I recorded and I have such fond memories of it even though the show wasn't that good overall.

Daremonger likes this.
  16. LiamABC

That implies that he has never had a bad day creatively! Even the best creative talents churn out the odd howler now and then!

Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I wonder if Starr created these character or if he was told to include them. I could be wrong but I think I recall readingthat he didn't want brining Mumm-Ra back after his defeat in Thundercats Ho so he pretty much wasn't caring or putting the same energy into his final episodes for Mumm-Ra Lives.

Daremonger likes this.
  18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

As Liam said, all creative geniuses can have an off day. George Lucas wrote Star Wars: A new Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Yet he Also wrote Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.
    As much as I am not a fan of the Lunataks at least Thundercats never went that bad LOL.

Daremonger likes this.
  19. Daremonger

Leonard Starr certainly helped bring ThunderCats to life. "Exodus" is my favorite episode from him because it was the series pilot, which was later split into two parts.

Mark M likes this.
  20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think it was his lack of involvement that caused the series quality to lower.

Daremonger likes this.