Continuity Order for Season 2 (Episodes 66-90)

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Ocean Doot, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Still, ThunderCats was too addictive to not watch. :mummra

ButterflyBoy likes this.
  2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I certainly agree that Starr had an amazing impact on the show and that his episodes were among the best!

Daremonger likes this.
  3. Daremonger

In David Chrichton's Hear the Roar!, Starr revealed that if he got a "Developed by" credit instead of the "Head Writer" one, he'd have gotten a bigger piece o' the pie. But Rankin/Bass wouldn't allow that.

4. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Yes, I recall a couple different sources/interviews where things did not end well between Jules and himself. Its a shame as he is such a huge part of Thundercats.

Daremonger likes this.
  5. Daremonger

The legacy he left behind will remain on this First Earth forever. :)

6. Ocean Doot

Ocean Doot Active Member

I guess it sort of implies that ... if the Smiley that I put on the end didn't imply that it was a tongue-in-cheek comment. Certainly Starr's scripts were not perfect. I don't think anyone here would argue that. As I've seen pointed out elsewhere on this very forum, there are a thousand plot holes in Starr's pilot, for example. And a few in "Thundercats Ho!" And even in the Lunatac five-parter, though it hurts to admit it. :)

Bottom line: You all would love the Lunatacs if you'd met them when you were ten. FACT :)

Daremonger likes this.
  7. Ocean Doot

Ocean Doot Active Member

I'd be curious to read that article/iterview, or wherever that was sourced from. I would certainly agree that the endless "Let's end this season/five-parter/episode by killing Mumm-Ra" riffs were made increasingly ridiculous, as they kept bringing him back (in the very next episode, no less!). Even his death in the last episode was undone by the WildStorm comics (which was one of the things I found disappointing about those comics).

Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It was in 'Hear The Roar'. Starr states he had a story about the death of Mumm-Ra and Jules Bass was against it and said they couldn't lose Mumm-Ra. And Starr says so he has to be able to keep coming back like Dracula and Frankenstein etc. They did not state if they could not lose Mumm-Ra due to obligations with the LJN toys.
    Personally in comics what really annoys me is all these big character deaths only for them to come back in some unorthodox way.

Daremonger likes this.
  9. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

I agree. I mean, I understand why the WildStorm comics brought him back - they were attempting to cash in on nostalgia and you can't have Thundercats without Mumm-Ra. At the very least though they had the ASOE attempt something else by sending the Shadowmaster first. I would accept Mumm-Ra's multiple resurrections if at least there was something he had to do to be resurrected, or some other story at least other than "Please bring me back Ancient Spirits of Evil" - "Well, we just banished you forever, but you asked nicely, so OK." I mean...why kill him off so many times if you were just going to resurrect him? The only justification I can think of that by killing him off in "The Last Day" they were really just coming up with an excuse to move him to New Thundera...except they'd already done that without killing him off.

Daremonger and LiamABC like this.
  10. ButterflyBoy

As for the show's overall decline, I agree that the show lost some of its luster as the show went on. I remember reading an interview somewhere with Peter Lawrence where he remarked that the second batch of episodes was all done after the entire writing staff had written all of Silverhawks and that they were all feeling fatigued.

I felt like there were some improvements, however - for example, in addition to just the five part episodes, I felt like many of the episodes had a more shared continuity than before. This is especially true following "Thundercubs" until the finale. By this I mean they seemed to keep a closer eye on continuity and had episodes that would directly or indirectly reference the episodes before it. This occurred sometimes in season one, but not as often and it was something I enjoyed. And when they did attempt continuity in season one, it often led to confusion (as the season one version of this thread proves).

The animation had its losses and gains. Overall, the animation became more consistent (again, especially starting with "Thundercubs"), but at the same time it seemed to become more...static. I'm not sure how to explain it, but when comparing the animation from the later seasons to that of season one...its like the characters don't really move as much and the "action" seemed less dynamic. Ya'll get what I'm sayin'?
    Their biggest failing, in my opinion, was trying to add more humor to the show. The show is not a comedy. But still they gave Mumm-Ra a dog that he comes up with new pet names for every week, and overall Mumm-Ra becoming much more of a jokester than he should ever be. On top of that, as has been said, all the other villains became jokes as well. To me, that was really the only times I felt like the writers really messed up.

I'm a huge, HUGE fan of the Thundercats. I adore even their worst episodes. I can't help it.

thezaxfactor, Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I agree. Thundercats at its worst was still never as bad as some episodes from other shows. Carnage in C minor from Transformers comes to mind LOL.

Daremonger likes this.
  12. Daremonger

13. ButterflyBoy

I dunno which was worse - the sound of the weird singing "language" or the plethora of animation glitches.

Mark M and Daremonger like this.
  14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It's hard to pick one. Animation, concepts and writing in general in the third Transformers season were awful. It's strange how people complain about certain shows then go on like some show were just incredible and without fault. G.I. Joe and Transformers easily fall into that category.

Daremonger likes this.
  15. ButterflyBoy

Of course. One thing that most everyone should give Thundercats credit for is that its animation was always top notch. A lot of (if not all) animated shows had a gradual decline in quality as the series went on (season 1 vs. season 2 onward of Captain Planet is a great example). GI Joe and Transformers, even at their best, did not have animation to match Thundercats.

Mark M and Daremonger like this.
  16. Daremonger

I agree. :)

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Just look at Transformers the movie then look at the 5 episodes that followed it, The Five Faces of Darkness Pt 1-5.

Daremonger likes this.
  18. Ocean Doot

Ocean Doot Active Member

Cool, thanks. Man, I need to buy that book!

Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  19. Ocean Doot

Ocean Doot Active Member

I'd agree with pretty much all of that. Although I kind of liked Ma-Mutt.

I hated when the Thundercats had that robotic dog.

Daremonger likes this.
  20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It's well worth buying for any fan of the show. It is very informative on all aspects of the TV show, from the animation process to the concepts, the design process the writers, episode reviews and the designs and making of the toys and how it was released over seas. My only complaint with the book is that the photo section was bit small and they could have done with adding a lot more pictures.

Daremonger likes this.