Could Super7 do a new animation like they did for He-Man?

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Thunderpants, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Thunderpants

Thunderpants Junior Member

Super7 did an animation in the classic style for He-Man. What would you think of one for Thundercats in the old school style?

Sebastiaan likes this.
  2. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Not a chance. Thundercats animation was miles better than He-Man and they are struggling to recreate that.

jabus, Mark M and Wilycub like this.
  3. Serval

Serval Crabman

I would imagine that it would be rather difficult to acquire the license, probably, even more so for film than toys. It would have to be watered down. Today's generation does not appreciate hi-quality toons. The Thundercats reboot flopped for the same reason. There is a general trend towards simplified CGI reinterpretations (Nick's TMNT). Disney dismantled their animation division (in favor of CGI). It's all about instant gratification and maintaining the bottom line!

Wilycub likes this.
  4. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Agree 100% :thumbsup Just the opening sequence of ThunderCats is still probably better than anything even Disney has ever done.

He-Man used a lot of rotoscoping (tracing over live-action shots of actors) as well as a lot of recycled animation. Also there was a lot of "static" animation, in which only the facial expression or position of the head changed while the rest of the body remained motionless. That is why Super7 was able to create the latest animation for He-Man because they can simply trace over the sequences from the original cartoon.

TCats didn't recycle their animation a lot. Mostly it was the Mumm-Ra transformation scene and the Lion-O summoning scene. Which is why we can usually identify the episode from even a very short clip ThunderCats but it would be impossible to do the same for a short clip of He-Man.

xluckinekostylex, Mark M and adssse like this.
  5. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

If they did, I would be thrilled. There would just be one requirement for me - it should continue from where it ended. Tygra and Pumyra could give the gang on New ThunDera a call because of some emergency on Third Earth. Would much more prefer the setting of the episode to be Third Earth than New ThunDera. It could actually be even better that their discovery was a portal to Etheria / Eternia..... just imagine. :D We've got the comic coming along, so who knows.
    I do agree though, the animation for TC was high level stuff. They'd have to match it!

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I have seen it and I must say I wouldn't want them doing a Thundercats cartoon.
    More to the point He-Man didn't even actually appear in the cartoon. :confused

7. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

He-man is probably not in it because they only have Allan Oppenheimer from the original voice actors available.

On topic: If they do a new ThunderCats based on the old look and story line but in the same animation style as the new Voltron I think it can work!

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Do you mean Super 7 or another company do Thundercats like the new Voltron?

9. Booshman

Even if they nailed the animation, which I doubt anyone could without a hell if a lot of effort. Voice impersonators wouldn't cut it. Panthro, Mumm-Ra and Snarf-alikes, unless 100% convincing would kill it for me.

Wilycub and Mark M like this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Alan Oppenheimer reprised his role as Skeletor for this and he doesn't even sound the same.

11. Booshman

Fair enough. I'll take the original guy just being old over and impression any day though. Larry Kenney sounded cool I'm 2011 tho.

Sebastiaan and Mark M like this.
  12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Considering the animation Super 7 did in this piece I highly doubt they would be able to do anything near the lever of Thundercats.

I agree about the Thundercats opening. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Thundercats, the animation in the intro was amazing. Without a doubt one of the best..if not the best 80's cartoon intro.

13. Sebastiaan

He-Man and Man-At-Arms both appeared in it HOWEVER - only at the end, right after the titles had scrolled. Neither sounded the same either. Only Merman and Beastman sounded to me the way they're supposed to. I liked the cartoon, it was funny. Also finally understand why there was a Skeletor figure released by Super 7 that didn't quite look the way it should. Would like to see a follow up on this one as it is kinda hinted at in the end.

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Prince Adam not He-Man. ;)

Sebastiaan likes this.
  15. Wilycub

I'm in two minds about that. On one hand I would prefer if the original voice actors reprise their roles, but on the other hand, I wouldn't mind if a really good impressionists did the job as well. For me it's important that the character on screen sounds the same way as he/she did in the original cartoons. Otherwise for me the "illusion" will be disappear. :(

I've seen a number of Disney direct to video sequels in which many of the voice actors from the first movie (who are usually big celebrities) are replaced by other voice actors who sound nearly identical. Like in "Mulan 2", the voice of Mushu the dragon was provided by Mark Moseley and he sounded identical to Eddie Murphy, who voiced the character in the first movie. No one would even be able to tell the difference. :)

In contrast, I remember when I saw the extended version of "The Good The Bad and The Ugly" in which they had included a few scenes that were never included in the original movie. Since those scenes didn't have any clean audio to them, Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach were asked to do the dubbing for those scenes and they sounded nothing like they did in the rest of the movie. It's not really their fault, almost 40 years had passed between the two dubbing. As a result the scene seemed really off, like both have a very sore throat. ;) I would have preferred if they had gotten impersonators for both of them for that scene so that it flowed more naturally. But that's just me. :)

Mark M likes this.
  16. Sebastiaan

I agree Wilycub. I wouldn't mind a similar voice. Maybe I was just stupid as a kid, but the Aladdin sequel Return Of Jafar didn't have Robin Williams voice the genie. I never knew it. He sounded quite similar to me. I only realized it later when the third film was released and they made a point of mentioning his return.

Wilycub likes this.
  17. Wilycub

Well then I guess I was a stupid kid too because like you I too didn't know about the change in the voice actors. ;) I think the voice of the Genie in the second one was provided by Dan Castellanata (voice of Homer Simpson). I think he did a pretty decent job. :)

I believe he was hired after Robin Williams had a falling out with the head of Disney and so refused to return for the sequel. By the time the third movie got into production, the head of Disney had changed and the new CEO made peace with Williams and convinced him to do reprise his role again. I think I read somewhere that Castellanata had already recorded some of the Genie's voice but as soon as Williams agreed, his recordings were scrapped. I kinda feel bad for the poor guy. :(

18. Booshman

I think there are probably a lot more voice actors who have an Eddie Murphy or Robin Williams impression down than those who can do a good Mumm-Ra. It's quite specific, and I'm guessing a director would be more forgiving than a die hard fan. It was hard enough trying to entertain a new version of Mumm-Ra in 2011, who in my opinion pailed in comparison to the original. If there were to be an incarnation I had to accept as being the same character, he would have to be bloody good.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Wilycub and Mark M like this.
  19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I enjoyed Maurice La Marche's Vincent Price impersonation of Vincent Price in Scooby Doo Mystery Inc.

Wilycub likes this.
  20. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

The same guys that animated the new Voltron ... I think Thundercats in that animation style but based on the old cartoon will be awesome, the voices like mentioned, well I guess that is a complete different story. But using the old cells to recreate like Super7 is doing with MOTU, that I agree won't be possible!

Wilycub likes this.