Dan Norton announces its over

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by adssse, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Gold Lion

Gold Lion Great Void Dweller

I found that out from the official toonami tumblr. Tonight is the last night they're airing ThunderCats, and when asked about it they said it was because they were losing the rights, because the rights were reverting back to WB. I guess CN had a two year deal. It's hard to find that statement now though.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  2. Morfus

Morfus Junior Member

Id rather watch re-runs of the original show. Tried to watch a few of the newer series episodes....can only sit through it for about 5 minutes. I hate that "newer anime" look to it.....and the storyline is completely F***ED compared to the original. I could care less if its canned or not, either way I wont be paying much attention to it.

3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Morfus, thank you for telling it like it is. :D

Also Lordore agree with some of what you said but the bad writing, character development and overall direction of the show played just as big a part in its down fall than poor toy and merchandise sales.

4. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Wow! I wont hold my breath, but I will take any amount of hope I can get.

5. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

All of us had high hopes for the NS, and those hopes were squashed. :(

6. Gold Lion

I don't remember the OS having much of a central, ongoing plot until the third season. The most it seemed to have was some multipart episodes until New Thundera was created well over halfway through the series. If the NS had been like that I would have been pretty disappointed.

I'm glad Toonami saw what a good show the NS is and ran it not once but twice, along with Sym-Bionic Titan. I wish they had gotten to episode 16 before the rights expired though.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  7. I grew up with the original series. When the new series aired, I watched every episode faithfully, and tried to get my younger brother and sister who are 12 and 14 years younger than me to watch the show as well. They are involved in various fandoms, but aside from Kit and Kat, they found very little in the new series to like. They openly dislike the show, especially the characterization of Lion-O and Cheetara. They grew up the original series on Toonami, and they greatly prefer it to the new series. In their words, they do not "feel the magic" of the original series in the new, and the show to them is completely unrecognizable. Needless to say, they lost interest in it pretty quickly.

8. Daremonger

Maybe that's what happens when a franchise like ThunderCats is left in the dark for too long.

9. Rizefall

Rizefall Swedish Meatball

If anything, the plot is the reason this show BEATS the original. The OS had little to no plot at all being mostly a "monster-of-the-week" show.

When i watched the two first episodes of the NS i was SO HOOKED and even though all the episodes did not deliver the story was still there and it was entertaining, just sucks it had to end in a cliffhanger.

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I would have to disagree with that. The OS had a far better plot and kept the viewers entertained for four seasons. The NS couldn't even keep its viewers interested for one season.....maybe if had been plotted as well as the OS and had some 'monster of the week' episodes to the same standard it wouldn't be cancelled.

11. Rizefall

Rizefall Swedish Meatball

The big reason why the show got canceled is not the plot but the toys and we already know that. The show had good ratings in it's run but failed on the toyside.

The OS did not have much of a plot, far from as big and deep as the NS as The OS was MOSTLY (not all of it) a monster-of-the-week show.

Now, this show would have lasted longer if it was a MOTW show without a doubt as that's mostly the reason you have a toy-driven show. The show is the "big commercial" for the toys and in that aspect the new show failed miserably.

12. Gold Lion

For the first two seasons I can't think of what the central conflict of the OS series was besides "stop whatever evil plan the bad guys have come up with this episode." Season three is where they introduced the Treasures of Thundera and then four had rebuilding New Thundera as the central plot. Even then, that was mainly for the good guys, and I never understood what exactly was the motivation was for the bad guys other than to destroy the Cats just for the sake of it. There wasn't any kind of end goal or driving conflict to move things along, at least not consistently in the first two seasons.

I don't think Toonami would have let the NS run a second time on their block if it got bad ratings. And I've noticed from looking at the ratings on toonamifaithful.com in the last couple months that the show seemed to get a higher rating that Eureka 7 before it fairly often, not to mention the few times it got over a million when it came on at an earlier time. And I think it's worth considering that when the NS was bumped to an earlier slot after Tenchi GXP got bumped down for getting bad ratings, it's "sister" show Sym-Bionic Titan wasn't bumped up as much, and that show gets tons of praise.

So it pretty clearly was a show that Toonami valued because people were watching, and if it was getting bad ratings they likely would have replaced it with a different show after the first time they ran it. It ended up getting pushed back to 3am mainly because they started adding new shows to the lineup, and would have finished their second run of it if the rights expiring didn't force them to cut it short. If the NS didn't prove itself while it was airing on CN, I think it did while it was on Toonami. It certainly helps that Toonami did a better job promoting it than CN.

Besides, plenty of good action shows with decent to good ratings have still been cancelled (Green Lantern TAS, Motorcity, Young Justice, TRON Legacy, Sym-Bionic Titan, Megas XLR, etc.), so if you're going to use cancellation as evidence of the NS failing to be of good quality, then you have to apply that to those shows as well and say they must have been bad shows for getting cancelled. And I don't see many people disputing their quality. I think the big difference between the NS and those shows is simply that it is a reboot, and no matter how good a reboot is it's always going to have some fans dissatisfied, comparing it to the original, and criticizing it for whatever changes there are no matter what. And it really doesn't help when it's a property that hasn't been used much since it's initial conception, unlike a property like Transformers (and even then, every Transformers series no matter how good still gets criticized by fans of older series for being different).

I think a big factor in why the Avatar series has managed to last so long is because Nickelodeon has become a much better network than CN; it gets much higher ratings for starters and seems much better at promoting and marketing its properties (not to mention actually airing reruns), so when Nick does get a good show that show has a much better chance of being a success financially. At least these days anyway, not like when Invader Zim came out and in the earlier days of Avatar when Nick seemed to dislike all the older fans those shows got. But Nick is the only network where I can see any action shows being successful these days. The only exception I can think of is Disney XD's Marvel animation, but I feel that the situation behind the scenes is very different, mainly due to Marvel being a pretty hot property right now (I also think Ultimate Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble are kind of bad and at best very bland, so something is going on. When I think of a bad action cartoon, I think of those two).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I honestly haven't seen any of those shows to comment. I don't want to be arguing with anyone on here, I didn't like it for various reasons and for those reasons, along with poor toy sales, I think it was obvious it was going to get cancelled. It's a pity for those that did like it that they didn't get to end it properly.

Although I will agree with you, being a reboot it had a lot going against it and a lot to live up to and I blame WB for that.

Transformers is a prime (pun intended) example of reboots done right and wrong. Although unlike Thundercats, Transformers never went away like Thundercats. Even when the cartoon ended it still had toys and comics on the shelf. The amount of money Hasbro make from the movies, toys and merchandise allows them to take risks and go in new directions with the different cartoons and movies. Sadly that is a luxury Thundercats could not afford.

14. Daremonger

It's such a darn shame.

15. AngelCityOutlaw

AngelCityOutlaw New Member

It finally airs here in Canada in two months despite being canceled.

I already bought the whole series on DVD and watched it twice though lol

16. retroboy

retroboy New Member

History repeats itself

It feels like He-man 2002 again, a good show cancelled before its prime and to think I was also holding out for a Silverhawks and Centurions reboot.

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I am amazed Hasbro hasn't brought Centurions back yet. I only seen a few episodes of the show but I seen some of the toys and they were great. They big with lots of articulation and tons of accessories you could mix and match.

18. Daremonger

I wonder if we'll ever see a complete Blu-ray set of the 2011 "ThunderCats" series, which should feature 1080p HD video and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio along with the option of TrueHD stereo?