Dan Norton Explains what would have happened.

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by balgus82, Nov 23, 2017.

1. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

Here we go guys. It's finally here. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to it yet, but there's a couple hours worth of content here where Dan Norton is explaining what they had planned to happen in the show next.

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/celestasart-com/thundercats2011restofstory

Edit: I'm about 10 minutes in and this goes more in depth than what Norton had explained a couple years back at a convention. Worth listening to. He's even explaining the belt logos and why they weren't there.

Edit: 2. He seems to be describing it episode by episode.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Oh man, I have been waiting for these answers for soooo long. I can’t wait to give this a listen!

Sebastiaan, Daremonger and balgus82 like this.
  3. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I had a ton of fun listening to the podcast.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  4. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

I must say the way Dan Norton describes how Lion-O goes into the "Book Of Omens" to train to save his people and comes out looking like a full grown Lion-o is brilliant! (Dragon Ball Z moment).

1:39:02 of the audio is my favorite part!

:panthro

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Daremonger and Sebastiaan like this.
  5. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

At long last!!! Got some free time this weekend so it will be time well spent with this podcast. Can't wait.

6. balgus82

Is the Lynxo part on there twice? Like, not Dan saying it again, but *exactly* the same wording and everything, twice.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  7. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

Yes, it is on twice. There's a whole portion - I think about 10 - 15minutes that has repeated itself. I just sat through the whole thing, couldn't wait until the weekend. Man, that was really awesome. I could see the whole rest of the series take place. oh and the shocking deaths!!! Goodness, that's really scary. But I think they would have ended the series on an awesome cliffhanger again. Just when you think Mumm-Ra's gone....
    I'm not sure if I missed the bit on Snarf's background - just heard he was there since forever, and that he had been eaten, electrocuted and all horrible things, but he was still fine. And of course, saved Lion-O - so not sure if I missed it somewhere?
    Grune's return was great. Cheetara's weights a nice twist. A bulkier Lion-O sounds cool! And then he ends up hooking up with.... what?!!!!!! And yea, spoiler, Bengali does appear. And Lynx-O's story has a proper end (didn't expect that!!!!). Oh and Safari Joe?!!! Whoda thunk?! Hachiman is back too!!!!
    My biggest disappointment is how Lego was meant to do a whole TC thing, but somewhere things got messed up and that turned into Chima (or whatever it is called). So we all did pick up on those designs. It was heartbreaking to hear that Dan and the gang knew TC was over when CN started airing that stuff. And it was very clear that CN did not care for TC. Man, those toy designs sound so cool!!!!! Now I can rest easy knowing how the story ended. Would have made for one helluva awesome series. Thanks Dan and Celesta and Tim for this great podcast. Loved it. Go listen guys, it is SO worth it.

8. balgus82

This makes me sad that it didn't get just one more season. Seems like the next one would've wrapped things up pretty well for the most part.

9. balgus82

10. Lion-O-hearted

Lion-O-hearted Junior Member

After listening to the podcast, the feelings were bittersweet. It was great to hear all of the different storylines, the plot twists, and the potential merchandise that could have been produced. And yet, we will not likely see it come to fruition. :( I cannot believe Warner Bros. said no to all of this.

11. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Celesta asked me to inquire if anyone noted when the repeated portion about Lynxo occurred? She would like to remove the duplication and re post to soundcloud.

BTW, everyone please give her s thanks for putting this together as I know that there was a ton of effort and passion invested!

12. balgus82

It wasn't far from the beginning. Let me see..

Edit:
    Lynxo starts about 20 minutes in
    Lynxo part repeats about 38 minutes in

Also the part about Snarf's cage repeats. 14:40 minutes and 57 minutes was Snarf's cage.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  13. Lion-O-hearted

Lion-O-hearted Junior Member

I believe the section that repeats is from 38:16 to 57:24.

14. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Thank you both for your insight! I am sure she is reading and will be editing this!

balgus82 likes this.
  15. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Just got through listening to this and to me the show sounds like more of the same. So much ridiculous stuff for the sake of it, it sounds like bad fan-fiction.

The Thundercats are the bad guys. (killing all the reptilian women and kids)
    Lynxo is killed.
    Cheetara is basically the Flash and can access the speed force.
    Lion-O leaves and Mumm-Ra kick the remaining cats arses while he's away. (Thundercats the Return?)
    Pumyra turns into an insect and is killed by Tygra.
    Cheetara and Tygra have a kid, which is Bengali.
    Grune has 4 arms.
    Tygra dies saving Lion-O, and is possibly resurrected.
    Lion-O gets together with a grown up Wily Kit.

I'm sure there were some more I missed, but these are the main ones that stood out to me, absolute tripe.

KosmoKat, catgurl and Mark M like this.
  16. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

CN probably read the storyline for Thundercats and decided to pull the plug for season 2 because it was too violent for kids, but we all know the main reason CN had a change of heart with this series due to the poor toy sales!

Thus Chima aka ThunderCats knockoff was born, especially cause it was more kid friendlier than our beloved ThunderCats!

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Chima wasn't the reason Thundercats was cancelled.

catgurl likes this.
  18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Great interview.
    Although this really highlights why the show was cancelled and did not succeed as planned.
    The creative team were to blame.
    Too many terrible ideas that were very poorly executed by the creative and writer teams.
    The creative team made a show that did not appeal to the target audience of children that Warner Bros. wanted it aimed at. Children won't want toys of cartoon characters they aren't interested in.
    Bandai, toy sales, Lego Chima and Cartoon Network did not cause the series to be cancelled.
    The failing of the 2011 falls on the shoulders of the creative team.

catgurl likes this.
  19. balgus82

I can't blame the creative team. And, no, just because you don't like the direction personally, doesn't mean everyone didn't like it. The fact remains that the show itself got good ratings. The show wasn't the problem. The problem was they didn't know how to market it and merchandise sales suffered.

xluckinekostylex likes this.
  20. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

It's very difficult to market toys for a show that isn't geared towards the age range of the toys. It also doesn't help that the episodes were so sporadically broadcast. I had a few friends that would ask me over and over when the next episode was on. Even as the resident Thundercats fan, I had a hard time keeping up to date with that info.

The creative team were not fully to blame, but every person I know in the real world who watched said that the first 2 episodes were great, after that it wasn't as strong, and if they continued to watch, it had completely derailed by the end of the run.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017