Do I attempt repairs or no?

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by techietaichi, Feb 19, 2014.

1. techietaichi

techietaichi Junior Member

[​IMG]
    As it was in the listing.

So after a couple of weeks of excited anticipation to receive my MOC Slithe, it arrived today. The thing is, when I saw the packaging it was delivered in, some flimsy padded mailing envelope, my heart sank. Without even touching it I already knew it would be damaged. It's journey was from Chatham, Kent in the U.K. to Haverhill, MA., over 3000 miles. Of course, when I opened it, my assumption was confirmed. The top right of the blister was utterly crushed in and separated from the card. It pains me now even talking about it.

[​IMG]
    Links below.

Luckily though, Slithe and his accessories were spared from any damage at all. So what are my options now guys? I think I could successfully re-secure the blister to the card, but the blister itself is just plain done. I'm not so sure what to do. Would I be devaluing it more? It'll never be what it once was, but it would be better than it is now.

1. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x192/Mod-Zoo/Axion%20Figgas/DSC00459_zps0bc87b55.jpg

2. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x192/Mod-Zoo/Axion Figgas/DSC00457_zps2a630b03.jpg

3. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x192/Mod-Zoo/Axion Figgas/DSC00458_zpsc4136849.jpg

By the way, the photos above were taken after I popped out the blister. It looks bad, but was way worse. Dang I'm still pi**ed!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I am really sorry to hear about that. I have had similar happen through shipping and it is extremely frustrating/disappointing. Have you contacted the seller? I have often found that a good seller is willing to provide a partial refund (although it will not repair the damage).

As far as whether to go about trying to fix the package I guess it is up to personal preference. Are you looking to retain maximum value or make it as aesthetically pleasing for your own display. As far as my own collection, I attempt to straighten bent cards/remove stickers but have no yet attempted to adhere a blister.

Let us know how things turn out.

3. techietaichi

Hey adssse. You know, I did contact the seller and voiced my concerns as tactfully as I could, yet in a stern way. I say that because, well the guy's British. Different deck of cards over there. Anyways, he was very accommodating and saw fit to give me a full refund. Frankly, I was kind of amazed as I was not expecting that. That said, it's a free piece. Can you believe it? But still, it looks like crap. Perhaps the hardest piece to get and it's the ugliest. Well, I think I'm going to reattach the blister. Fingers crossed I don't fudge it up.

4. Alluro Fan

Alluro Fan Vortex Explorer

I managed to snag a Slithe for a little over $50 and it too came from a UK seller. Fortunately though for me he packed it in a box and it arrived in excellent condition. As for rarest piece, I have to bestow that distinction on the Tiger flyer w/ Tygus. Only 1 on EBay and its over $62!

5. techietaichi

Yeah, you know after this incident I'm seriously considering selling this one and using the money to apply towards another. I have to have a M/NM example or I consider my collection to be marred. In regards to the Tiger Flyer, I scored one a few weeks ago for just a hair under $27! I did make an exception though as I bought it in a "lot". It was paired with a Lion-O Thunder Racer. That piece will go on the market soon since I have two and I'm hoping to score at least $16 for it. That said, my flyer will have cost me around $38 which I'd still consider a sweet deal. You're right man, I stared at that Flyer for well over a month before I pulled the trigger. A tough piece to acquire indeed.

6. Alluro Fan

Was it that $75.09 Buy It Now that had the Tiger Flyer with 2 Thunder Racers?

7. techietaichi

Nope, but I do remember that listing. I went to see if it was still up, but that's long gone. As far as the repair goes, I went and fiddled with it today and for what it's worth it's a couple steps towards decent even with a bent up blister. I checked on another "Slithe" and the lowest right now including shipping's $67 dollars! GAH! I'll hold on to mine as a filler until one pops up that's more reasonably priced.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  8. Alluro Fan

You may have to just permanently settle for the Slithe you have, cause its near impossible to find one for $50 or cheaper. At least the figure itself wasn't damaged any. Another rare figure is the 6 inch Tygra. He's usually at least $40, but I managed to get one for a little over $23 from yet another UK seller. Them Brits are mighty reasonable to deal with.

9. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

techietaichi, thats great that you were able to obtain a refund. At least whatever you decide to do with it is gravy.

I have still been keeping an eye out for a good deal on a flyer for a while. I will agree with you guys that they are hard to come by (especially on a limited budget). I am also still looking to pick up a deluxe panthro.

10. techietaichi

Well, I checked on one tonight and there's a seller trying to off his for $65 + $10 shipping, whew! Anyways, I let 'em know that there's another fella selling his for $50, so I offered him $40. Doubt he'll take it, but I figure it will go one of three ways. 1) He'll want to get the sale and counter me $45 2) He'll go buy the other seller's Slithe than jack up his price to $70-$75 or 3) he'll tell me to go take a long walk on a short pier. We'll see what transpires.

I checked out a deluxe Panthro and there's one out of the UK for $31 USD. Here's a LINK. Cheapest I found.
    Merged Post:
    Well, I got a message and it looks like the guy settled for $25 less than he was asking, he accepted my $40 offer! But, shipping was still $9.50 so yeah, $50 total. Daggonit!, this Slithe piece is one tough nut. That said though, anyone interested in a Deluxe Slithe before I cast it on eBay? I do have to deal with shipping so say $35? I dunno, let me know if your interested.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  11. Alluro Fan

Congratulations on the new Slithe. Hopefully this one arrives in better condition. You could probably take your other one and put it on Ebay for $50 and make back most of what you spent for the better one.

12. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I am also glad to hear that everything worked out for you and thanks for checking on the deluxe Panthro.