Dr Dometone

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Captain Shiner, May 11, 2018.

1. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

This episode is an embarrassment isn't it? Arguably the worst of season 1. The plot is so far removed from the style of the show it's ridiculous. I hate Dr Dometone, hate Scrape, there's too much info to take in in the short running time. Lion-O and Wily-Kat is silly shark outfits.

It really is bad.

2. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

I like the episode just fine. It's no "The Ghost Warrior" or "Pumm-Ra", but I always like the smaller adventures that show more of the show's universe. I agree that some stuff is a bit silly or odd, but it was made for younger viewers, right?

Wilycub likes this.
  3. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

Yeah, I get that, but you need to stay within the parameters of the shows basic premise, which this did not in my view.

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.
  4. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

Yeah, kinda agree.. but I still like it; the 2 frog Mechs - Samson & Hercules, the "Great Oceanic Plug", Scrape's electric eel ship... pretty high concept, right? Classic Bill Overgard! + nice quote from Wilykat: "A fissure? Oh, you mean a big crack..."

And yeah, the shark suits are a bit silly. :) 7/10 for me.

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I always quite liked this episode. It was never an absolute favourite like some others but I thought it was quite fun.
    I thought the Shark suits were a pretty clever bit of camouflage.
    This episode also had some cool fights with giant robotic frogs and eels. As a big fan of Transformers and Japanese robot cartoon shows I really liked this part of it. :D

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  6. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I liked the episode even though it didn't feel like ThunderCats. In the season-one finale "Fond Memories," Mumm-Ra dressed up as Dr. Dometone to lure Lion-O into a trap.

7. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I actually enjoy the episode as well. It is most definitely an Overgard creation which always teeters on the edge of cannon, but still very enjoyable.

8. catgurl

catgurl Moleman

I'm with the majority here. I wouldn't classify Dr. Dometone as even a bad episode, let alone the worst of Season 1. It's a pretty good ep. The story is engaging, the new characters are interesting, and the animation is very good.

Sure it doesn't fit into the usual formulaic TCs vs Mumm-Ra/Mutants, but that's actually a good thing. Every now and then we need a break from that formula and there were many episodes just like Dr. D eg. Mandora The Evil Chaser, Turmagar the Tuska, Terror of Hammerhand, Good and Ugly etc. They all employed the "TC helping a new species/characters to fight off a new evil threat". That's not straying away from what the TC usually do.

If you ask me, the worst ep from S1 is either Trouble with Thunderkittens, Mumm-Rana or Eye of the Beholder. Even their animation quality is horrible.

9. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

Again, fair enough. I’ve never enjoyed it because nothing enjoyable happens but that’s just my view

Hate it when Overgard goes off piste.

catgurl likes this.
  10. catgurl

catgurl Moleman

Totally agree with you there mate! But I think the real person to blame for that is Peter Lawrence. It's no question that Overgaard was a very talented writer, but he often let his imagination run lose, ignoring continuity and other important rules established in the mythos. It was Lawrence's job to keep an eye on all that and ask Overgaard to change the things which contradict what has already been established. Lawrence just let Overgaard get away with whatever he wanted. Maybe they were buddies or something. I don't know.

The whole breathing in space thing should NEVER have been given an A-OK by Lawrence. It pretty much ignores the whole purpose why the TCats made the many light year journey across the universe in order to come to Earth which has a breathable atmosphere.

11. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

I love Mumm-Rana. I always wanted to see more of her and Wizz-Ra.

12. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

I never liked Mumm-Rana, not the character niether the episode (well, I liked that Tygra was shown a lot, but he was almost a sidekick in that one, like Robin... Mumm-Rana didn't even teleport him to the Lair as she did with lion-O and Snarf, but let him make all his way running through the forest).

13. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

Not only breathing in space, but being underwater an inordinate amount of time

14. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

Dimension Doom was definitely an episode that could have used two parts. 20 minutes is just not enough time sometimes

catgurl likes this.
  15. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend