Elite’s ThunderCats – a vintage video game tale

Discussion in 'Vintage Collectables' started by Mark / Grizzlor, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

The one thing I found interesting about Larry Bundy, Jr.'s video is the unreleased "ThunderCats" video game for the Nintendo Entertainment System. If that game were released in 1989, it would've been pretty enjoyable. It was also the year Warner Bros. purchased Lorimar Productions and assumed distribution of "ThunderCats."

3. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

Wow, that's a great video! Larry really knows his stuff :) I'm still trying to complete my ThunderCats videogame collection, and now I have to find those other 2 games as well... o to be an obsessive collector :rolleyes:

4. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I remember seeing this a while back. It's a shame Thundercats never got its full due on the video game market.

5. Guru Larry

Guru Larry New Member

Thanks dude :D I try to find stories about old video games that no one has really uncovered before.

I didn't want the video to run too long (and in hindsight, should have cut it down even further) But I think another reason why there was no console or arcade game was just bad timing.

I mean ThunderCats was released in 1985, (just like the NES), So too later for an Atari 2600 game (unlike He-Man Etc.) but the Nintendo didn't really start to become massive until I'd say 1987, and ThunderCats' popularity had peaked by then.

Same reason Konami didn't touch it, They didn't get the licensed arcade spark until Ninja Turtles became a huge money spinner for them until 1988, If ThunderCats was big at that time, they certainly would have snapped up the arcade rights. I mean they bought cartoon rights to shows that bombed like Bucky O' Hare and The Wild West Cow-Boys of Moo Mesa, and even cartoons that didn't even make it past the pilot, like Zen: The Intergalactic Ninja.

You could argue that "But, GI Joe got a NES game", but GI Joe was foremost a toyline than a cartoon.

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I remember seeing this video a while back. Great video Larry, really enjoyed it.

7. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

Larry (and others), this image has been on my computer for ages, came across it on eBay 10 years ago, was sold before I could buy it. I doubt it's real, but maybe? Thoughts?

Attached Files:

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Could be an unlicensed port.

9. Mongor

Mongor Laser Beast TC.org Staff

I can confirm that the game exists but I think it is unlicensed. When I was doing research in Brazil for my PhD dissertation, I saw a copy of this game in a vintage toy store. It was too expensive for me at the time; I think the price was about $250. Anyway, I asked about it and wanted to verify the cartridge worked. The store clerk only showed me the intro, which was a shortened version of the show intro. The back of the cartridge package was in Portuguese and I think it had the name of a Brazilian company. I wish I could remember more. Perhaps a forum member from Brazil could provide additional details.

10. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

My thoughts exactly!

Aha, that's very interesting indeed! The search continues!:)