Expectations...?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by Bengali, May 1, 2008.

1. Bengali

Bengali Rampager

I have an overwhelming fear that the upcoming Tcats movie will totally.....suck. I dunno why. I guess its all the ****py movies and toons that are out these days. I'm paranoid that Tcats will be vacuumed into that void of trash. I just dont wanna see any of the magic taken away. I dont want new outfits for the cats, I dont want a new sword design...I just want it to be as close to the original cartoon as possible...but I know that wont be :(

Does anybody else feel the same way? I mean, optimism can only go for so long....

2. Chromeagle

Chromeagle Barbarian

I agree. I also would like it to be as close to the original as possible. I would be happy if it was like what they did with MOTU a few years back, at least everybody looked the same, just a little updated.

3. AlexofThundera

AlexofThundera Plun-Darr Legend

Right now I am trying to be as optimistic as possible. I am not a fan of WB's, but because I love Thundercats so much, I need to be positive and hope the good vibes rub off on them.:) So far we have only had good news so I am happy.

I do think though that if you are expecting every single detail from the original toon to remain intact, you will not be happy. They made changes in the updated comic book series, and I expect even more for the movie.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  4. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

1. Don't watch the movie. ;)

2. The movie is not linked to the original series...so that means, you always have the 80s classic to look forward to.

3. If you don't want changes, then it will totally suck for you. :(

Sorry, gotta be blunt. Somebody has to say it.

5. Bengali

Bengali Rampager

Hmm...What do you mean by this?

Its just that for some reason I see all the ThunderCats being made into 5 feet tall teenagers with ridiculous cartoony bodies. [​IMG]

6. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new ThunderCats movie - my one hope is that they can create something like Spider-Man or Batman Begins, i.e. that adapts the franchise to the big screen but manages to say true to the spirit and the essence of the source material. From what I've seen so far, it gives me cause for (albeit qualified) optimism! :)

I might be wrong, but I think what Manny means is that there's a 99.9% chance that this movie won't be a continuation of the original cartoon series but a "reboot" of the continuity, and therefore some changes are likely to occur. :)

That's my one fear, but actually when I think of Jerry O'Flaherty's background, as well as look at Charlie Wen's work, I think we might just succeed in dodging that bullet. Now, I still think there will be character design changes, some of which will be liked and some hated, but it looks likely that the movie will have a relatively serious tone, and use relatively straightforward (i.e., non-"kiddie" or cartoony) character designs! :)

Take care... :)

7. AlexofThundera

IMHO, I don't believe we will get a "repackaged" version of Thundercats geared towards kids. WB has to know that the majority of Thundercats fans are people like us, in our 20's, 30's, who grew up watching the cartoon in the 80's. If the movie is going to be successful, it has to appeal to us.

Also, remember that the Thundercats rock band idea was shot down, so that is a good indicator that WB is not looking at making a "kids movie". <Crosses fingers and hopes he is right>

8. Bengali

Bengali Rampager

I would luv a design similar to this done for the movie...in cgi it would look amazing. Its dark and gritty yet holds the spirit of the cartoon perfectly. Its from the pumm-ra episode vhs box art. ;) >>

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  9. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

I (partially) disagree - I have to be honest and say that original ThunderCats fans from back in the day would make up very much the minority of the audience that WB would be targetting this film towards, at least that would be their hope. If you look at the number of signatures the Larry Kenney petition has generated so far, it doesn't get close to four figures - now, you can bet your life that there's a hell of a lot more ThunderCats fans in the world than that, otherwise the DVDs wouldn't sell, but even so, this film will need to bring in a whole new audience, in addition to us old school fans, to be financially viable, at least IMO. :)

Where WB can play it smart is to follow the trend of the Transformers movie - a new re-imagining of the universe, targetted and marketed towards a widespread audience (adults and kids alike, old and new fans alike), but with lots of nods to the old-school fans in terms of dialogue, references, etc., that they will get and appreciate. They can also do it by being faithful to the spirit of the original source material. :)

I think the problem with the ThunderCats rock band idea is that WB probably felt the re-envisioning of the TCats concept in that way probably wasn't worth the 100% negativity that that would generate towards the brand - although I fervently believe that the CGI movie will be targetted towards a large audience range (including kids), IMO WB are savvy enough to know that there is an adult fanbase out there for the TCats that they would be best not to alienate those people - for, they may at some future date make use of the property for something targetted at an older audience (such as the DC/Wildstorm comics, aimed squarely at older fans of the series), in which case they will still need those people on board! :)

I don't think that ThunderCats on the big screen will be a straight-out "kids movie", but I think it will be geared, like Transformers, so that it appeals both to old-school, adult fans of the series, and a potential new, young audience whose first exposure to the ThunderCats will be via this movie! :)

Take care... :)

10. AlexofThundera

This is what I am hoping for, and I guess what I meant in my above post, that I don't think WB will strictly target one specific audience (kids). It wouldn't be smart. They need something that everyone across the board can enjoy, and hopefully be successful enough to warrant the release of new figures, sequels, etc...

11. flashjack

flashjack New Member

I don't think we have much to worry about. Studios these days are alot more aware and respectful of the toy (and comic) properties they acquire. They know if they get it right for the fans = big money.

12. JimmyP$Hayes

JimmyP$Hayes Active Member

I'll be the first to admit, I'm getting my hopes up WAY too high for this movie. But, I'm really hoping that it'll be along the same lines as Transformers, making a new continuity that doesn't trounce the old one too bad.
    -I think with the success of Transformers, studios are going to pay closer attention to the up and coming movies based on cartoons/action figures.