First Impressions of the SDCC Prototypes

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Mark M, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I thought we could start this forum off with a new thread talking about our first impressions of the Mattel prototypes and what we would like to see changed.

Jackalman is pretty much perfect in every way.

I think Lion-O's face needs a little work. The eyebrows thinned down and to lose the broad chin as it is quite reminiscent of the Ed McGinnis comic art work.
    I also think the claw shield looks far to big and bulky and not as sleek as it looked in the cartoon.
    Also the cat symbol on the sword needs corrected.
    If those issues were fixed I think Lion-O would be absolutely perfect.

I remember 4H saying the first MOTUC figures were based off the original card back art, but the Filmation figures showed at SDCC looked stunning so I really hope they take this route with the Thundercats Classics.

2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I would essentially echo your comments Mark. Jackalman (although slightly bulked up) looks outstanding to me. I am very impressed! Lion-O could use a couple of minor tweaks (eyebrows and cat symbol tops for me) but I am very pleased with him overall. What a great time to be a Thundercats fan!!

3. sandrockgundam0

sandrockgundam0 Berbill

Pretty sure general consensus is that Lion-O's face needs work and its definitely not the finished product.

I love Jackalman's look though, he looks pretty close to the show which is what I want to see out of this line as much as possible.

4. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I think the Lion-O and Jackalman figures look good despite their flaws. I thought they were gonna use Vultureman in Jackalman's place, though.

5. sandrockgundam0

sandrockgundam0 Berbill

Yeah, I'd heard the same thing and then when the reveal happened it was Jackalman instead.

6. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Nice idea for a new thread. While I agree with almost all the tweaks that folks have suggested here, I felt that a picture saves a thousand words, so I cooked up this little edited photo to show the changes I would like to see made. :)
    [​IMG]

Basically, here's a summary of the changes:
    1. Redid the eyes and eyebrows
    2. Redid the jaw and lower face structure
    3. Redid the hair to better match the cartoon hair outline
    4. Curved the shoulder straps
    5. Gave the SoO a white blade (not to crazy about it being chrome entirely!)
    6. Fixed the Cat Symbol on the SoO
    7. Redid the Claw Shield to resemble the cartoon version.

Hope you guys like my little effort. I'm thinking about doing my predicted version of what Mattel's Tygra might look like. :)

7. sandrockgundam0

sandrockgundam0 Berbill

I like your changes, keeps it more in line with what is expected. I would love to see a Tygra mock up, he's always been my favorite.

8. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

That looks great Wilycub! I hope someone at Mattel is taking a peek at our forums as this is near ideal!

I would also really like to see what you cook up for Tygra and any others you find time for!

9. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

I'd desperately like the new Mattel Thundercats to be a Reissue of the LJN line, just to remind to the new fans here, that we've had enough interpretations already! The Icon Heroes staction figures, the Bandai 6'' Lion-o, Lion-O 8'' Classic, the PCS Lion-o statue, Mezco Tcats.

It's high time they made a classic look as accurate as possible to the original toyline, as Mattel did for the MOtu line

10. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

The classic toyline wasn't all accurate to the TV show, but this line from Mattel will be.

Definitely wouldn't mind a commemorative type of release with the reissue of the LJN line, but I want figures based on the proper cartoon look first.

11. Daremonger

Which company do you have in mind for a reissue of the LJN "ThunderCats" line?

12. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I completely agree. I would really like to see commemorative but I want to see what Mattel and the 4H can do with making it as close to cartoon accurate as possible. I think it would be great if perhaps they could do commemorative special releases or subscription only figures as there are not that many of the LJN figures to replicate.
    Merged Post:
    Not that I think that they are the most qualified, but it would be kinda cool to see Jakk's Pacific do a commemorative line due to its relationship to LJN.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  13. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

[​IMG]

Here is a side by side comparison of the prototype vs. Wilycub's modifications.

14. eternian phoeni

eternian phoeni Moleman

Fantastic job Wilycub! Hope the 4H check out your changes especially to the face!

15. Daremonger

Wilycub, you did a great job with Lion-O's face and his Claw Shield. They look much better than the originals.

16. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Jakks Pacific is also what I had in mind due to the history with LJN, though at this point I wouldn't mind if Mattel wants to introduce that line too.

I hope Mattel is paying attention to the changes made by Wilycub cause his tweaks to Lion-O's face especially to the eyes and jaw really bring out the character.

But there is one aspect of the overall design that I still wonder if it can be changed. Lion-O's body skin tone.

I know Lion-O's look has never been consistent throughout the show and in lot of promo images his body has the more yellow hue to it. But on the cartoon it is very mild yellow and has a more cream/beige skin color feel to it.

If you notice in this group shot, Cheetara's legs has that bright yellow color, but Lion-O not so much. The current prototype has the yellow body color almost similar to Cheetara. I think it would be better if it matches the skin color as seen in some of the later screenshots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Here's Wilycub's awesome manip with the colours adjusted to be more show accurate.

[​IMG]

18. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Thanks Booshman, that's so much better :). His face especially doesn't have that dark tan look anymore.

19. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I completely agree with the lighter skin tone. I thought I was excited before but seeing what a big difference a few little changes made has me over the moon!

20. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Thank you guys for all the kind words! I\'m very happy that you liked my humble attempt. :)

I completely agree with Vivek about the skin tone. I\'ve never liked Lion-O\'s look in episodes where his body is overly yellow. The cream/beige/skin tone is perfect.

Great job on adjusting the colors Booshman! Lion-O looks awesome now! :thumbsup: